Author Topic: semi permanent shack plans needed  (Read 1074 times)

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
semi permanent shack plans needed
« on: Nov 29, 2018, 09:52 AM »
 I have been thinking , for a while of building a permy shack, but would like to be able to take sections of the shack out on the lake, stacked flat, and with a drill and nut/bolts assemble it, so when in storage, they would have numbered panels, and sit flat against the barn wall. I even considered hinging every thing together. the top, 2 sides and bottom, so they would fold like an accordian. Or for weight, top& side hinged, bottom& side hinged,and then the front back with pre drilled holes in the framework to bolt together. any body have a collapsible shack they use? This would be for spearing. I was also speaking of weight considering luan for  siding, and aluminum studs for frame, or maybe 2x3's, any thoughts

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: semi permanent shack plans needed
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2018, 10:02 AM »
I have been thinking , for a while of building a permy shack, but would like to be able to take sections of the shack out on the lake, stacked flat, and with a drill and nut/bolts assemble it, so when in storage, they would have numbered panels, and sit flat against the barn wall. I even considered hinging every thing together. the top, 2 sides and bottom, so they would fold like an accordian. Or for weight, top& side hinged, bottom& side hinged,and then the front back with pre drilled holes in the framework to bolt together. any body have a collapsible shack they use? This would be for spearing. I was also speaking of weight considering luan for  siding, and aluminum studs for frame, or maybe 2x3's, any thoughts

Not exactly a perma-shack, but might work for you. PM if you need/want details.

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2018, 11:20 AM »
actually had something like that years back, but am looking for something to leave on the ice, again, sort of permanent , thanks though

Offline jmedy1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2018, 06:13 PM »
I built a shack just like what you're talking about and fished out of it for the last two seasons.  I built the walls, roof and floor in panels that stacked flat.  The floor was two 2x6 runners with 2x3 joists and 3/8's plywood decking, I believe the dimensions were 6.5'x8'.  The walls were made from 2x3 studs and underlayment for the outside.  The roof was made from 2x3's and some plastic roofing material from home depot.  The roof was slanted so the high side was 8 feet tall and the low side was 6.6'.  Inside there were 4 bunks (one onto of the other that ran the 6.5' length on each side) which sat onto of supports built into the front and rear walls.  I insulated it with 3/8" foam boards.  It stacked flat onto of a pickup truck bed and was set up easily with just two guys.  If I were to do it again I would make it much smaller and shorter, maybe a 6x6' cube.  The underlayment: although light, did not stand up that well to the move and storage.  I think i would go with 3/8 T1-11 instead and maybe a metal roof.
I ultimately put it together permanently and tried to transport it via trailer.  It wasn't well suited for that so I sold it for a song and am currently working on the new digs.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2018, 07:43 AM »
Martian, are you still interested in a permy. A friend of mine has one that his dad used and will be putting it up for sale this week. I'll get some pics from him and post them here, or in a PM if you'd like. It's 44" wide, 6ft long, and 80in tall. Has a propane heater, propane tank. Located in Essexville, Mi.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.