Author Topic: Best combo for the money?  (Read 4435 times)

Offline IAcrappiehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
Best combo for the money?
« on: Jan 27, 2014, 10:46 AM »
Hey guys I am in the market for a couple quality rod and reel combos that won't break the bank. Mainly for when I have multiple people going with me. Anyone have any reccomendations? Don't wanna spend more then $40

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
Re: Best combo for the money?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2014, 10:52 AM »
Don't buy a combo the reels are usually junk buy a cheap rod that has action to suit your needs and put a quality reel on it.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline IAcrappiehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2014, 11:08 AM »
Well then if that's the case any recommendations for rods only? I want quality but don't don't wanna break the bank. Also I am targeting crappie and gills

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2014, 11:24 AM »
quality wise I would say the jason mitchell line up and the 13 fishing line up are great rods.  The 13 fishing wicked combo is actually one of the best combos I have over used, the reel is good, the rod is really good and it will run you about 40-50 bucks.

Offline IAcrappiehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2014, 11:30 AM »
I was looking hard at the wicked combos. I was just waiting for someone to recommend them. So I guess I will continue looking and reading about them.

Offline jvfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2014, 11:33 AM »
I bought one this year and have been loving it...  Pretty much the only rod I've been using for jigging.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2014, 12:16 PM »
quality wise I would say the jason mitchell line up and the 13 fishing line up are great rods.  The 13 fishing wicked combo is actually one of the best combos I have over used, the reel is good, the rod is really good and it will run you about 40-50 bucks.

I have used the rod my brother in-law has and it is nice. I haven't used the reel that comes in the combo.
The wicked combo is on sale now at fishusa for 42.46 free shipping.

http://www.fishusa.com/Ice-Fishing-Combos/
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline Johnsonarcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2014, 11:07 AM »
I bought one of these at the beginning of the season this year and it has become my favorite.  I have not had any problems with it and my 8 y/o has been using it as well.  I would love to go buy 2-3 more when I can.  This link is actually for the longer one.  The one I bought was a 24" and was $29.99.  It had the same reel though.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/frabill-straight-line-101-quick-tip-combo/0000000084406

Offline tuiflies

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2014, 10:00 PM »
I really like my new Abu Garcia combo.  The all metal reel is great and the med light rod is pretty nice too.  I usually like med rods but I wanted a med light rod for my dead stick.  I'll never buy another reel that's not all metal.

Offline ToothTamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2014, 10:44 AM »
I bought one of these at the beginning of the season this year and it has become my favorite.  I have not had any problems with it and my 8 y/o has been using it as well.  I would love to go buy 2-3 more when I can.  This link is actually for the longer one.  The one I bought was a 24" and was $29.99.  It had the same reel though.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/frabill-straight-line-101-quick-tip-combo/0000000084406

X2 on the straight lines first day I used mine I went home and ordered 2 more.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:54 PM »
Hey guys I am in the market for a couple quality rod and reel combos that won't break the bank. Mainly for when I have multiple people going with me. Anyone have any reccomendations? Don't wanna spend more then $40

I picked up an eagle claw inline reel with pole for 35 dollars.

I had bought the other inline reel alone for 25 and I liked it so I went back and saw the combo. Rod has good action. Reel is pretty much the same one as I got already.

Normally I shy away from combos but I will support this one.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2014, 03:14 PM »
Get the fish 13 wicked rod I think it's the best bang for your buck.

Offline FraBilKil

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't call me Zorro when I'm ice fishing!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2014, 03:54 PM »
For walleye I have a 26" Jason Mitchell Medium Combo my son uses. I also have the 28" Meatstick Combo we use as a dead stick for 'eyes & crappie. I also have 2 Jason Mitchell rods (24"+26") with my own reels. JM rods and reels seem of good quality in my son's and my opinions. Sorry for the poor pic quality.

Practice Selective Harvest - Catch & Release to sustain our fisheries. 🔃

Offline BROOKIEGILLY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2014, 07:14 PM »
13 fishing and northland are my two favorites for jigging and dead stick many option to fit any budget

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2014, 11:00 PM »
I really like my new Abu Garcia combo.  The all metal reel is great and the med light rod is pretty nice too.  I usually like med rods but I wanted a med light rod for my dead stick.  I'll never buy another reel that's not all metal.

I agree nice combo and quality reel

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2014, 01:17 PM »
I've been using a Frabill 27" QT "Bro" combo that I bought last spring on sale. I think I gave about $30 for the combo. It has what appears to be a Pflueger reel on it. Very nice reel and probably the best perch rod I've ever used. I've got a JMitchell meat stick and this Frabill is a better rod IMO.

Offline Dakota Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fisherman walk on water
« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2014, 02:10 PM »

another vote for 13 fishing

Offline vermonstaa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2014, 12:58 AM »
Picked up a Pier master @ Walmart  made by Zebco solid fg nice reel  about $17
Other Jig rod from HT comes with 3 tips of diffrent flexes/thickness , not sure $ got for Christmas from son works well
Gun Control; "The belief that government, with its great wisdom and moral superiority, can be trusted with a monopoly on deadly force".

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 26, 2014, 01:31 AM »
Don't buy a combo the reels are usually junk buy a cheap rod that has action to suit your needs and put a quality reel on it.

I'm not sure about other rod/reel combo's, but the two Jason Mitchell Meatstick comb rods ($54) I use have killer reels on them. This Lake Trout made at lest 6 power runs and the drag performed flawlessly. And there were quite a few lakers taken that day too, and the reels all worked hard. I'll be picking up a couple more of these combo's for next season.

- wyoutdoors  :tipup:

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Feb 26, 2014, 04:38 AM »
You can't find a better time to run into a good closeout sale. This time of yer your money goes a lot further!

WS

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Feb 26, 2014, 05:15 AM »
Been using the Frabill line...  Quick tip , Dead stick  and Pan fish popper combos this season ...love them ... easy on the pocket ...my local Walmart had some Frabill combos half off ($ 15.00) bout a week ago .... also got a Jason Mitchell meat stick ....havent had a chance to use it yet but seems to have great action and back bone .....this year I was determined to up grade my rods as I didnt like the selection I had ...way to stiff . The minor investment increased my catch and made my fishing much more pleasurable .Bought most of my rods over the summer ....got some nice deals that way. Good Luck with your search .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 26, 2014, 09:49 AM »
Been using the Frabill line...  Quick tip , Dead stick  and Pan fish popper combos this season ...love them ... easy on the pocket ...my local Walmart had some Frabill combos half off ($ 15.00) bout a week ago .... also got a Jason Mitchell meat stick ....havent had a chance to use it yet but seems to have great action and back bone .....this year I was determined to up grade my rods as I didnt like the selection I had ...way to stiff . The minor investment increased my catch and made my fishing much more pleasurable .Bought most of my rods over the summer ....got some nice deals that way. Good Luck with your search .

Hardwater Diehard, I've had a number of combo's purchased or given to me as gifts over the years, and I've never really been happy with them. The Jason Mitchell Meatstick combo, mine is medium action was recommended to me by a good ice friend, and is everything that he said.

The only thing I plan on doing is upgrading the reel to something with a higher line capacity. I had a few lakers take quite a bit of line (I use #8 lb test) on a few of their first runs. The drag was silky smooth on the reel provided and handled everything it took. But one fish I thought may spool me and I didn't want to tighten the drag up any further I (I also use a light cross-lock snap).

I don't believe you'll be disappointed in the JM combo.

- wyoutdoors  :tipup:

Offline BowHunter1527

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 01, 2014, 03:12 PM »
We used the wickeds earlier this year with the guide we used on DL. I must say they were pretty nice and I almost got one. I decided to go with the Scheels rod and reel combo because it was 19 on sale and they have a great warranty, life time on anything if I'm not mistaken. 
"Did you  clip your barbs,  you remember to clip your barbs."

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 01, 2014, 10:00 PM »
Nothing I would call decent can be had for $40. You get closer with $50. A Shimano Sienna 500 ($30) for rods the Frabil Bro series rods are decent. Yad isn't making rods anymore or I would say them.

Offline PRICE COUNTY STRIKE ZONE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 02, 2014, 10:26 PM »
A couple weeks ago i bought a couple new combos at Fleet for a fishing trip. I bought a Berkley Cherrywood medium action that i wouldnt recommend. The other one was a combo that said Tony Roach on it. It was made by Wright & McGill. I love it. Fleets normal price was $45 but on sale for $25. Gotta love the deals this time of year.
     Beer: So much more than a breakfast drink.  - Homer Simpson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.