New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: I @#$% Hate 10" augers!!  (Read 7801 times)

Offline AquaRoach

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: I @#$% Hate 10" augers!!
« Reply #30 on: Feb 10, 2008, 06:09 AM »
my buddy stepped into one of his own 10" hole! it was as funny as watching someone walk into a closed glass door! just kidding. it can ruin a day of fishing. i always try to watch where i'm walking, especially when it's dark. i don't have a problem with anyone using a 10" cutter, they're legal. i don't have a gas auger, i have an 8" nils, and a mora 7".  i need the exercise, and don't mind hand drilling. however if where i ice fish had ice over a couple of feet thick, i'd consider an 8" gas auger, a light 2hp, with the nils cutter.

Offline aaron719

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 10, 2008, 06:33 AM »
My take is the ten in. hole is a big hazzard. No need for a hole that size.
you must not fish for 40+inch pike?
"The Green Hornet strikes again"

Offline stringer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 10, 2008, 09:04 AM »
just a quick rem. to a wet foot have had them and anyone who fishes has had them too ,this works well for me take some of those plastic grocery bags and spare socks if you get a wet foot remove boot plce on dry socks throw on a couple of g.bags insert into wet boot not as warm as before but at least you can deal with it have also used this trick to put waders on alot easier than pulling like crazy foot slides right in !!!!

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #33 on: Feb 10, 2008, 09:18 AM »
you must not fish for 40+inch pike?

I got a 41" 19lb. northern through a 7" hole.  You just have to be a man and get your hands wet.  A very large pike will come through a 8" hole.  It is not as easy but it will fit.

Offline troutscout

• IceShanty Rookie
  • when in dout fish for trout
« Reply #34 on: Feb 10, 2008, 09:29 AM »
drilled holes are one of many hazerds out there on the ice. be safe!!! :tipup:

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #35 on: Feb 10, 2008, 11:27 AM »
drilled holes are one of many hazerds out there on the ice. be safe!!! :tipup:

Like spear holes! I went completely through one about five years ago. Spear holes are supposed to be marked until they refreeze here in MN, but most people don't. Spear holes are plenty big to practice your skin diving skills in. :laugh:

Offline AquaRoach

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 10, 2008, 11:41 AM »
i don't care for a 10" hole. i lose too much stuff down a small hole. but if someone drills them for me they're just fine. i just make sure valuables are in the bottom of the trap, and i tie the flasher to the trap in case i kick it down the hole, or one of my clumbsy friends does.

Offline jbscowboy99

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WOOHOO! ICE FISHING 2011!
« Reply #37 on: Feb 10, 2008, 04:18 PM »
i will buy an 8" just cause i dont ever see needing any thing bigger but if i had the money id buy a 10", becuase you never know. :tipup:
And God said " let there be ice" and all was at peace.

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #38 on: Feb 10, 2008, 04:23 PM »
 Just today i went threw to my groin in a 9" hole that my buddy drilled and i didnt know about it  >:( . Thank god it wasnt taht cold out and my feet didnt get wet.
Jason

Offline GM2500HD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Feb 10, 2008, 05:54 PM »
My 5 year old son Jarrett fishes with me all the time, and we use a 10" auger. He has been fishing with me since he was 3 and he was to never leave my side until he grew some. Being safe is the main thing.

I like the 10" hole for two reasons:
1) Hole takes longer to freeze in during cold temps.
2) I fish a lot for Salmon, when they see the hole they want out. I like the room to play the fish with less chance of cutting my line on the SHARP bottom edge of the hole. It really helps when there is lots of ice.

Main thing is to be safe and careful and watch the smaller kids. I like a big truck, big shanty, big wheeler and a big auger. Thats my choice.
You'll find me over the deep water.

Offline jbscowboy99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 10, 2008, 07:11 PM »
 I like a big truck, big shanty, big wheeler and a big auger. Thats my choice.
[/quote]
ive fished with em and he aint lying. go big or go the h**l home!! j/k :D

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #41 on: Feb 10, 2008, 07:34 PM »
Its so much easier to get a fish, espicially a big northern to turn its head up a 10" hole. Also, we had to squeeze a 23.5lb pike through an 8" hole last year, so thats why we went to 10"s
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline brookiebandit13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 10, 2008, 07:58 PM »
My opinion is if you use a 10, keep the number of holes to a minimum. And if you have or are afraid of falling through, use a spud or walking stick or where snow shoes. i dont fish from any thing bigger than an 8. but i cant figure out how guys can fall through a 7 or 8" hole. Did you trade feet with a 5 year old? :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
 :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
Tight Lines!   >=)))))))))))))))'> <'((((((((((((((((=<

Offline jbscowboy99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 11, 2008, 03:26 PM »
 Did you trade feet with a 5 year old? :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
 :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
[/quote]
i like that aint that the truth, if your kid is jishin with you, be "SSAAFFEE" thats all you need to do.

Offline aaron719

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 11, 2008, 03:34 PM »
some people like 10" drills, some like 8", 6".....    some people like walleyes, some like pike,.......  it's all a matter of opinion.  bottom line is we ALL have to be careful.  i love my 10" drill.  wouldn't trade it for anything smaller.

Offline Chuckup

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Crappie days are here again
« Reply #45 on: Feb 14, 2008, 10:50 PM »
Happen to me last weekend. Just setup my shanty and went out to setup my tip ups. Pissed me off, or should I say felt like I was pissed on. Wet from my toes to butt cheek. packed up went back to van for a change of clothes but had to go home for dry boots thank god i only live 10 mins away. back on ice in 30mins and walking slowly.
Fishin is like sex, you can never do to much of either!

Offline aaron719

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 15, 2008, 06:36 AM »
I got a 41" 19lb. northern through a 7" hole.  You just have to be a man and get your hands wet.  A very large pike will come through a 8" hole.  It is not as easy but it will fit.
gongrats on your 41" pike, that's awesome.  :thumbsup:  sorry, but i'm still making 10" holes :-\  tight lines, stay on top and good luck

Offline Slush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 15, 2008, 07:17 AM »
personally I could care less about the size of your holes ;D  Thanks for the reminder to put dry socks in my pack.  I like the idea about the plastic bags.  bread bags work better-

Offline Madbomber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 15, 2008, 07:34 AM »
cutting 10'' holes for fish is kinda like shooting squirrels with a 30/06.     over kill
MADBOMBER ><))))))))))))))(*>

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Night time is the right time!
« Reply #49 on: Feb 15, 2008, 07:39 AM »
cutting 10'' holes for fish is kinda like shooting squirrels with a 30/06.     over kill
  What's so wrong about that?  :oBlows em up REAL good!  No need for 10" holes around here though. :P
Looking forward to some "crappie" nights!

Offline bshirtd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 15, 2008, 11:36 AM »
you guys whats the differens soon as the ice starts melting even the 6 in holes open up wide enough to go through ( found that out on cranberry last year running full tilt for a tip down)
its a footrace to the hole

Offline zipplebayman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 15, 2008, 11:40 AM »
10 inch hole  is the only way togo.if watch what your doing you wont get your foot wet.dont get me wrong i have that a couple times.but i still love my 10 inch hole.

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #52 on: Feb 15, 2008, 11:46 AM »
Come on! We all know why some have to have augers that drill big holes...they are insecure about thier own "small" things.. :roflmao:

Offline hitchcos

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Feb 15, 2008, 12:51 PM »
If you are going to use 10" holes,  please do whatever you can to mark them, so that they remain visible or can be easily recognized for a few days following.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #54 on: Feb 15, 2008, 03:13 PM »
why not mark all holes with some biodegradable flagging tape may finally stop this argument   drill with what ya got
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline PERCHPULLER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Perchpuller
« Reply #55 on: Feb 15, 2008, 06:08 PM »
Kinda like swimming in red lake last weekend ;D
All fishermen are liars except for you and me,and sometimes I wonder about you!

Offline Wade

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Feb 15, 2008, 06:36 PM »
You guys must have really small feet. I too worry about bringing my son with me and getting the all mighty soaker. I already bring a spair with me awaiting the soon to come. You know what they say about guys with small feet.  ::)

Offline basskiller46

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I swear I had a Bite"
« Reply #57 on: Feb 15, 2008, 06:41 PM »
have you considerd snow shoes or snowmobile ;D

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Feb 15, 2008, 07:26 PM »
10 inch augers are ridiculous.  :%$#!:  I have a 4 year old son who has been out with a few times. He loves to ice fish  but I gotta tell ya its my worst fear  that he goes plunging through  :-\ As a father who is safe and careful it has me on pin and needles the entire time were out together. IMO I  think they are over kill and unsafe. 95 % of the time they are necessary even when you hunting  big game like pike or tigers. I just don't buy the position that you have to have them if you going for big pike...sorry

Offline aaron719

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 15, 2008, 08:40 PM »

30/06+squirrels=target practice, but on the ice, we ALL should watch our steps.  to each their own.  this topic comes up every year and we could debate it til we turn blue in the face.  bottom line, there are always dangers on the ice, be careful, stay on top, and tight lines. :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.