Author Topic: Experimenting with a new setup  (Read 1535 times)

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
Experimenting with a new setup
« on: Feb 18, 2010, 10:04 AM »
Hello fellow 'shantiers. I'm experimenting with a new setup and want to share it. Perhaps others use or have tried a similar rig or maybe have some ideas to modify it.

I've found that the overall, few people find it favorable to use weight through the ice. Whether this is fact or word of mouth - I don't know.  Personally, I can't imagine how a fish can tell how much the bait he is striking is supposed to weigh.

Currently what I am trying out on 3 of my 5 lines is fixing a 1oz lead in between two #7 swivels and then 20# red cajun line snelled to gama baitholder hooks.  (Swivels could afford to be a bit larger, but I just load up on #7 as a good happy medium in my box. Hooks are home snelled and size dependent on bait.)

I've used it once on a half day outing so far. I had two flags on those specific rigs, and landed a 2 3/4b pickerel - the other flag the bait was still sitting there on the bottom in 4ft of water,  but was really spooked.

The only issue I had occured twice on the same tip-up. The bait wrapped itself around the main line and basically just pinned itself still.  This was the same tip-up that had gone up but nothing was there - but when that had happened, it wasn't wound up that time. (So I assume something was spooking it all day.) I will have to keep an eye on this and maybe try to think it out.

Thoughts, suggestions, etc are welcome and appreciated.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
Re: Experimenting with a new setup
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2010, 07:07 AM »
If the minnow is too active...

you have a couple of things to try.

1) you can put a small split shot sinker close to the minnow to keep it down.

2) you can take your pocket knife and cut the tail fin on the minnow so it can't swim as powerfully.

I have used both methods and they do work.   The split shot is what I normally use unless the water is very clear.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
Re: Experimenting with a new setup
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2010, 02:37 PM »
If the minnow is too active...

you have a couple of things to try.

1) you can put a small split shot sinker close to the minnow to keep it down.

2) you can take your pocket knife and cut the tail fin on the minnow so it can't swim as powerfully.

I have used both methods and they do work.   The split shot is what I normally use unless the water is very clear.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Hey Wiener,

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it and will definently use the advice.  Fished for a short time today but nothing was happening for anyone except jigging. Again 3/5 of my rigs I fished with this setup. 2 live and one dead, neither live baits tangled so I was happy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.