Author Topic: Still fishing for a few more days!  (Read 2439 times)

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
Still fishing for a few more days!
« on: May 02, 2020, 12:56 AM »
A few more days before it will be shut down until December.  One of the advantages of living North of the 60th Parallel.

Burbot have been hitting hard 24 hr a day, regardless if brilliant high noon sunshine or the darkest of night.  Pike and Lake Trout also quite busy during the daylight hours, which are now from around 5:00 am until 10:00 pm.

I've hung my auger up, and will be heading to the range tomorrow to check the sighting on a couple of rifles.  It's bear season! Bacon, burger, chops, hams, and sausage coming up.

God bless you all,
Ted

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Still fishing for a few more days!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 07:11 AM »
You always hate to see the ice go, but with that other opportunities become available.  Our ice started pulling away from the shore this week, with the above freezing temps we are now getting, it won't last long.  Are you hunting black bear? I have not seen any yet this spring, but am sure they are out by now, don't usually shoot any unless they wander into the yard.

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 09:50 AM »
I bookended my season with trips to Hidden for stocked rainbows - November 11th and May 1st.   ;D

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 02:27 PM »
Smart man!  I am heading to Carmacks the next few days to try for grayling and inconnu.

Always a few black bear around, too.

Ted

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 02:40 PM »
You always hate to see the ice go, but with that other opportunities become available.  Our ice started pulling away from the shore this week, with the above freezing temps we are now getting, it won't last long.  Are you hunting black bear? I have not seen any yet this spring, but am sure they are out by now, don't usually shoot any unless they wander into the yard.

We have black and grizzly bears, both are mainly berry and root eaters.  Both are good to eat if they are not too big. They all taste the same, but the big brutes can be a bit tough.  Still make good stews and sausage though.

This time of year, when they first come out of the dens, they are very fat.  We render that, and it makes the most wonderful lard for shortening that you can use.  It is a very mild flavour and so rich that you use only half of what a recipe calls for.

Here's a few recipes from folks up here, published by the Wildlife Branch:  https://docplayer.net/22362055-Yukon-bear-bacon-boot-grease-recipes-isbn-1-55362-400-9-18.html

Give it a try next time you get one.  They really are good eating if you take care of them properly as you would any other game: gut and cool down asap, keep it cool, and especially keep it clean.

Ted

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 12:05 AM »
Three friends went out Friday night and the burbot were still whacking almost anything that went down the hole, including a big six inch silver lake trout spoon.  One of them using a dropper rig outfished everyone else four to one.  I sent him a few pictures of how they are rigged, and he just started using it this year.

Rained today, +14C, so won't be long now. 

Ted

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.