New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Ice shack break ins on Lake George  (Read 6760 times)

Offline icedpapermouth

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice shack break ins on Lake George
« Reply #60 on: Feb 02, 2014, 06:48 PM »
Really!!!! Follow a single snowmobile track down a designated snowmobile trail! Seriously?

Seriously. Trails were closed so there shouldn't have been too many tracks. It is easy to follow scag marks as long as there isn't too much traffic, which there shouldn't have been seeing as how it was closed. And if it was first thing in the morning law enforcement would be able to just follow them.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Feb 03, 2014, 05:26 AM »
Seriously. Trails were closed so there shouldn't have been too many tracks. It is easy to follow scag marks as long as there isn't too much traffic, which there shouldn't have been seeing as how it was closed. And if it was first thing in the morning law enforcement would be able to just follow them.
Those trails were beat right down with tracks before this happened.
Closed or not... They've been ridden to the point that it would have been impossible to single out a set of tracks once the thieves hit that trail.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline Iceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:47 AM »
We had gear stolen out of the back of our truck at Kepler's Point at Schroon a couple of years ago, so I bought a cap and keep it all under lock and key now. I don't leave anything of value in the shanty anymore and its locked. I know a lot of guys leave their shanty's unlocked but I think its inviting theft. Too many people get off on the thrill of steeling whether they need something or not.

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #63 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:57 AM »
a lot of guys leave them unlocked and they just take all the gear home with them at the end of the day. my dad was telling me about 15 years ago he had a shanty on schrooon and somebody burnt it down on him! they must have wanted that spot real bad!

Offline icedpapermouth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:16 AM »
Those trails were beat right down with tracks before this happened.
Closed or not... They've been ridden to the point that it would have been impossible to single out a set of tracks once the thieves hit that trail.

Oh I see, nobody pays attention to trail closures up there either. I was thinking within reason it isn't hard to follow a set of tracks on top of the other tracks. When I have gotten separated from a group riding it is easy to follow the last set of scag marks that cut over the rest of the tracks. So if someone stole his things at midnight and at first light it would be possible that you could just track him if he was the last one riding as his tracks would be on top. Just saying if things were right it is possible, although it sounds like wouldn't have happened in this case. I really hate to see scumbags get away with this sort of thing and I never hear of anyone getting caught.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:30 AM »
Somebody should hide a GPS tracker or a cell phone in their stuff. Let the cops track them down.

JJ

« Reply #66 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:36 AM »
Oh I see, nobody pays attention to trail closures up there either. I was thinking within reason it isn't hard to follow a set of tracks on top of the other tracks. When I have gotten separated from a group riding it is easy to follow the last set of scag marks that cut over the rest of the tracks. So if someone stole his things at midnight and at first light it would be possible that you could just track him if he was the last one riding as his tracks would be on top. Just saying.

Maybe you should pay attention to what has been posted in this thread. The OP stated that he tried following the tracks but was on his 4-wheeler, then he stated that he didn't call the police when he found the shanty had been broken into. How could the authorities possibly follow the tracks?

Sure is easy to criticize. @)

Offline burt reynolds

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Feb 04, 2014, 05:34 AM »
For what it's worth...I picked up a master lock off of Hearthstone on Sunday 2/2, the lock had been sheared clean with bolt cutters. I have a picture of the lock and will post...just haven't had a chance as of yet.

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Feb 04, 2014, 05:59 AM »
Maybe you should pay attention to what has been posted in this thread. The OP stated that he tried following the tracks but was on his 4-wheeler, then he stated that he didn't call the police when he found the shanty had been broken into. How could the authorities possibly follow the tracks?

Sure is easy to criticize. @)
X2 ;D
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline icedpapermouth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Feb 04, 2014, 08:29 AM »
I like it !! The track came from the trail system across beach road onto the lake , right to my shanty,then to the other shanty, and right back to the trail system. The trails are closed because lack of snow. I believe this person lives right off the trail.I have to work all weekend but I'm going hunting on Monday.

I wasn't criticizing him! I feel bad for him! I wasn't thinking of his first post. I assumed he called the cops after he estabished the tracks went to the trail system and that the tracks were some of the last ones on the trail. Then I explained how it could be possible to follow them. Just a bunch of IF's I clearly should have kept to myself. I am not trying to be jerk, just explaining things, which can be taken in a different way on a forum.  ;)

Offline cnyiceboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Die hard
« Reply #70 on: Feb 04, 2014, 12:16 PM »
I can't remember the name of it but I bought a gps tracker chip for my trail cameras. I think it was around 50.00 and comes with software to use on your computer. I had to use it once when my trail camera was stolen last year. Lead the cops right to the persons house. Just an idea for a few people out there.
A good day fishing inst complete unless it's spent with family or friends.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Feb 18, 2014, 05:47 AM »
There are a ton of listings recently for ice fishing stuff on the Albany Craigslist site ......  might be worth a look to see if anything looks familiar.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline LAKEGEORGEJEFF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Feb 18, 2014, 02:29 PM »
Thanks Ship

CALLING ALL FISH!!!!!!!!!

Offline EasternCentralNY21

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love The Great Outdoors
« Reply #73 on: Mar 16, 2014, 11:01 AM »
my buddy has his stuff stolen out of the back seat of his cavalier.. luckily the fish finder was home charging.. all he lost was tip ups and a hand auger but still pretty annoying. he was planning on selling his tip ups anyway! this is still going on so people keep a close eye on your stuff!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.