The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Snow Dog track sled in Michigan  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Garyoutlaw77

• IceShanty Rookie
Snow Dog track sled in Michigan
« on: Dec 01, 2023, 02:59 AM »
I have a Snow Dog track sled and the whole reason I chose to buy was not being required to have insurance or registration  - However I've heard that a trail pass may be required to drive on Lakes in Michigan. I am not a resident & only plan to be on ice no more than a week tops so question what I'd need to stay legal. I have looked all over the State's site to no clear info. If anyone can help I'd be greatful

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Snow Dog track sled in Michigan
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2023, 06:43 AM »
For residents, ORV tag + orv trail permit. There's also a pass ( daily + temp available ) to access/ park at any state launch.
Not sure of non ' res. $$
Go to Michigan  DNR, site for ORV ,req.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2023, 10:55 AM »
I thought its only a orv tag needed.the orv trail permit is only needed if you use state atv trails.which i do not.

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2023, 12:05 PM »
I thought its only a orv tag needed.the orv trail permit is only needed if you use state atv trails.which i do not.

That's  a good question  Doc. , I looked at the regs. & can't  find a straight  answer,  Is a public lake considered part of the trail ?
10.00 for residents  & a possible  headache  avoided

Offline WelderMike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2023, 02:50 PM »
I was told by DNR a few years back when I bought mine ORV was  all I needed to get on the lake. I also do not use trails so I didn't inquire any further. He also said helmet was required if moving over 5mph.

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2024, 07:43 PM »
I am not a lawyer so this is only what I have been told and or seen.  I have a couple buddies that own sleds for ice fishing only.  They register their sleds but do not buy trail stickers as they trailer the sleds to the lake they are fishing unload at the boat ramp and drive right on the lake.  DNR talked with them several times and as long as they trailer to and from the lake they are ok trail sticker not needed to ride on a lake, helmet is required as previously stated.  I buy trail tags for mine as I ride sled to the lakes from the house so I need a trail sticker. 

Offline Ice pack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2024, 06:15 PM »
I made a snow dog of sorts it pulls you in a sled I do not wear a helmet but I do get an ORV sticker for it to not be bothered I have had people look at it never been bothered by the DNR though

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.