New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: App's landing bait and tackle on Oneida Lake is OPEN!  (Read 7228 times)

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
Rick of App's landing on Oneida lake in Cleveland asked me to spread the word the bait shop is open for business..opening at 6:30 am .....or so..
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline PACKERBACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Retired
Re: Ap's landing bait and tackle on Oneida Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2008, 03:03 PM »
Is this the guy who use to take guys out and pick them up at the end of the day? If so, is he still doing that? Thanks for the info.

packerbacker
Winners don't know they're in a race.

They just like to run.

Offline caribou

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2008, 05:21 PM »
the only guy i know that was taking people out was frank trip out of pine grove but that was a long time ago hope this helps you out

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2008, 05:56 PM »
I went out with Rick a number of times. He was very accommodating.

Bill, You interested in trying in a couple of weeks? PM me.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2008, 06:01 PM »
so apps is back open
hard to keep customers when your in and out of business
hope by the time i make it that way he will still be around :-\

Offline percheyes42

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2008, 06:29 PM »
Is this the guy who use to take guys out and pick them up at the end of the day? If so, is he still doing that? Thanks for the info.

packerbacker
Yeah, Rick use to take people out and pick them up at the end of the day. I think he use to charge like $5. I don't think that he's done that in years.

I have been hunting or fishing almost everyday of my life. The rest have been wasted.

Offline woodburn

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2008, 08:18 PM »
the only guy i know that was taking people out was frank trip out of pine grove but that was a long time ago hope this helps you out
KIND OF HARD FOR FRANK TRIPP TO TAKE YOU OUT HE'S BEEN DEAD FOR QUITE A FEW YEARS. WAS OUT CHECKING ICE CONDITIONS AND WENT TRHOUGH AND DROWNED. GREAT GUY

Offline cnypanfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2008, 06:08 AM »
KIND OF HARD FOR FRANK TRIPP TO TAKE YOU OUT HE'S BEEN DEAD FOR QUITE A FEW YEARS. WAS OUT CHECKING ICE CONDITIONS AND WENT TRHOUGH AND DROWNED. GREAT GUY
Yaman, Frank was a great guy, hard to believe he fell through like that, he knew the lake like the back of his hand.

My grandfather had his boat in Appy's landing there when I was a kid, that is what got me hooked. I remember fishing with him and his buddy Shorty at night for walleyes in the 70's. We would get quite a few then jigging black jigs with nightcrawlers out on the 1st and 2nd bar there. We used to get jumbo sunfish on apps barge there in front of Cleveland school as well. But now the barge has sunk to almost even with the bottom now, so the structure that held them is gone.

Rick at App's is into it, great info and whatnot. Great to see mom n pop type stores taking up the slack that Marion Manor left.

cnypanfisher

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2008, 06:13 AM »
so apps is back open
hard to keep customers when your in and out of business
hope by the time i make it that way he will still be around :-\

kinda hard to sell bait to ice fishermen when there's no ice.... :D

I'm glad he's back and will get over and support him as soon as I can.  I've hopped on the back of his chariot a few times and he seems like a great guy... even had some buddies spend the night in the house there...even if it's $10 that saves me from loading the wheeler, worrying about a parking spot, blah blah blah....
Don't Stand Outside too long......

Offline Tank

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2008, 09:54 AM »
Rick will still take people out and provide a shelter. He also will house you if your interested.

Offline belky12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2008, 10:10 AM »
Hey cnypanfisher, What was your gradfathers name. I think his buddy Shorty was my father, just curious as I lost my old man in december. Thanks Steve

Offline cnypanfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ap's landing bait and tackle on Oneida Lake is OPEN!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2008, 12:10 PM »
Could very well be, did your pop ever live right across the street from the landing?? If so I would love to tell you about 1 time we fished with him, it is 1 of the best stories ever.  :D :D :D

cnypanfisher

Offline belky12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2008, 12:43 PM »
Cnypanfisher, Yes he did. My dad (Shorty Belknap) and his father"s side of the family used to considered the fish pirates out of Brewerton back in the day and I can imagine the stories. What was your gradfathers name? Thanks Steve

Offline cnypanfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2008, 01:13 PM »
Cnypanfisher, Yes he did. My dad (Shorty Belknap) and his father"s side of the family used to considered the fish pirates out of Brewerton back in the day and I can imagine the stories. What was your gradfathers name? Thanks Steve

Check your messages Steve. Maybe there were 2 Shorty's in the area. My mom doesn't seem to think that "the Shorty" that her dad fished with was a Belknap. He lived right across the street from Apps in the seventies though eh??

cnypanfisher

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2008, 06:59 PM »
kinda hard to sell bait to ice fishermen when there's no ice.... :D

I'm glad he's back and will get over and support him as soon as I can.  I've hopped on the back of his chariot a few times and he seems like a great guy... even had some buddies spend the night in the house there...even if it's $10 that saves me from loading the wheeler, worrying about a parking spot, blah blah blah....
well im not only an ice fisherman,
if a place that i stop at more than once isnt open i most likely will not return thats all i was sayin
so the guy happens to be a nice dude oh well  is he open when ever i stopped there NO ,maybe been in there twice
and i fish on a daily bases around Oneida,also APPS
there is ice and last i checked there are fish in this lake year round
im sure Cleveland has great demand for bait only in the winter

Offline cnypanfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2008, 06:22 AM »
well im not only an ice fisherman,
if a place that i stop at more than once isnt open i most likely will not return thats all i was sayin
so the guy happens to be a nice dude oh well  is he open when ever i stopped there NO ,maybe been in there twice
and i fish on a daily bases around Oneida,also APPS
there is ice and last i checked there are fish in this lake year round
im sure Cleveland has great demand for bait only in the winter

I agree with bucketass, Eddie In consatantia is open every day at 6 AM promptly. He was even open when the ice was crappy, but he sold bait to guys that were traveling north, so it was worth it. He might be in rough shape on Sunday morning like last weekend, but the doors are always open. I have noticed that even when Apps was going, it was always hit-or-miss as to whether you could get bait. I say if you are going to fish north shore, Go to Not Just Bait. At least the lights are on, and he open at 6, not 6:30 or so, or something, or maybe, or when you feel like it.

cnypanfisher

Offline walleye1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2008, 06:45 AM »
Rick is a hell of a nice guy and he's done me a ton of favors through the years. Glad to hear he's open again! 8)

Offline year-round-fishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: App's landing bait and tackle on Oneida Lake is OPEN!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2008, 06:43 PM »
I'v only known Rick for a short while few jobs here and there. By far the nicest guy. I'v seen him bend so far backwards for strangers and for my self. If your in the area look'em up it would be worth it and he tells the truth too. I love his guarantee on his lures: " I have a guarantee on my all my lures, guaranteed I catch fish on them all." I'm sure he does and I'm sure he'll help you out too.

Offline percheyes42

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: App's landing bait and tackle on Oneida Lake is OPEN!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2008, 09:12 AM »
Agreed. Rick is a H E double hockey stick of a nice guy. You can believe everything he says. He definitely won't steer you wrong. I think I'll stop in there today and see if he has some of my goto jigs. He's the only one I've seen carrying them. I do wish he would be open a little more often though. I've been trying to catch up with him for the last couple of years with no luck. Anybody know his phone #? PM me with it if you want.

I have been hunting or fishing almost everyday of my life. The rest have been wasted.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.