New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Dont think i am coming back next year.............what a shame.  (Read 10010 times)

Offline applejacks

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Dont think i am coming back next year.............what a shame.
« Reply #30 on: Mar 07, 2007, 08:25 PM »
The fee idea and the reasoning behind it sound interesting.  I do, however, feel that the $50 mentioned is excessive.  There may be compromise solutions that could even serve purposes beyond discouraging those undesirable characters from participating in this program.  For instance, a mandatory $15 dollar annual purchase from the pro shop would dissuade the lurkers while at the same time contribute to the maintenance of this forum---which has to be considerable both in man hours and dollars spent.

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Mar 07, 2007, 08:53 PM »
Let me tell you about "rusty".  I own a forum myself. Rusty came on with the regular questions, then one day turned into a real sourpuss with alot of snyde remarks. I PM'd him to let him know he's been banned. I ban by both username and ip address.

About two months later, I contacted him. I saw something inside of him that stood out: His original posts. I asked him for a apology, and he replied with one. My moderators were furious.They could not believe that I would consider bringing him back.
He turned out to be one of my best forum members and took a keen interest in crayfish collection and photography. His pictures are used in a crayfish identification site, and i'm proud of him and myself for what transpired.

Bottom line : Report the bad posts.

If I was you, I would ask Scott for moderator position.  I would use my four years as a referance and not throw it away.

Retired , but still recovering ice fishing addict.

Offline Mr.Sodus

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Summer Sucks
« Reply #32 on: Mar 08, 2007, 06:50 AM »
Now THAT was a good post!
Hey Charlie, the kid's got one on over here...

Offline BuckShotJon

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Gimpy Fisher
« Reply #33 on: Mar 08, 2007, 07:18 AM »
If I have said it once I have said it at least a hundred times, it ceases to amaze me that people will complain when a lot more can be accomplished like fishing or hunting. It's also a intereting thing that as sportsman we would rather complain and stir the pot with each other instead of banding together to fight bad legislation or to further our sports. If we truely banded together a lot more could be accomplished. Our foes the anti's have figured this out and are well organized.

I don't post that much anymore, not like I once did, for a couple reasons but one reason is surely because of the bickering and complaining.

The good will still be good the people creating strife will most likely tend to continue to lean in that direction.

Jon
Check Out The Hunting Shanty

Check Out The Softer Side Of The Shanty At www.Myfishfinder.com

Offline kirkwooders

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Websters definition of a northern red neck.
« Reply #34 on: Mar 08, 2007, 07:36 AM »
Frist off, let me just say that I love this site.  There is a ton of info on here, so much so that a person would have to spend their entire time surfing this site instead of fishing.  I have found that this site makes me want to be on the ice more.  I fish 10 times as much now than I did before I found this site. I fish different bodies of water, and for species of fish than I ever would have without this site.  I have learned a lot from this site, have met some really great people, and made some good friends.

However, there seems to be a mass exodus of long time shanty members.  Members that are very knowlagable, informative and willing to share their knowledge with the masses.  This site is full of members that have a lot to say, but none of it being helpfull.  If you weed through those members you can find the good ones.  The guys that will tell you how the fishing really was, what the condition of the ice really is, and actually own a tape measure and know how to read it.  ;D

These are the people that I would like to see stay on this site, but too many are leaving for one reason or another.  Don't let the morons push you out!  just imagine what you'll be missing
"There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid!"

Offline TJC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LAKER TAKER
« Reply #35 on: Mar 08, 2007, 07:46 AM »
Buckshot Jon you hit it on the head lets fish and hunt and above all help each other. I have gotten 10 non ice fisherman to sign the petition against Grannis alone. Every outdoors person I know will sign that petition Even if they don't hunt or fish, we should rally together and stand side by side against people who would take our rights and liberties away rather than fight against each other. Lets put our differences aside and use the energy somewhere else. Tight lines everybody.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Mar 08, 2007, 08:03 AM »
you shouldn't let the few short fish spoil you're trip, b/c next time you will get the big one. same thing goes here, just b/c some dink got you going doesn't me we still cant have some fun. i agree some ribbing is necessary, but when enough is enough somebody should be notified of this. don't throw away 4 years of fun for what a handful on idiots may have said or done. hope you stick with it and we see you on here next year.

i would me more than happy to pay to enter the site. maybe pay by state or something and all money collected we could have end of year tourney and fish feast? good luck with the rest of the ice season.

steve

Offline fishyfinger

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Sitting on your icehole is catching!!
« Reply #37 on: Mar 08, 2007, 08:22 AM »
WOW :o This thread has been the has been the most intelligent gathering of passive aggressive ice fishermen I have seen yet! Notice how we don't mis-spell and use perfect sentence phrasing. I knew we were out here for the betterment of sport fishing! Stay on top of the ice and the evolution of modern man, the Neanderthals are still around, they just need more refinement.
Keep on posting Hard Water! We need you ;)
drillem & killem then grillem, OH YEAH!

Offline gumpy2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's gator time...
« Reply #38 on: Mar 08, 2007, 08:46 AM »
Anybody see Oakorchardfishking's soliloquy before it disappeared?

He basically openly left this site as well as MFF and explained his reasons. 

Why not put it back up for everbody to read and make their own decisions.  Just because he stated his opinion and it didn't necessarily jive with the mods, it got yanked  :callcops:.  No response to Oaks concerns, no explaination to fellow members as to his concerns,...just sweep it under the rug.  If that isn't cowardice then i don't know what is.  There was nothing derogatory or any profanities in it yet it has disappeared...erased from cybersapce.  I don't understand.

I challenge the mods to put it back up and stop being a bunch of skirts....

...if not put it up then at least let this post ride!

I'm not trying to stir the pot but I think fellow members should know why he and many other good contributors to this site are leaving or not posting.  It's a shame...

"Porkers??  You talkin' about porkers Mr. Hoopa?"

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #39 on: Mar 08, 2007, 08:58 AM »

i would me more than happy to pay to enter the site. maybe pay by state or something and all money collected we could have end of year tourney and fish feast? good luck with the rest of the ice season.

steve

Join the iceshanty milita. we have our own board.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=37443.0
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Mar 08, 2007, 09:00 AM »
i may just do that for next season! thanks

also the last i checked this was an ice fishing site not an english class. who cares if sentances aren't correct or the spelling is wrong, as long as the fishing tips are on and the atmosphere is good WHO CARES. just my 2cents.

steve

Offline SJohn01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Mar 08, 2007, 09:10 AM »
Anybody see Oakorchardfishking's soliloquy before it disappeared?

He basically openly left this site as well as MFF and explained his reasons. 

Why not put it back up for everbody to read and make their own decisions.  Just because he stated his opinion and it didn't necessarily jive with the mods, it got yanked  :callcops:.  No response to Oaks concerns, no explaination to fellow members as to his concerns,...just sweep it under the rug.  If that isn't cowardice then i don't know what is.  There was nothing derogatory or any profanities in it yet it has disappeared...erased from cybersapce.  I don't understand.

I challenge the mods to put it back up and stop being a bunch of skirts....

...if not put it up then at least let this post ride!

I'm not trying to stir the pot but I think fellow members should know why he and many other good contributors to this site are leaving or not posting.  It's a shame...

Yeah, but too bad it got yanked already. Pretty typical though
Remember me?

Smarter than your average Krim

Offline ladyfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Mar 08, 2007, 09:12 AM »
gumpy2...
I did happen to see a reply with quote that Oakorchard had posted.  I think that was also deleted, I couldn't find it again.  

Offline perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Mar 08, 2007, 09:12 AM »
I'll keep it short.  Great comments by all on this topic.  Been ice fishin' for years, but my rookie year using this site.  I have definately picked up some new fishing tips & conditions reports from this site.  And glad to see so many fellow NYers on here.  Anyway, Hardwater don't give up the faith!!!  Guys like you make this site worthwhile.  Perch out.

Offline Bussman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #44 on: Mar 08, 2007, 09:20 AM »
Yeah, but too bad it got yanked already. Pretty typical though

Yep! We follow a simple set of rules here. I would love to comment on this as well but as all other members would have done to them, my post would be removed. I am fine with this. If your here to spread hate then your really not welcome.

Bussman

Offline JNEMETH

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #45 on: Mar 08, 2007, 09:22 AM »
I have seen this happen with all fishing and hunting internet forums. I use to post to two flyfishing forums until they degradated into a venue for insults and hurt feelings. The forums all start out great , friendly and with lots of good information , but after a year or two they get hijacked by folks who have no manners and all the good posters seem to leave.If this keeps up all these forums will have no relevance and just fade away.

Offline Bussman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #46 on: Mar 08, 2007, 09:29 AM »
I have seen this happen with all fishing and hunting internet forums. I use to post to two flyfishing forums until they degradated into a venue for insults and hurt feelings. The forums all start out great , friendly and with lots of good information , but after a year or two they get hijacked by folks who have no manners and all the good posters seem to leave.If this keeps up all these forums will have no relevance and just fade away.

10 years and were still here.  :thumbsup: Were doing our best to keep this one different then those others you are talking about. Believe me its no easy task.

flockshot

« Reply #47 on: Mar 08, 2007, 09:45 AM »
bussman, i would agree , but i would also , as a suggestion, pray that you pay attention to some of the new members a little bit more, many of them are the reason the senior members are degrading down to being grumpy and unhappy with things.

Offline Bussman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #48 on: Mar 08, 2007, 09:54 AM »
I understand and as its been said before please use the report links and this will help us alot.

Offline deerslayer92163

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • perch,crappie,w alleye,steelhea d,northern,etc.
« Reply #49 on: Mar 08, 2007, 09:59 AM »
bussman, i would agree , but i would also , as a suggestion, pray that you pay attention to some of the new members a little bit more, many of them are the reason the senior members are degrading down to being grumpy and unhappy with things.

i totally agree as ive had a few threads hijacked and these posts had important info that turned into a circus act so that deters me from posting as much as i once did

Offline LoneWolf

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #50 on: Mar 08, 2007, 10:04 AM »
If I have said it once I have said it at least a hundred times, it ceases to amaze me that people will complain when a lot more can be accomplished like fishing or hunting. It's also a intereting thing that as sportsman we would rather complain and stir the pot with each other instead of banding together to fight bad legislation or to further our sports. If we truely banded together a lot more could be accomplished. Our foes the anti's have figured this out and are well organized.

I don't post that much anymore, not like I once did, for a couple reasons but one reason is surely because of the bickering and complaining.

The good will still be good the people creating strife will most likely tend to continue to lean in that direction.

Jon

I believe BuckShotJon said it all. 

Those who are brave are free ..

flockshot

« Reply #51 on: Mar 08, 2007, 10:07 AM »
well...ive been following this thread and i think its a super positive sign that you guys (mods) are activly involved and constructive in this thread. my hats off to you for that. im glad it hasnt turned into an instant "zap" i really do hope though that some of these problems expressed on here are noted however.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Mar 08, 2007, 10:09 AM »
well said buckshotjon!

Offline Bussman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #53 on: Mar 08, 2007, 10:18 AM »
Its much more then noted. We are actively dealing with new issues every day. It might surprise some members to know there are sites created each year just to cause problems for this site. It been going on for years now and I am sure it will not end any time soon.  ::) The thing thats funny is the members of these so called anti-iceshanty.com sites still can't stay away.  ;) As time has proved, those sites are always short lived since they have no real purpose once their members are rejected from this site. Some are banned and some realize that the general membership will not bother with them anymore. Please remember forums don't come with directions and we know we make mistakes. As long as we keep learning from our mistakes hopefully we will be around in 10 more years.  ;D We do our best and thats all we can do.

Offline oldwolf

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My first wife hated fishing!!
« Reply #54 on: Mar 08, 2007, 11:26 AM »
Guess I'm not the only one that's noticed something different. Seems like a lot of different posts on the same subject, inane posts,  and BS banter, back and forth, that doesn't contribute anything useful. Not going to leave the site, but I will be more selective in what I read. Will continue to post when I can say something useful. Am not interested in the number of posts I can log.

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #55 on: Mar 08, 2007, 12:53 PM »
GEE I WONDER WHERE ALL THE GUYS FROM NY WENT???? I remember about 12 guys who where very knowledgable and they did input in a positive way.
Everthink why???
Some boars are just controlled by ignorant people with social problems.
I have seen a downward spiral. I still like the site but it needs to clean some house!!
Also review some of its policies.
Hope this post stays up W/o a move or delete or modification!
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Mar 08, 2007, 12:57 PM »
Another worthless thread !!!!

ErieDeerie

« Reply #57 on: Mar 08, 2007, 01:09 PM »
Agreed - If you come back next year, great, if not, who cares???????

Offline mcarolan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Mar 08, 2007, 01:15 PM »
If the old and bold disappear who is to pass on the knowlegde to us the new generation?
We need diversity both good and bad in order for this site to remain, it all depends on whether you can ignore the bad.

flockshot

« Reply #59 on: Mar 08, 2007, 01:18 PM »
Agreed - If you come back next year, great, if not, who cares???????
perfect example of one of the beefs talked about in the original post..members with few posts being both ignorant and rude.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.