Author Topic: Quick Strikes? Does level bait make a difference?  (Read 4206 times)

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
Quick Strikes? Does level bait make a difference?
« on: Feb 07, 2007, 08:47 AM »
Hey guys,
               I've searched the site and found some info, but was wondering if you guys who fish a lot for pike have found that when using the in-line hook quick strikes that it matters if the bait is horizontal or not?  When I put mine out the other day I put the treble on the end through the lips and the treble in the middle through the back.  Each time I went around to check my bait, the shiner "appeared" to be somewhat downward with this type of rig.  Does it matter that the shiner is somewhat downward in the water column?(Your thoughts?) Now I've read posts showing showing a quick strike where you have 1 treble each hanging down off a central crimp point where you put one hook behind the head and one in the tail area just to keep the bait level.  Which in your opinion is better?  All my rigs are set up with the "in-line" method and am wondering if I should have them rigged so the bait is presented more horizontally.  Thanks for helping me out guys!
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Quick Strikes? Does level bait make a difference?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2007, 11:01 AM »
For pike I usually fish dead bait and have found that it did not matter how the bait hangs. I hook just behind the head and the dorsal fin. Use homemade quick strike rigs with 18# wire and size 8 or 10 treble hooks.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2007, 11:04 AM »
Hey guys,
               I've searched the site and found some info, but was wondering if you guys who fish a lot for pike have found that when using the in-line hook quick strikes that it matters if the bait is horizontal or not?  When I put mine out the other day I put the treble on the end through the lips and the treble in the middle through the back.  Each time I went around to check my bait, the shiner "appeared" to be somewhat downward with this type of rig.  Does it matter that the shiner is somewhat downward in the water column?(Your thoughts?) Now I've read posts showing showing a quick strike where you have 1 treble each hanging down off a central crimp point where you put one hook behind the head and one in the tail area just to keep the bait level.  Which in your opinion is better?  All my rigs are set up with the "in-line" method and am wondering if I should have them rigged so the bait is presented more horizontally.  Thanks for helping me out guys!
Did you catch Pike the way you fished? Did everyone else catch them but you? If it worked, stick with it. If not, hang it level.
Level is my preference, but experimenting can produce surprising results. And what works on one lake, may not work on another.

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2007, 05:20 PM »
RL,
     thanks for your reply.  Thats part of my reasoning for posting.  I didn't catch anything that day  ??? and noticed my bait hanging kind of downwards when I checked them throughout the day..thus my question.   Doesn't mean it won't work and your right....experimenting is a good idea.  With no action however, it got me thinking that maybe it did matter as to how the bait is sitting in the water.  I'd just like a few people to let me know how they like to fish and see what seems to work.
If anyone has pictures of their rigs that would help.  I have seen a couple in prior posts that do look interesting to try. Thanks again.
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline deadbait dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((((((((((((((((((((o>
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2007, 06:34 PM »
absolutely hang-em level it works better! if you fish deadbait long enough you know what works!    d b d.    :tipup:
trout make big pike fat and happy!

pcsminer

« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2007, 10:15 PM »
If your bait is hanging down nose first raise it up. for example in 6' of water have it maybe 3' down any ways keep it higher then 1'

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2007, 02:14 PM »
Thats the nice thing about rigging with Norwegian(Pike Hooks) the bait is always level and the Pike has excellent access to it..

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2007, 02:17 PM »
i dont think it does i think when they arnt level it makes them look like they are struggling which can cause more fish to strike

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2007, 07:26 AM »
RL,
     thanks for your reply.  Thats part of my reasoning for posting.  I didn't catch anything that day  ??? and noticed my bait hanging kind of downwards when I checked them throughout the day..thus my question.   Doesn't mean it won't work and your right....experimenting is a good idea.  With no action however, it got me thinking that maybe it did matter as to how the bait is sitting in the water.  I'd just like a few people to let me know how they like to fish and see what seems to work.
If anyone has pictures of their rigs that would help.  I have seen a couple in prior posts that do look interesting to try. Thanks again.
Whitetail111,
I'm sure you will be nailing them by the weekend with all this input. I experimented this year with placing my Stinger Hooks in the head area as opposed to the tail. Three times out and I have been the only one to land Pike each time. There is a real light bite happening this year, and this experiment is paying dividends big time!

Offline lethalconnection

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hawg Hunter!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2007, 01:41 PM »
Well i know ive just started using them this year and they have brought me nothing but awesome fish and no missed hook sets either, i hook the bait in the head then jsut behind the dorsil fin and i find that the bait will set perfectly level and now i think thats all im gonna use, i caught both those big fish in my recent post on quickstrikes.
Fishing is the sport of drowning worms!

Offline deadbait dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((((((((((((((((((((o>
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2007, 06:37 PM »
the only way to catch the big girls consistantly!    d. b. d.      :tipup:
trout make big pike fat and happy!

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2007, 05:37 PM »
I, also use the in-line quick strike rig, first hook in the head and the second in the back, so that it is some what level. I, doesn't bother me if the head is up or down a bit, just close to help the PIKE attack it.  ???  In my area, we sometimes have shad die offs. Some float up, to the bottom of the ice, some will sink down, to the bottom, and in between their suspended in any possible position one can think of! Their all PIKE FOOD!   ;)2

pcsminer

« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2007, 09:42 PM »
This is how i hook mine

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2007, 11:14 PM »
the only way to catch the big girls consistantly!    d. b. d.      :tipup:

dbd, saw some of your posts in other areas.  You seem like you are pretty knowledgable with the pike.  I live in Mass.  PM me if you get the chance.  Never caught any truely "big" pike.  Any help would be appreciated.  The seasons coming to an end soon.  Good luck the rest of your season!

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 07, 2007, 09:59 AM »
I don't think is matters.  When a fish dies or is dieing, it is not going to float perfectly level.  Below is the proof.  19 pounds on a quickstrike. My dad and I out fished the other 6 guys we were with about 4 to 1 on the pike using dead baits.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #15 on: Mar 07, 2007, 03:06 PM »
I don't think is matters.  When a fish dies or is dieing, it is not going to float perfectly level.  Below is the proof.  19 pounds on a quickstrike. My dad and I out fished the other 6 guys we were with about 4 to 1 on the pike using dead baits.

Walltrout,  Where were you and your dad fishing?  Fort Peck?

Good Fishing :tipup:

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 07, 2007, 03:36 PM »
Walltrout,  Where were you and your dad fishing?  Fort Peck?

Good Fishing :tipup:

Yep.  The begining of Feb. this year.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 07, 2007, 09:46 PM »
Nice fish Walltrout....beauty.  Thanks for your post.  Keep the pictures coming.  Love seeing biiiig  :flex:Pike!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.