Author Topic: Homemade Ice Anchors!  (Read 10605 times)

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
Homemade Ice Anchors!
« on: Nov 21, 2009, 04:27 PM »
In between working on my snowmobile today I welded up my Ice anchors. As I don't wan't to spend 5 or 10 minutes putting anchors in the ice I will be using these.I can put the in my cordless drill and quickly put them in the ice. I painted the bottom white so it doesn't melt the ice as fast from the suns rays and the top black so I don't loose them in the snow. I think these should work well. I used a 6" lag bolt to make them.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Homemade Ice Anchors!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2009, 05:55 PM »
Nice accomplishment...I too have been thinking about getting the Clam ice screw adapter for just some plain lag screw eyebolts.  But Have always just asked myself, why I don't just bring out the cordless with the drill.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline thornapple

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Mid-michigan
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2009, 05:58 PM »
Nice looking anchors there Mud. Any idea how well they are going to work? I almost froze a 5 gallon bucket of water today to try out my new Strike Lite.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2009, 06:09 PM »
I think they should work great. To make them I cut off 4 phillips head long bits, in the middle is a 1/2" washer(any ratchet strap hook will fit the hole) and then the lag bolt. I bet I can get all four in the ice in about a minute. I just put an extension adapter in drill so they Hook easily to the drill and unhook without opening the chuck!

Offline Double-L

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2009, 06:16 PM »
In between working on my snowmobile today I welded up my Ice anchors. As I don't wan't to spend 5 or 10 minutes putting anchors in the ice I will be using these.I can put the in my cordless drill and quickly put them in the ice. I painted the bottom white so it doesn't melt the ice as fast from the suns rays and the top black so I don't loose them in the snow. I think these should work well. I used a 6" lag bolt to make them.

(Image removed from quote.)
   :thumbsup: :clap:  - Lou
"CATCH & RELEASE" --- For another day!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2009, 06:56 PM »
Nice idea Mud.  Now you have to carry that heavy drill onto the ice.   Those batteries will die pretty quick in real cold weather (at least mine do).  Substitute a brace (a la "brace and bit") instead.  No batteries, smaller, lighter....just as fast (well almost).

MD

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2009, 07:09 PM »
Nice idea Mud.  Now you have to carry that heavy drill onto the ice.   Those batteries will die pretty quick in real cold weather (at least mine do).  Substitute a brace (a la "brace and bit") instead.  No batteries, smaller, lighter....just as fast (well almost).Heavy drill? I'm sure the snowmobile won't notice it. ;D And I'm sure the battery will do fine. It did last year for using it to predrill holes for the pole barn nails I was using. ;D

MD

Offline DannyBoy09

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2009, 07:05 AM »
Mud&Fun grind a slot up the side of the threads so the ice has someplace to go when you drill them in.They will work great..

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2009, 09:50 AM »
Mud&Fun grind a slot up the side of the threads so the ice has someplace to go when you drill them in.They will work great..
Thanks! That's what I forgot to do. I had read about that on here before!

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2009, 01:56 PM »
Nice idea Mud.  Now you have to carry that heavy drill onto the ice.   Those batteries will die pretty quick in real cold weather (at least mine do).  Substitute a brace (a la "brace and bit") instead.  No batteries, smaller, lighter....just as fast (well almost).

MD

whats a few more pounds when your luggin all those big fish back for dinner.   :D
Don

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2009, 02:18 PM »
Good idea. For those who don't want to take a drill, just take a small 1/4" rachet with a small extension. 

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2009, 04:36 PM »
I got my slots cut in them and after the replys on here I decided to make a t-handle in case I forget the drill one day! Thanks guys!

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2009, 06:14 PM »
Pretty neat. I just use the screw in  "steps", that guys use to climb into their tree stands. $1.99 @ Gander mtn.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2009, 08:40 PM »
I just think you like to cut and burn metal!  yeah baby!

Offline wyowind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2009, 09:25 AM »
Awsome. Learned something today, might try these thanks for the great info guys. :o

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2009, 10:05 AM »
I use a similar set-up using lag bolts. In real cold ice I have found by drilling a pilot hole (1/2 the dia. of the lag bolt) gives a stronger hold. Without the pilot hole the ice tends to shatter weakening the hold. With the pilot hole the threads cut in giving a solid hold.

Rick

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #16 on: Nov 20, 2010, 09:28 AM »
I made these last year.
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 20, 2010, 10:04 AM »
Those look like Ice Devils.  ;D

Offline jmh58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 20, 2010, 03:37 PM »
Those look like Ice Devils.  ;D
Evil!! :o John :tipup:
A great rabbit chase ends with a BANG!!  Lookee there....I got a bite!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.