New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Jigging rapalas  (Read 6890 times)

Offline rayfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted
Jigging rapalas
« on: Feb 02, 2008, 05:18 PM »
I spoke with a few guys on Oneida today. They caught most of there fish on jigging rapalas today. I tried mine with no success. I viewed a few sniffers on the vex but no takers.

My question is: do the fish bite as you jig it upwards or as it stands still after jigging (deadstick)? Also do you bait them..?

Any help would be great!

RF :)

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Jigging rapalas
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2008, 05:25 PM »
i tip with either perch eye or minnow head if that dosn't produce try a whole minnow when you see a fish on the vex and hes intrested start bring it up from bottom jigging as you go up and wait a second and keep moving it up if you get the fish 5 or six feet up and won't hit drop it to bottom let the fish follow then bring it up fast four feet the eyes at least will chase it up fast and bang it normally, the key is if when you first see the fish and he just watches change depth and get them chacing it.

PWR BAIT

« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2008, 05:35 PM »
I spoke with a few guys on Oneida today. They caught most of there fish on jigging rapalas today. I tried mine with no success. I viewed a few sniffers on the vex but no takers.

My question is: do the fish bite as you jig it upwards or as it stands still after jigging (deadstick)? Also do you bait them..?

Any help would be great!

Rayfish try jigging it suspended about 4 to 6 feet range off bottom some times they like it aggressive and sometimes just moving slow.Minnow heads or agressive fish you don't need anything.

Offline rayfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2008, 07:33 PM »
Thanks!

Offline Grady95

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay Sharp, Be Safe
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2008, 09:18 PM »
Gotta' agree that the more active feeders work slightly higher in the column as a rule.  The strike zone for me is above the floor from about 12-18" for walleyes on snap jigs like a Rapala.  If they move in and you see them on  your scanner, you might elicit a strike by either raising or lowering the bait.  They have hit me on the drop from 18" downward before.  If you are already fishing on the floor, you can't make that presentation.  Do not be afraid to start above the bottom.  Ice fishing is a little different game.
Thanks for your great question  Hope more of the sharpies on the board chime in for you.
Stay sharp, be safe,
Grady

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2008, 12:09 AM »
I'm having hard time trying to put it into words but you have to get a couple quick pops on it and then when it settles kinda bounce it lightly but barley move it with very slight pauses while doing so,all the while lifting your rod tip slowly for about a 10- 16 inch lift. This 10 to 16 iches should take about 20 seconds or so to complete.Then give it a pop or 2 and let it settle back down again and then repeat the process. I snip a 1" -1 1/2" piece of night crawler off and stick on the head hook, it's deadly. I'm sure guys jig them many different ways but this is how I have had most of my succes.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline Norman Schrader

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2008, 11:06 AM »
I fish the rapala without any bait.  I start a foot or 2 off the bottom, raise it briskly up about 3 feet and let it swim back down.  Once it is back down, I continuously thrum the rod for about a minute and then repeat the process.  If I mark fish higher and I'm not getting any hits I'll move it up to their level and do the same thing.  The thrumming makes the lure look like a fish that is just finning to stay suspended.  Most of the walleye I have caught this year have hit on the front hook.
Good luck.
Norm
Norman J. Schrader

Offline dirtyworm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2008, 11:21 AM »

Any help would be great!

I have a Question for you.  Are you using a swivel?  Jigging rapala's are notorious for twisting line.  If you don't use a swivel, the rapala will circle as you jig it and then as you let it rest it will spin or rotate which looks very unnatural. 

Offline cnyfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love the perch fillets!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2008, 11:22 AM »
Wen I fish them I drop it to bottom, dig up some silt then raise it a foot, and jig with a 3 foot lift and drop... let it sit for 10 seconds until it settles and work it on a star pattern around the hole leaving it at the same level. Do that twice, raise it a foot and repeat until you find the fish.  ;)
"Let them take it... till the minnows good and took. Ya reel up all your slack, then ya set your hook."

Offline fishin4fun

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • and then there was ice !!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2008, 09:48 AM »
i bought one last year on the suggestion of a friend, he told me the same general ideas as everyone's telling you ..after fishing all morning ,i threw it on to see the action my friend mentioned ..droped it in the hole,was talkin to my partner,next thing i knew i was pulling a 22inch norlunge through the ice.. first one and what a rush.. lure broke off the 4lb test and we both laughed like kid's,looking at the fish.... great memory

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2008, 09:52 AM »
my black and silver worked fine on the eyes last year
caught a couple of perch on it this year no eyes yet this year all on swedish pimple

Offline rayfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2008, 09:54 AM »
I did not use a swivel, but I did try the rapala loop knot which seemed to limit the twisting.

thanks

Offline dirtyworm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2008, 10:35 AM »
The other advantage of a swevel, is it will let you know when the fish is right at the hole.  The hooks on the nose and tail can get caught on the ice when you are pulling it through the hole.  The swevel wont prevent that, but it will alert you to when the fish is getting close.

Offline jdjyoung

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get the gaf, I'm catching this one!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2008, 12:12 PM »
 I've snagged the front and back hooks on the ice before and have lost fish because of it so now I cut them both off. Most of the fish I hook on Raps are on the treble underneath so if youve had toubles in the past, don't be afraid to give them a snip.
" I'll take a bad day of fishing over a good day at work anytime!"

Offline uglystickjake

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice ?
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2008, 01:10 PM »
One of my favorite ways to fish the Rapala is with a  perch eye on the treble... Sometimes we have luck  when  we load the spikes on there also.
*REMOVED*

Offline Grady95

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay Sharp, Be Safe
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2008, 01:49 PM »
This weekend was a very slow one for producing fish.  The one good one we managed yesterday was a largemouth on the small Jigging Rapala with just a small piece of nightcrawler hung off the treble.
I suggest you stick with the lure though.  Moe times than not, you'll shake up something with it.  I personally do not use a swivel.  I use Fireline on the rod for maximum sensitivity, but I tie in a leader section of Vanish Florocarbon.  I tie the Vanish directly to the lure and just take my chances.  Have not had the problems of losing fish or getting the hooks caught on the rim of the hole.  Not to discount that at all. You decide how to approach that yourself.  What I am saying is that the Jigging Rapala is a proven winner, and you should become proficient with it.  You'll boost your percentage.
Stay sharp, be safe
Grady

Offline Oilcan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2008, 02:36 PM »
I've had good luck with Jigging Raps in the past but with al the lure options these days. I forget to give it a try. I'm gonna put it back in my regular daily routine

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2008, 08:33 PM »
caught all my fish today on my black and silver tipped w/minnow head

Offline Dull Hooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 05, 2008, 06:47 AM »
I've got a small black and silver one that the paint is about off it.Sometimes I lightly jig it and pause and if the fish are on that day I give it a good snap and let swim back to the center of the hole.Sometimes on the snap they crush it or when it swims back its not long before they jump on it hard.

Offline brookiebandit13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 05, 2008, 08:13 AM »
I have never really tried jiggin raps. But ive heard guys have had great success with them
 :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
Tight Lines!   >=)))))))))))))))'> <'((((((((((((((((=<

Offline hoythunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 05, 2008, 11:09 AM »
what size is best for walleye on oneida and what colors?

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #21 on: Feb 05, 2008, 11:31 AM »
Swivel and a long shank treble or dropper!
Give it a try ;D
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #22 on: Feb 05, 2008, 01:22 PM »
anyone use the jigging fat rap

Offline Fridge

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Check out my BIG FATTY!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 05, 2008, 03:35 PM »
I too cut the front and back hooks off of the lure.  I had problems with them on the ice.  I also change out the bottom treble hook with a larger one (i like red hooks).  I used to fish pimples and Kast Masters all the time.  For the last 4-5 years I have stuck with the jigging raps because they seem to generate action from all species of fish.  I like the blue and silver glow raps and the fluorescent perch color.  I change the size depending on the fishing.  If I'm in walleye territory I use a larger one (about 2" long) I think it's a #5.  If there are both perch and walleye in the area I use a smaller one.  I found it very important to put a larger treble on the bottom hook.  I lost a lot of walleye on them until I started doing this.  Just my experience with them.  It is now my lure of Choice.
My name is Fridge.........and I'm a hard water addict! 

Offline Grady95

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay Sharp, Be Safe
« Reply #24 on: Feb 05, 2008, 03:52 PM »
anyone use the jigging fat rap
Couple of my buddies were using them weekend before last and doing well on the 'eyes.  I'd use one myself but I can't find one!  If you know who has them for sale, please let me know.  I found a Nils lure very similar, but would still like a Fat Rap Jig in the box.  Firetiger or blue/silver are good colors.
Good Luck,
Grady

Offline edddieo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 05, 2008, 05:08 PM »
Couple of my buddies were using them weekend before last and doing well on the 'eyes.  I'd use one myself but I can't find one!  If you know who has them for sale, please let me know.  I found a Nils lure very similar, but would still like a Fat Rap Jig in the box.  Firetiger or blue/silver are good colors.
Good Luck,
Grady
love them there  a greatway to start working a hole if you bring in fish and there not hitting drop something smaller down great way to bring fish in close

Offline dirtyworm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 05, 2008, 06:11 PM »
As far as size I use a #7 pretty much exclusively.

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #27 on: Feb 06, 2008, 04:58 AM »
Good Luck,
Grady
buddy gave me a nils lure that was similar the plastic tail broke as soon as i brought it through the hole it hardly hit the ice and snap off it came
the nils one suck as far as im concerned

Offline Superx2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 06, 2008, 02:02 PM »
Tip that middle hook with a strip of perch belly meat and hang on, works great for all species.  Did a test using the camera with and without the belly meat.  What a difference the meat made, fish came right in and nailed the lure.  Ol'timer trick learned way back. ;)

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 06, 2008, 05:23 PM »
hoythunter i use one about an 1 1/2 in black and silver or perch pattern

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.