Author Topic: new atv, want to rig it right  (Read 1879 times)

Offline 4426

• Team IceShanty Regular
new atv, want to rig it right
« on: Dec 26, 2014, 03:40 PM »
Hello, I just traded my dirtbike for a 2002 Kawasaki Lakota sport which currently needs a lil work but its all easy stuff. The question I want to ask is whether I should buy front and rear racks and put my equipment on there, or should i buy a trailer hitch for it and just tow a heavy duty smitty sled behind me?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: new atv, want to rig it right
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2014, 03:43 PM »
What type of equipment are you planning on bringing ? What size Shelter ,Auger etc.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline slymer83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2014, 03:55 PM »
racks are always handy and the smitty sled is a great addition , I run chains on my 2014 Rancher ,rigid tow bar is nice , I put a windshield on mine , I put my auger in my gun racks on the front rack, also have a soft bag on front, have fun setting it up the more you fish with the wheeler the more you will figure out what works for you

Offline 4426

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2014, 04:16 PM »
I plan on bringing a hub shelter, hand auger, some tip ups/downs, jig poles, tackle box and a buddy heater. I already ordered chains for the rear tires cuz it is only 2wd. I think if I can work it in the budget I'll try to do both but we'll see. I'm trying to keep all of my mods removable so that I still can have some fun on it in the summer. I know that a rigid tow bar is required in NY. I know that this will mainly be used on lake erie because that is the only lake around me where it is a pain to walk to fishing grounds, but maybe i'll let my grandpa use it on smaller lakes so he can get out again(he hasn't been out in over 20yrs). Keep posting suggestions, I didn't even think about gun racks for the auger. Also any hints or tricks that have made your life with a wheeler easier are also very helpful because this is my first wheeler.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 4426

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2014, 05:42 PM »
Thanks hardwaterdiehard but I guess I forgot to say that this quad wasn't equipped with racks or trailer hitch from factory, but the older model of it did so I will be able to rig it up somehow. In my budget I can only get a trailer hitch and either  of the racks. Which do u think is more important, front or rear rack? I will definitely get the trailer hitch.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2014, 10:48 PM »
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/2-pc-guide-gear-atv-front-rear-basket-set?a=580319

not sure if this will help but just an idea

suggest a front rack ..mount your auger on it ..and tow all your other gear

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.