The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Clam 5600 Ice Shelter tie downs  (Read 3177 times)

Offline johnnyb69003

• IceShanty Rookie
Clam 5600 Ice Shelter tie downs
« on: Jan 16, 2009, 07:49 PM »
I just bought a clam 5600 a couple weeks ago and took it to the ice last weekend.  I was wondering if anyone had sugestions on how to tie it down.  My old hut had tie off points at the top corners and this worked great.  I can't find anything on this new hut to tie off to.  When I was on Ocean last weekend I thought it was going to lift off with to large guys fishing in it.  Any sugestions would be great.  Thanks
[IMG]http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/johnnyb69003/100_1994.jpg[/img

Offline neversummer

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Clam 5600 Ice Shelter tie downs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2009, 01:50 PM »
I know what you mean about the wind on ocean. I was there last week and I just got an eskimo quick flip that wouldnt stay put. It doesn't have a tie down system either so I just tied a 2x4 onto the tow rope, tying the rope not in the middle of the board, but about 3/4s to one end. Then I just drilled an ice whole and dropped it down into it. The board then turns sideways and pulls tight against the whole. But make sure to offset where you tie it onto the board or it makes it difficult to get out, the added weight due to the offset allows one end to sink making it easy to remove. might not be the best idea, but it works

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2009, 03:23 PM »
I tie mine to the ice auger with the auger head upwind...or keep it hooked to the 4 wheeler...course the ice is gonna have to get a whole lot better than this for me to ride on it.  :laugh: :tipup:       LT/ISM  :laugh:

Offline rumdrinker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2009, 09:11 PM »
So I have the same shelter, and they make a kit to anchor the shelter to the ice.  I do not recommend wasting your money on those ancors.  Last year when it was a bit colder (way colder)....the anchor system has some plastic clips, I broke 3 of 4.  I would just recommend tying a rope to the 4 bottom post and tying them to an ice anchor (screw).

Offline mulebarnmax

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2009, 07:08 AM »
We were at Ocean a week ago with an eskimo flip over and had to keep two guys in the shelter to keep it from rockin!!  WE were tied down but the hut was a rockin anyway!!  I do about the same thing as neversummer except I use some metal conduit.  a guy could add some weight to one end to help get it out of the hole at the end of the day but mine works great.  I think next time I head for Ocean I'll have some sort of hardsided shanty.
No jet skiers, no bugs...how can you not like ice fishing??

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.