Author Topic: coroplast shack and Menards storage shed  (Read 118226 times)

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: coroplast shack
« Reply #30 on: Jan 10, 2007, 07:20 PM »
48 sq. feet, at 125 lbs., with a 6 foot height!  :o That's a World Record, Mainedog!!  :bow: :bow: :bow:

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 11, 2007, 12:17 AM »
Awesome shack Mainedog  ;D ;D ;D
If you are worried about UV damage from the sun you can always paint it, most paints protect against UV rays, as for damage during transport you can always brace it inside just during transport

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 15, 2007, 11:00 PM »
I got the coroplast shack out on the ice this weekend.  A few of comments.
1) It's very warm!  I used a Coleman model 5033 (?) catalytic heater and it's too warm.
This was with temps outside in the teens, and the wind howling!  My Buddy heater kept
blowing out...yes I know there is a fix...but why should I have to modify something I spent
so much for in the first place?....anyone need a Buddy heater?

2) It's very light.  It must be anchored.  I stepped into it before it was tied down, and the whole shack moved...  Very easy to reposition.  Don't need a floor jack to block it up...My friend's 8 year old pulled it off the ice...

3) Plenty of room for 2 people to fish, or 3 or 4 people to get out of the wind/cold and warm up.

4) Just be careful of where you push...only push against the corners!  No breakage, just know where the supports are....

5) I need to add some small hooks inside to hang things (gloves, coats, etc), and to mount the flag holder ( Ice Shanty flag needs to be flown from this one!)

A couple pictures of the maiden voyage.  A tired Mrs. Mainedog jigging (oh, and she's using my LX5!).

The tiredness can be partly explained by 1) arriving at camp at 1:30am Saturday morning (kind of normal since we left after work on Friday...6 1/2 hr drive).  2) broken water pipe in camp...I cut some copper and sweated a couple pipe joints at 2:30 am!  Oh boy!  3) local friend was going to show up at camp around 8am to fish!

So far, the coroplast shack is exceeding expectations.  I will keep you posted.

Oh yes, only 1 small LL salmon.  Very slow!

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "What do you do with all the ice you catch?"
« Reply #33 on: Jan 16, 2007, 07:25 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Great pic!  A "hardside" shack that weights in less than some portable shanties!

Offline Flagtailhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 16, 2007, 01:32 PM »
Such nice fit and finish.  Great work Mainedog!  Thanks for sharing.

Offline masterfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 21, 2007, 08:11 AM »
yea nice shack... how much a sheet does it cost

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 21, 2007, 10:58 AM »
yea nice shack... how much a sheet does it cost
A 4x8 sheet of the 4mm was a little over $14 a sheet, and much lighter than Luan plywood!

Offline oldfox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 21, 2007, 11:17 AM »
Hey Mainedog...how did it weather those high winds last night, or did'nt you get them up there?

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 21, 2007, 01:48 PM »
Don't know.  It's up at my camp in Forest City, and I'm not there during the week.  Last weekend it was fine. I'll have to make a call or two and find out.  It's held up pretty good since I built it...completed it over Thanksgiving week.  There's been some high winds since then, and it did okay.  I keep a 5 gallon bucket that has been filled with cememt in it when its parked next to my shed at camp.  I do have to anchor it while out on the ice though...

Offline fm50ford

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 21, 2007, 08:22 PM »
Mainedog
Nice shack What is the roof made of

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 22, 2007, 09:21 AM »
same as the sides...coroplast, 1" foam, and 3/4"x3/4" pine.
I painted the coroplast black.

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 25, 2007, 09:40 PM »
:thumbsup:  :thumbsup: The shack is SWEET! GREAT IDEA!! Mainedog!!  :bow:  :bow:

Offline college

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 26, 2007, 02:51 PM »
Hey Mainedog, that's the most wicked cool shack design I've ever seen on IS!
Way to go!

Offline KJB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 26, 2007, 03:43 PM »
sweet shack :) can't wait to hear it last the winter....I did the inside of my camper conversion with the "plastic Cardboard" looking stuff-not sure of the brand and painted it with rustoleum gloss black paint, so far the paint has stayed on it.   anyway awesome shack!!!
kjb

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 03, 2007, 03:16 PM »
Hey Mainedog...how did it weather those high winds last night, or did'nt you get them up there?

It did okay.  I have it on blocks next to my shed at camp (where I built it in the earlier pictures).  I will add that I keep a 5gallon plastic bucket that has been filled with cement in it to keep it from blowing away.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Mar 09, 2007, 08:48 AM »
I had a little bit of a mishap a few weekends ago.   I was pulling the coroplast shack out onto the lake behind my snowsled.  I admit, I was in a rush and driving a bit faster than I should have (30mph).  I was driving on about a 9" layer of snow, the top 2" of hard crust.  The snowsled broke through without a problem.  One runner of the shack dropped down into the sled trail, the other runner stayed up on the crust.  Did I say it was really windy?  Well for a few seconds I was towing a large white box kite!
The shack landed on its side, one eye-bolt bent and opened up.  I stopped pretty quick.  Got out my vise grips, bent the eye-bolt back into useable condition, righted the shack, and continued on our way.  No damage to the shack other than the eye-bolt!  Oh boy, the locals must think I'm an idiot.
One local did comment that he was amazed that the shack survived undamaged.  Oh, boy!

Just call me the white box kite flyer.
MD  :P

Offline PondPro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH ON!!!!!!!!FISH OFF.............
« Reply #46 on: Mar 10, 2007, 08:11 PM »
wow nice shack i think I'm going to attempt to build one next year.
Tom G :tipup:<br />

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Mar 23, 2007, 07:37 PM »
sweet looking shack

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Mar 24, 2007, 08:03 PM »
Mainedog! The Great! Can the story of designing, a coroplast fishing shack, that flies like a kite, still be TRUE!!   :bow:   :bow:   Please, tell me more.     :clap:

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Mar 25, 2007, 08:12 PM »
The coroplast shack lives!  I used it one day this weekend, the last weekend of ice fishing for me this season. :'(

I pulled it by hand out onto the ice, through some snow and slush and it provided a nice shelter from the wind, and made a nice wind brake for the grill.  Even though we were just in front of the camp, it was nice to have some shelter on the ice. 

After using it several times this year, I have come to the following conclusions:
1) I wish I had made the runners deeper.  It plows in shallow snow.  Easily remedied.
2) 4x8 is the smallest square footage shack I can fish out of comfortably.  5x7, or 5x8 would be better, but then it starts to get heavier...
3) I missed not having wood heat.  Even with lots of venting, it still steams up.  It is really warm.  Many times I didn't bother with heat.  Just getting out of the wind was enough.  Mr. Buddy will drive you out, even on low.
4) I am really intrigued by the "Ontario" style huts made out of 3 pieces of plywood and a tarp, and some of their variations.
5) You need a small trailer (or a full-sized pickup without a cap) to relocate the coroplast shack to another lake.  I never did, but wanted to...something a fold up shack wouldn't require.
6) If I ever build another shack out of polystyrene foam again, I may just cover it with Ty-par or a tarp, its cheaper, and probably easier to work with.  1" thick foam is the thickest I'd consider, and might even opt for 1/2" foam.
7) The plastic has held up very well.  It is weather proof.
8) After struggling helping my friend pull his 8x10 off the lake several weeks ago, and two weeks ago, getting my other green monster stuck in slush (and tearing the hitch off my snowsled trying in the process), I have vowed never to pull the green monster on anything but glare ice, and only pull lightweight shacks, and have gained much respect for the capabilities of an ATV (even though on my snowsled, it could get to places the 4wheeler couldn't, I don't have the pulling power on my sled).
9) My wife has ordered me to dispose of at least one of my shacks if I even attempt to build another.  She is not wanting our property "out back" to look like an Ice Shanty graveyard.  Silly woman, she doesn't understand my secret goal of stashing one shack on each lake I like to fish....and she's always complaining about how the camp isn't big enough to hold all her family when they come to visit!  Little does she realize that an ice shack in the winter makes a great bunk house in the summer!

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Mar 27, 2007, 07:24 PM »
Great start, with the ultimate plan!   :)  Ultralight Shanty's!!   :clap:

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Apr 01, 2007, 08:30 PM »
I own a 6x8 green tank, a 8x4 white kite, a dx3000, a shappell rover, a dx4000 a cabelas kit that I haven't put together...I have to sell some of these....well at least that's what my wife says....

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Apr 05, 2007, 10:01 PM »
One, of many question's, Mainedog! Did the heavy coroplast, hold up to the elements? I know the cheap stuff, used on pallets didn't!     ;)

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Apr 05, 2007, 10:05 PM »
so far no complaints...
I glued it to the polystyrene, painted the roof....this stuff had UV inhibitor...
It was easy to work with (cut).

I think it would be more cost effective to just use tyvek, typar, or the blue poly tarp (change the skin every couple of years...)  Hindsight. 

I wish I had the $$$ for aluminum!

Offline teacup13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • i need to go fishin'
« Reply #54 on: Apr 08, 2007, 10:00 AM »
hey Mainedog

you said you were interested in the ontario shacks... here is the link and the pdf download

link:
http://www.fishontario.com/skills/dewalt/article.jsp?content=20060104_161011_3776&page=1

pdf download:
http://www.fishontario.com/images/skills/dewalt/Dewalt-Ice_Hut.pdf

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Apr 08, 2007, 04:38 PM »
thanks for thinking of me teacup!
MD

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Apr 09, 2007, 09:24 PM »
Wouldn't the tarp material, just rip at the stud's?   ???

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Apr 10, 2007, 08:47 AM »

If you are referring to the Ontario style hut:

I'm guessing you are concerned about the tarp along the edges of the floor board?
I would attach skis AFTER folding the tarp over the floor edge and stapling...or use
1x2s around the inside edge with the tarp BETWEEN the top of the floor board and
1x2s.  This interior edging complicates attaching the ends a bit....

And yes, I suppose eventually the tarp will wear out/tear along the edges.

If you are referring to a framed/polystyrene structure, I've seen folks put strapping
over the tarp to hold it in place...the tarp covering would need to be replaced every
couple of years I would think.

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Apr 10, 2007, 09:51 AM »
I built mine about 7-8 years ago ( with heavy modifications)...the original tarp is still on .There is a bit of wear on the rounded edges of the plywood from folding /refolding shack ....nothing that a bit of duct tape can't handle . Also a few scuff marks on the tarp from rubbing against trees/brush while towing by snowmachine to the lake .
I put a 10 inch pony wall all around the outside edge of the 4 x 8 plywood floor(for storage).The tarp comes most of the way down the walls , but doesn`t wrap underneath...therefore no wear in that area...except when folded .
All in all a pretty durable outfit .   

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Apr 10, 2007, 09:07 PM »
Thanks, Fishkeeper and Mainedog!   :thumbsup:   The info helps.   :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.