Author Topic: personal tracked vehicle (opinions needed)  (Read 3071 times)

Offline 4426

• Team IceShanty Regular
personal tracked vehicle (opinions needed)
« on: Feb 20, 2015, 09:58 PM »
Hello, I have been looking around on the web and came across something called a personal tracked vehicle. There are plans avaible to buy for it and there are some youtube videos of other ones. I believe this could have potential to be a great ice fishing vehicle. They run a pretty basic pulley drive system. I believe some mods would have to be made to existing plans avaible and snowmobile tracks would work good. Let me know what ya think, I'm considering learning how to weld and having one of my buddies who does know how to try to help me make one of these this summer.(note i prefer the design of the youtube one over the ebay one) Also how much do you think it would cost in steel to make the frame? Do you think this machine could be more cost effective than an atv or snowmobile?

Plans:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Personal-Tracked-Vehicle-Go-Kart-Build-Plans-/200702870490

Videos:

Offline 4426

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: personal tracked vehicle (opinions needed)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2015, 07:39 AM »
update:i guess the youtube one was abandoned because the belts slipped too much when they got wet, and the ebay plans work off the same drive so that wouldn't work. Anybody got any ideas for an alternate drive system that will allow turning? 2 motors has potential but you would have trouble with them running at the same speed when going in a strait line. An open diff with brakes on the axle has worked for some but if you get into some trouble then you only have power to one track. Any other ideas? Think a simple cover over the belts would prevent them from becoming wet or is there any way to prevent them from slipping once wet? I guess it would kind of work like the belt tensioners on a snow blower also and I believe they just have them well protected to prevent them from slipping.

Offline 4426

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2015, 09:56 PM »
No Redneck engineers out there????

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2015, 07:56 AM »
Really your only choices for home brew are a braked differential, hydraulic or harvest the power train from a zero turn mower.

Offline JeJa

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Retired and loving it
« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2015, 09:59 AM »
you could modify an old snow blower and use the back end. Sit on box and sterr/drive with handle bars of the snow blower. There is avideo/pic. Can't remember where i saw it though
John
Somedays its not worthwhile chewing thru the restraints

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.