Author Topic: Auger blades  (Read 1863 times)

Offline MainelyNH

• IceShanty Rookie
Auger blades
« on: Feb 21, 2018, 10:11 PM »
Looking for input on how other people care for their auger blades. Do you just replace yours when they're dull or have them sharpened? Does anyone sharpen their own? If so, how?

I managed to buy an 8" hand auger from Bass Pro a few years ago for about $12. Cut well over 100 holes with the same blades and now they are really at the point of uselessness. I ran an extra fine hand file over them the straighten the edges back out and the auger cuts better now. But I would really like to see them hair shaving sharp like they were when they were new.
A life lived outdoors is a life well lived.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Auger blades
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2018, 11:51 PM »
Auger blades are kind of a pain. Some can be sharpened somewhat easily but most are difficult unless you're good at sharpening. Match the angle that's already on the blade and you're golden but that's easier said than done. There's a thread somewhere on here with info on how

Offline MainelyNH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2018, 12:35 AM »
My blades are curved a bit too so I figured the long file would follow the angle well enough. I'll lost for the post you mentioned. Thanks!

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2018, 04:29 AM »

There are lots of good threads with details about sharpening...

Here is a good one:

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=309016.msg3699607#msg3699607

Buy a second set and practice on your dull set.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2018, 04:34 PM »
I have a few sets of blades and when they get dull I send them to Fish307.com to have them sharpened, they do a great job and their service is top notch.

Offline MainelyNH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2018, 04:38 PM »
There are lots of good threads with details about sharpening...

Here is a good one:

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=309016.msg3699607#msg3699607

Buy a second set and practice on your dull set.

Thanks! That was a pretty informative post. Do you sharpen your own blades?

Offline CA1492

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2018, 08:32 PM »
Both of my auger blades are chipper style. So thy have a flat grind.
I find it better to do a touch up after a couple of trips.
That way I can follow the existing angle.

Before I start I color the edge I'm going to file with a sharpie.  That way I have a better chance of taking an even amount off.

I like to use diamond files because they will work on hardened steel.  I think they are EZ file brand.

~CA1492

Build a man a fire and he is warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2018, 03:01 AM »
Thanks! That was a pretty informative post. Do you sharpen your own blades?

I have not yet - I was researching doing it due to an issue I had having a set sharpened - but that was resolved. On my hand auger I do have a spare set and plan on giving this a shot.

Offline onehitters21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2018, 05:11 AM »
I went to get mine sharpened by a  professional he told me the angle on the blade is hard to match. So I just by new ones so I don’t find out the hard way the sharpening didn’t work

Offline minnook

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2018, 05:18 AM »
yes if the company doesnt do auger blades, your better off to replace learned the har way years ago

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2018, 07:51 AM »
I buy new ones ebay in july, a lot cheaper, sharpening is a temp fix. nothing beats new blades IMO
Salmonemia

Offline MainelyNH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2018, 05:41 PM »
So, I did end up buying new blades. 2 sets actually. Bass pro had replacements for $12. Not bad. I also tried my hand (literally!) at sharpening the old ones. Used 3 stones then I stropped them on a piece of leather. Took about an hour and a half. They work great! Zipped through 14" of ice with little effort. Swapped them out for a new pair and I can't tell the difference. Not sure how long my edge will last compared to factory edges so I'll save them as backups.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2018, 09:01 PM »
Congrats on getting it well done, MainelyNH ! :thumbsup:

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2018, 03:06 AM »
So, I did end up buying new blades. 2 sets actually. Bass pro had replacements for $12. Not bad. I also tried my hand (literally!) at sharpening the old ones. Used 3 stones then I stropped them on a piece of leather. Took about an hour and a half. They work great! Zipped through 14" of ice with little effort. Swapped them out for a new pair and I can't tell the difference. Not sure how long my edge will last compared to factory edges so I'll save them as backups.

Nice job - you'll never have to deal with dull blades if you can put a decent edge on them yourself...

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2018, 06:58 AM »
I bought 1 of these a few weeks ago. Seems to work but haven't tested it too much. I have their knife sharpener and it works like magic!!

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0027VRU6C/ref=pe_3034960_236394800_TE_dp_1
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline WhereDaRainbows

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 27, 2018, 07:34 PM »
Superior saw in Manchester sharpens auger blades for cheap money. They did mine on my Honda strikemaster and they cut great
"I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret." -- Roderick Haig-Brown

Offline MainelyNH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 28, 2018, 04:54 PM »
Nice job - you'll never have to deal with dull blades if you can put a decent edge on them yourself...
Congrats on getting it well done, MainelyNH ! :thumbsup:

Thanks! I think 1 1/2 hours of "work" was time well spent to save $50-$60. Granted I did buy new ones anyway but they were cheap. Cheap auger, cheap blades but the thing works great. Now I think that I'll have at least a moderate amount of success with the blade on my Model 30.

Offline MainelyNH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 28, 2018, 04:57 PM »
Superior saw in Manchester sharpens auger blades for cheap money. They did mine on my Honda strikemaster and they cut great

Oh cool! My dad lives in Manch. I'll try and stop in next time I'm down there to visit.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.