The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: camera or flasher  (Read 1170 times)

Offline gtnjiggy

• IceShanty Rookie
camera or flasher
« on: Jan 09, 2017, 09:37 PM »
i had a marcum showdown 2.0 but the wind knocked it into the hole and now its done for. my question is should i get another flasher of some sorts or get a camera.  would love some feedback thanks

Offline avidoutdoor24

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: camera or flasher
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2017, 09:54 PM »
Flasher for sure buddy!

Offline jignhobo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2017, 10:03 PM »
No doubt  flasher for sure .

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2017, 10:07 PM »
Forget the camera..........Get another flasher !!

Offline gtnjiggy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2017, 10:45 PM »
the flasher i was looking at was the vexilar  fl-8se genz pac or the marcum vx-1 any info??

Offline onpoint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2017, 10:54 PM »
Take a serious look at the FL-18 instead of the 8. You won't regret it.

Offline mtoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish for anything
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2017, 11:04 PM »
A flasher is more versatile and works any were
Like on-point stated go for FL-18 if you go Vexilar, the price is higher(mabye used) but the bottom lock function work wonders
Any flasher is better than none

Formerly youngoutdoorsmans but wouldn't you know, I got older

Offline gtnjiggy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2017, 11:41 PM »
a buddy of mine told me get the 18 also ,think ill save up and get the 18. thanks

oldschoolben

« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2017, 07:39 AM »
I just got the helix ice 7 going to try it this weekend ,

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2017, 10:25 AM »
If you want a toy then get a camera, if you want to catch more fish, then get a flasher. As was discussed in another post, a flasher is not a winter only item either. You can buy the parts and pieces to mount it to a boat, etc for year round usage. 

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2017, 03:05 PM »
For some reason this topic is like the make of car argument. Everyone has their own opinion. I have a MarCum LX9. I use the camera exclusively in shallow water and would never use anything else. I can see those fish's reactions to my presentation, and that's invaluable. A little blinky light doesn't show me that. I use the sonar in deeper water when I can't see with the camera. And when possible I use both together. I realize the LX9 is expensive, and most people aren't going to spend that kind of coin for icefishing, but in my opinion a camera definitely has it's advantages at times over a sonar, and vice-versa under different conditions.

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2017, 04:42 PM »
Everyone does have their own opinion and that is what I actually like about Ice Shanty. It seems like a whole bunch of really good people expressing their opinions.

Full disclosure, In addition to my Vexilar Flasher, I also own the Vexilar fp100 camera that thru its own remote hotspot sends an image to you smart phone. It has not helped me bring a fish thru the hole yet. My flasher assisted me in bringing in excess of 35+ nice perch thru the hole in just over a hour of fishing last Saturday morning.

Just saying   

Offline mtoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish for anything
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2017, 06:32 PM »
^ Same here I have an Aqua-Vu but my flasher gets 90% of the use
The flasher is quick, versatile, and plane works
A camera is extremely fun and a great tool which can really improve fish success but
My biggest limitation with a camera is the setup/take down time, I know it is quick but a flasher is quicker

Offline IceFishinTy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2017, 06:43 PM »
Add one more for the flasher. I got a Marcum camera for one of my sons and he did use it to catch fish 2 weeks ago and he really liked it, but when I go, I don't want the weight of the camera so I leave it home... I can see some uses for it in clear water, it really entertains the kids and can keep them interested, but so many lakes are not clear which makes it tough to use the camera. Both is nice if you aren't pulling the sled! ;)

Offline gtnjiggy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2017, 11:46 PM »
some great points... on a typical western mt lake, how deep can u typically see, and still see your jigs

Offline fish1138

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2017, 09:03 AM »
Flasher for sure. Cameras seem to me slightly useful but its mostly just neat to see whats down there.

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2017, 09:24 AM »
Gtnjiggy,

That really depends on the clarity of the body of water. My camera comes with 50' of cable. I think others might come with more cable. Mine is a color picture until you reach a depth that it is necessary to become black and white. Mine also has a set of lights on it that you can turn on and off, so it illuminates things very well. I haven't messed with mine all that much yet because I have only had it for a month or so, but it is fun. Would be even more fun if you were fishing in something like a decked out ice castle(if you haven't seen them, check them out on the internet, rather spendy, but they are nice) with a flat screen tv and using tip ups to watch a northern come in and bite or something like that. Just my input. It is possible that I may end up going camera only, but at this point in time, I don't see that happening. Might be fun to take that camera out trout fishing this spring and or summer and see what it down in the water. 

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2017, 11:04 AM »
GF - what camera did you get?

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2017, 11:13 AM »
I have the vexilar fp100. Creates its own cell phone hotspot that allows the picture to be viewed on your smart phone. You turn the lights on and off etc on the smart phone screen, I pad, etc. Others can watch the show as well on their cell phones simply by downloading the free app and signing into the signal. You can also be stingy and not give others the password and then they are blind. LOL!!!! Like I have said, it is a fun thing to mess with, but hasn't brought a fish thru the hole yet. Make sure you have your viewing device in some sort of waterproof holder. Don't want to hear that the phone is in the bottom of the lake.

Tight lines.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2017, 11:27 AM »
cool, thanks for the reply! looking at some of the micro cams just because they are small and you can wear them on your chest like a pair of binos...

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2017, 10:31 AM »
Flasher hands down, had an aqua view, was nice to see the fish in clear water, the flasher works in all conditions.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline mtcommonwalleyeguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2017, 11:50 AM »
Flasher, no doubt. However, an aqua view is pretty fun when you're fishing pike!

Offline Mtwolfer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:09 PM »
I fish Peck alot, its never clear  where I fish, I'm guessing a camera wont work in grey or green water? its always dark under ice do those camera have a light?

Offline mtoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish for anything
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2017, 08:21 PM »
Most do have lights whether it is a flood light or IR
It is suppose to help at night, it helps but if water is murky you won't see far
I've also seen at night it looks like a snowglobe because of the microbial stuff attracted to the light 

Offline Brewerjp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2017, 12:23 PM »
I bought the camera first because everyone that I fish with has a flasher/Finder so figured I would throw something new in the mix and I love it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.