The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Jiffy Issue  (Read 1133 times)

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
Jiffy Issue
« on: Jan 22, 2011, 08:08 PM »
I have a 7 year old Jiffy Legend with a 3 HP Tec engine on it.  I had been having problems with it starting hard and breaking pullcords, and I noticed that the gasket on the bottom of the carb was split, so I went to a small engine dealer and got a carb kit and replaced all the parts that came in the kit.  After some minor tuning and a plug replacement, We got it running at idle and at high speed...it was purring like a kitten.  And then the next problem has started.  It seems like while in the middle of drilling a hole, the gas shuts off....mind you if I pump the primer bulb a couple times, it will start right back up on the first pull.....Anyone with any input/ideas ( other than getting a Strikemaster/Nils/ or and Icegator ) would be greatly appreciated .

Offline Mr_Jigster

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Jiffy Issue
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2011, 08:59 AM »
Gas cap vent?

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2011, 10:49 AM »
IIt seems like while in the middle of drilling a hole, the gas shuts off....mind you if I pump the primer bulb a couple times, it will start right back up on the first pull...

Does the air temperature (warmer/colder) make any difference with your fuel starvation issue?

My 22-year old Jiffy 30 does the same thing, but only when the motor is not sufficiently warmed-up. The Tecumseh is quite sensitive to carb settings ... it likes a lot of fuel when it's cold. I have the carb set for 'my' typical ice-fishing air temperature and don't like to change it every time I go out. In colder conditions it just takes a while longer to warm-up. I can still drill several holes in 2 feet of ice (or less) before the motor runs smoothly without the need for additional priming.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2011, 01:34 PM »
Does the air temperature (warmer/colder) make any difference with your fuel starvation issue?

My 22-year old Jiffy 30 does the same thing, but only when the motor is not sufficiently warmed-up. The Tecumseh is quite sensitive to carb settings ... it likes a lot of fuel when it's cold. I have the carb set for 'my' typical ice-fishing air temperature and don't like to change it every time I go out. In colder conditions it just takes a while longer to warm-up. I can still drill several holes in 2 feet of ice (or less) before the motor runs smoothly without the need for additional priming.

When we set the carb up, we left the auger outside to get acclamated to the outside temp....was 12 degrees out that day

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2011, 02:53 PM »
When we set the carb up, we left the auger outside to get acclamated to the outside temp....was 12 degrees out that day

The issue you're experiencing could also result from any type of restriction in fuel flow, such as poor/plugged tank vent or even water-ice in the carb or fuel lines. Have you ever tried iso-propyl in your fuel? It can help but you have to be careful not to use too much.

Just throwing out some ideas. Such problems really are frustrating! Hope this helps.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2011, 03:33 PM »
The issue you're experiencing could also result from any type of restriction in fuel flow, such as poor/plugged tank vent or even water-ice in the carb or fuel lines. Have you ever tried iso-propyl in your fuel? It can help but you have to be careful not to use too much.

Just throwing out some ideas. Such problems really are frustrating! Hope this helps.

I do use marine stabil for ethanol mixed in with the fuel/oil mix, but I have not tried dry gas....I may have to mix a fresh batch of fuel for it and try it...

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2011, 09:40 PM »
Gas cap vent?

The cap may be plugged, or the gasket dry rotted.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.