Author Topic: Decided On A Sled......Which One?  (Read 1521 times)

Offline alumabass

• IceShanty Rookie
Decided On A Sled......Which One?
« on: Mar 02, 2013, 09:52 AM »
I have finally decided on a sled over a ATV.  I thought I was set on a ATV because I could use it year round, but then I realized that 1 we live in town and 2 the summers are busy with camping and fishing in the boat.

I am thinking a 2 up or touring sled fan cooled with reverse, Ski Doo or Polaris, or are there non touring sled with reverse?  Electric start may be nice too!

Any input on my idea or which sled would be the best as far as brand, durable engine, accessories?

We are getting to the time of year when the deals will start getting better.

My grand plan is to get a trailer that I can get both the sled and the Otter Cabin on, but I really don't want a sled trailer because of the height, so I am thinking of a trailer with a drop ramp, this is also a better choice in case I need to haul the motorcycle anywhere, and the reverse on the sled will allow loading or unloading.

Do you think I am on the right track?  I would like any type of constructive criticism that I can get, I would like to get this right the first time if I can!

What length and width of trailer do you think I would need with my idea? 

Thanks
Arlo

Offline LAKEBOUND

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Decided On A Sled......Which One?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2013, 10:26 AM »
For sure you are on the right track, you have wieghed your options effectively! We are running older sleds, but not much better for ice fishing let me tell you! First is the Yamaha 1987 Enticer Trapper, pull start with reverse. 340 motor, nice on gas and has never let me down. Has long track and a carrier on the back. The second is a 1992 Ski Doo Skandic 377r, also with reverse. Polaris makes a good sled, but tend to be heavier than most. The small motors always work well, but will not compare to the touring sled power! You will get a lot more bells and whistles on the tourers that are very nice, especially those "couch" like seats! Very comfortable after sitting in a hut all day. Look at the Grand Touring Ski Doo, and the Yamaha Venture Tour deluxe! Find a deal and you'll be happy with your choice! Also, we have both a sled trailer and an enclosed. Buy and enclosed trailer!!!!!!! Nothing like being out on the ice all day, the snow rolls in for the ride home and covers your machines with salt and slush! Now you have to un-pack ice gear, clean fish and power wash machines when your most tired! Drop the ramp, ride it in and close the ramp door! Done and done, nice and easy! Hope the advice of a cold Canadian boy helps you out!!!
Tom

Offline osiris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2013, 10:36 AM »
what ever sled u find that will suit your needs take a few minutes and do some reading about it online to see what the majority of the issues are with that model and for a trailer I would get one bigger then what u need enclosed is way nice expecially if u can find one with a drive off front plus it wont have to sit outside in the weather and the gear wont get so beat up from the wind and slush while driving

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2013, 12:36 PM »
Sounds like you have a great plan coming together. I kinda went down a similar track...

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2013, 05:31 AM »
I have been on the hunt for a Ski Doo Skandic for awhile now. I want the 550 f with the 24" track. The problem is that most hold onto them, and brand new are out of my budget.

WS

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2013, 09:03 AM »
Just about all new sleds come with reverse now and if electric start isn't stock it can be added after. I work at a sled rental shop and we run Artic cat and Polaris. Most our 2 ups are 4-stroke Artic cat TZ1's. They are pretty nice as far as touring sleds go. You can take off the back seat in about 15 seconds which creates a lot of storage area behind the driver,... a alot like Bart's F570. They also produce a T570 which is a 2-stroke fan cooled 2-up with or without heated seats and hand grips for driver and passenger. Those Skidoos are some great sleds too just can't speak any real specifics on them other than great motors and their 4-stroke is crazy quiet! good luck in your hunt.

Offline icefishingluva

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2013, 05:08 PM »
If you don't want to spend the money for an enclosed trailer, it sounds like you might have a 5x8 utility trailer?  My buddy had one and built plywood sides and then covered that with tin to make a decoy trailer for goose hunting.  He bolted down cross braces so he could take it off if needed.  Pretty simple fix instead of buyin a costly enclosed trailer if you don't want to go down that road.  Have really debated about doing this to my own trailer....just thought I'd give you another idea to think about!  ;D
Let's fish it.

Offline drunknfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2013, 11:36 PM »
I would look for a newer Ski-Doo Tundra 550F or the Yamaha Venture Lite's are real nice also.

For a trailer your going to have to go at least 7' wide if you want the Otter and sled beside each other, because you don't want a high trailer like a snowmobile one, I would go with a simple carry on trailer with a shield up front. But if you can afford it go with an enclosed trailer, #1 way to go with almost anything.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2013, 03:46 AM »
I have an enclosed trailer for my ATV and fishing equipment. The only way to go in my opinion.

WS

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2013, 07:42 AM »
I have an enclosed trailer for my ATV and fishing equipment. The only way to go in my opinion.
 WS

Agree 100%,  keeps the road salt and slush mist off everything when you're traveling.  And, it keeps prying eyes and sticky fingers away from your equipment.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.