Author Topic: skis on otter sled vs hyfax  (Read 2897 times)

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I once killed a gopher with a stick"
skis on otter sled vs hyfax
« on: Nov 07, 2018, 10:35 AM »
I know I should by a hyfax kit for my otter but I have several pairs of skis. i thought about mounting them directly to the bottom.
 I figure it would reduce friction and make it easier to pull. I thought about either 1x4 or 2x2 mounting blocks. Screw from inside the tub down into the skis with washers or possibly thru bolt them with counter sunk heads on the bottom of the skis. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: skis on otter sled vs hyfax
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2018, 10:42 AM »
Check out "Smitty Sled" in the Eqipment section. Lot of guys use it...like I'm going to. Picking up skis from a friend Sunday.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2018, 09:14 AM »
If you are going to mount skis, I suggest 2 pair, if you only put them on the out side edge, the center of the tub will be "hanging" unsupported.  You pile stuff in or sit in there, the floor may crack.  Same with mounting blocks, the smaller area they are, the more stress you place on a small area of the tub.  Just a thought.

Offline Beeler

« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2018, 11:28 AM »
I have used skis in the past and screws don't always hold. I use 1/4 inch carriage bolts and a block of wood to raise the shack off the snow, makes it easier to pull. I agree with Fisherman 1, mount more then 1 pair of skis, I use 3 skis and never had a problem. 

Offline frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2018, 10:19 PM »
I know I should by a hyfax kit for my otter but I have several pairs of skis. i thought about mounting them directly to the bottom.
 I figure it would reduce friction and make it easier to pull. I thought about either 1x4 or 2x2 mounting blocks. Screw from inside the tub down into the skis with washers or possibly thru bolt them with counter sunk heads on the bottom of the skis. Any thoughts are appreciated.

YES do this if mostly pulling with ATV / UTV or Snowmobile,,,,, if pulling by hand then uses the SMITTY SLED.

Blessings
Fish FEAR ME ;)

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I once killed a gopher with a stick"
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2018, 12:53 PM »
Thanks Guys. I appreciate it. I don't want the added weight of a full fledge smitty sled.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2018, 09:42 AM »
Thanks Guys. I appreciate it. I don't want the added weight of a full fledge smitty sled.

Those Otters are a bear to pull empty ..great sled strong/tough ..not certain the Hyfax would help mine in snow as much as a Smitty sled would .I have built 3 Smitty sleds and that would be my recommendation ..mounting skis directly to the Otter tub just seams wrong .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2018, 06:01 PM »
If you're pulling with a snosled or atv, I would suggest hyfax runners. Skis are wide and that otter sled won't track well, fish tailing behind you. Hyfax runners work like a runner on the skis of a snosled digging in just enough to keep it straight. If pulling by hand, the skis may be easier on you.
It must be something in the water.

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2018, 03:09 PM »
I added skis onto the bottom of a one man, see the post in my sig for details. It is only raised about 3/4" and I used some cheap rubber furniture feet so it would not absorb moisture or rot. They seem to work well. If you are doing a larger shack like a 2 or 3 man, you should look at using 3 skis to support the middle of the tub.

To attach them, I used countersunk stainless steel screws from underneath, and acorn nuts in the tub. No sharp edges to catch my stuff on, and they hold very well.

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2018, 07:43 PM »
In my experience the marginal added weight of the Smitty Sled is greatly shadowed by the increased ease of pulling.
Why not install the Hyfax runners AND build a Smity?
 If you're on flat ice don't bother with the Smitty.
If you're on snow strap the shack to the Smitty and go.
I have a 2 man Frabill and that's how I roll.

It would be interesting to do a lbs of force pull test of a shanty by itself in snow, and then the same shanty on a Smitty in snow.

Offline Skunkboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2018, 04:54 PM »
Build a Smitty sled!  Scrap lumber and an old pair of skis.  Ask around, Someone you know would probably give you a pair.  A little extra weight, but pulls like a lot less weight.  You won't regret it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.