New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Ice shack break ins on Lake George  (Read 6762 times)

Offline Pickeralpicker91

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice shack break ins on Lake George
« Reply #30 on: Jan 30, 2014, 04:28 PM »
I had someone steal my cooler out of my boat in the 2 minutes that I ran into stewarts.  They must have really wanted those herring and blood worms.

Offline icedpapermouth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 30, 2014, 04:52 PM »
Wow, this is amazing. The population of dirtbags is well. I went out on the ice today and picked up 3 beer cans, a two liter bottle and a pile of cigarette butts. And it wasn't the first time that has happened this year. The expression "theif in the night" applies to these jerks 'cause I never see them when they are doing it. I hope all your stuff is recovered... there is hope. I had a 12 ga. Remington stolen and the cops recovered it, by some miracle.... I honestly thought it would never happen.

Offline egriffin70

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ed
« Reply #32 on: Jan 30, 2014, 05:15 PM »
This guy or guys might be looking to get rid of his loot.  Check eBay, pawn, Craigslist in surrounding states for items being sold, ask for detailed pics from seller to identify items if online. 

Hope they catch them, or better yet some ice justice if they catch them in the act. 

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always fishing for something!
« Reply #33 on: Jan 30, 2014, 09:01 PM »
Ed Lockhart lost everything too guys, I chatted with him a bit on FB this afternoon...Need to find them and make them feel the wrath of a sportsman wronged...Barebow

Offline RaCKaHoLIC518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 30, 2014, 10:48 PM »
I'm gonna place my hut out there and spend a few nights in it. If I catch em, I'm going to shove them through a 6 inch hole!!!  I think I would question any person on a machine during the dark hours.  It's something they have had planned for some Time.  Being prepared with cutters and a machine.  My guess is that they have a way to the lake that does not require a trailer. If hadlock happened during the same time frame I would guess the culprit lives close enough to hop on a trail system.  How else would you explain a pile of random gear while
Loading your machine up in the  evening hours. Gotta bait them in with a gps enabled device. Like the iPhones locator apps.  Let em get one of those then the hunt begins.
I like the way this guy thinks!!  :thumbsup:

Offline adktony

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 31, 2014, 05:20 AM »
I like the way this guy thinks!!  :thumbsup:

I second that!

Offline myemmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 31, 2014, 05:33 AM »
Trail cameras !!

Offline BALLSTHATCLANK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 31, 2014, 05:41 AM »
I hate hearing things like this...it really sucks! A lockable trail cam would be the ticket to catch these dirty bums! I have some old home made tip ups that would need some TLC that you could have. I believe I have 6 of them. Like I said though they would need some TLC. They are mahogany and my fishing buddies named them the guard rails because I didn't spare on the wood ( ;D). I was thinking about re-furbishing them with new parts but I travel for work and just don't have the time. You are welcome to them if you want. I am traveling back home to Hadley N.Y. this weekend, just PM me if your interested.

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 31, 2014, 06:18 AM »
Check classifieds in The Post Star also. I talked to Ed yesterday. He lost 7 heritage lakers and a 6" mora auger.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 31, 2014, 07:54 AM »
this is very unfortunate that people go to this level to take something from others that we have obviously worked for.

I know how you guys feel. Unfortunately about 9 years ago we had 2 brand new snowmobiles stolen out of out trailers (they cut the locks) in Canada. They also tried to steal my grandfathers silverado, with the trailer hooked up and 2 brand new sleds in it. Luckily they were in a hurry and broke his shifter so his truck didnt go anywhere, but he had 15 grand in cash in his glove box and they didnt even open it. We never got our sleds back.

It sucks having anything stolen from you. Big or small.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #40 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:35 AM »
This really sucks. If the shanties are homemade I would consider building a secret compartment for a trail cam. Catch them in the act!

Offline pikenforcer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • To fish or not to fish, that is the question!
« Reply #41 on: Jan 31, 2014, 06:14 PM »
Never had any fishing gear stolen but had my truck broken into in a DEC lot this past summer while I was taking a nice hike with my wife during our anniversary vacation. Little SOBs broke open the glove box and took all my cash. Luckily, they left everything else alone in the truck, including all my fishing gear. They did about $2,000 in damage to the vehicle though. Luckily I had good insurance. I hope these guys get caught. Anyone notify the local ECO's? Hopefully they can lend a hand in catching them $@!#%^&!!!!!!!!! Lesson learned. Don't leave anything valuable anywhere unless you are standing guard with your fully loaded AR. Just make sure it has less than seven rounds!!!!!!!!! LOL........

Offline LAKEGEORGEJEFF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:05 PM »
Thats BS! >:( Was your name on your tip up?
My tip ups were heritage lakers.One of a kind as I stained them a dark oak color.They were also spooled with that black plastic line that doesn't freeze.

CALLING ALL FISH!!!!!!!!!

Offline LAKEGEORGEJEFF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:08 PM »
And it begins. Always hear of at least one rash of break ins every year. Eyes and ears are open over here. Sorry about your loss. Hopefully the scumbags get caught. As someone asked, what is the name on the tip ups? What kind are they besides being stained?
Jeff Allen written on the heritage Lakers tip ups. Dark oak color stain. Thanks for the help.

Offline LAKEGEORGEJEFF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:21 PM »
I'm gonna place my hut out there and spend a few nights in it. If I catch em, I'm going to shove them through a 6 inch hole!!!  I think I would question any person on a machine during the dark hours.  It's something they have had planned for some Time.  Being prepared with cutters and a machine.  My guess is that they have a way to the lake that does not require a trailer. If hadlock happened during the same time frame I would guess the culprit lives close enough to hop on a trail system.  How else would you explain a pile of random gear while
Loading your machine up in the  evening hours. Gotta bait them in with a gps enabled device. Like the iPhones locator apps.  Let em get one of those then the hunt begins.
I like it !! The track came from the trail system across beach road onto the lake , right to my shanty,then to the other shanty, and right back to the trail system. The trails are closed because lack of snow. I believe this person lives right off the trail.I have to work all weekend but I'm going hunting on Monday.

Offline icedpapermouth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:26 PM »
I'm really surprised law enforcement didn't do just that, they have a trail, possibly to the guys doorstep and they didn't follow it? We pay taxes for a reason.

Offline LAKEGEORGEJEFF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:42 PM »
That's my fault for not calling them. I followed the tracks to the road . Once they hit the trail I could not follow on my wheeler. I'm gonna walk it Monday. Every track that goes to a house I'll be a knocking!

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #47 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:47 PM »
I wouldent blame yourself for this man. these scum have no respect or morals when it comes to peoples stuff! I really hope your persistence pays off and you find them. keep an eye out on facebooks online garage sale thing. they will have to try and sell them somewhere!

Offline LAKEGEORGEJEFF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:49 PM »
I wouldent blame yourself for this man. these scum have no respect or morals when it comes to peoples stuff! I really hope your persistence pays off and you find them. keep an eye out on facebooks online garage sale thing. they will have to try and sell them somewhere!
I will and I thank all of you too !

Offline Chase88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 31, 2014, 09:31 PM »
There are some good ideas that are being passed around. Remember though that the dirt bags are probably reading this. Keep the good ideas to your self and use them. Also if you see something say something to law enforcement. These dirt bags get away with a lot of crap because a lot of people see something but if it does not affect them directly they don't say anything.

Offline LAKEGEORGEJEFF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 01, 2014, 04:19 AM »
Found out this morning another friend of mine was hit too. 400$ worth.
His shack was by Elizabeth island .

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #51 on: Feb 01, 2014, 05:09 AM »
apparently you cant keep anything in your shantys anymore! I had a portable taken 2 years ago. I had a emergency on the ice and had to leave immediately and within 3 hours someone had stolen it and dragged it to echo bay. it was a 2 man Viking in  black with lots of ducktape patches. I even left a note explaining my situation but that didn't matter. my dad cut his hand with the auger and we were afraid he got a artery cause the blood was everywere. ended up getting 18 stiches in his forearm. my name was on the shanty and my address to. I guess it was my fault for leaving it for a few hours tho.

Offline SSmithNY92

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Run it hot!
« Reply #52 on: Feb 01, 2014, 04:06 PM »
Keep this near the top, the more eyes that see it, the better. I'm a good distance from Lake George but I'll keep my eyes and ears open. I think any information or updates (including new break ins) should be posted. This kind of thing can only go so long before some idiot messes up and gets caught.
Common sense isn't so common.

The fishing was always better yesterday.

Ice Team Member.

Offline Fidlerontheice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 01, 2014, 05:04 PM »

Have it set so someone drops you off and have a good sleeping bag. I am with you best way to get them is red handed. If you cable a trailcam to something heavy and cumbersome it would be quite the deterent to steal it.
!!FLAG!!

Offline adk dave

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Feb 01, 2014, 05:10 PM »
ssmith your right this should stay right on top so everyone keeps and eye out for the gear.

Offline Sethj8120

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Feb 01, 2014, 06:53 PM »
This is bs if my shack was broken into and I found out someone's gettin the knuckles

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Feb 02, 2014, 12:45 PM »
I'm really surprised law enforcement didn't do just that, they have a trail, possibly to the guys doorstep and they didn't follow it? We pay taxes for a reason.
Really!!!! Follow a single snowmobile track down a designated snowmobile trail! Seriously?
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline Joe Snag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just Waiting for Deer season to open
« Reply #57 on: Feb 02, 2014, 01:44 PM »
East Caroga Lake also our shanty had the guilde lines cut and taken,shanty flopped over and did a lot of damage,5/8" rope on all 4 corners...
[

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #58 on: Feb 02, 2014, 01:48 PM »
East Caroga Lake also our shanty had the guilde lines cut and taken,shanty flopped over and did a lot of damage,5/8" rope on all 4 corners...

Better start using 5/8 cable HB... ;D   
Or anchor it from the inside?       ???
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Joe Snag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just Waiting for Deer season to open
« Reply #59 on: Feb 02, 2014, 03:05 PM »
High Voltage Fencer.......
[

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.