New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Attention Ice Fishermen with SNOWMOBILES!!!!  (Read 7249 times)

Offline bobdboater

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Attention Ice Fishermen with SNOWMOBILES!!!!
« Reply #30 on: Jan 28, 2010, 08:54 AM »
Nobody should be upset for getting cited for their registration numbers in the wrong area.  It explicitly states where to affix the stickers when you get them.  Anybody getting ticketed for non helmet useage?
I got stopped for no Helmet by the DEC so make sure you have them on............I even had it with me but didn't have it on my noodle.

I only got a sturn warning thank god.........
A bad day fishing is better than being at work.

Offline IceFisher21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 28, 2010, 09:03 AM »
State troopers and encon stop mine and my buddy shanty last weekend they ended up writing 5 tickets, 4 for having the stickers in wrong place and one for encon for not having a fishing licence which he lost and encon wouldnt call to see if he had one on the computer  >:( >:(

Offline andycapp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 28, 2010, 09:07 AM »
My girl friend was **censored**ed, She just got her fishing license today $29.00. Went up about $10. bucks. I have been getting mine free for the past few years. But I had to go to Iraq and Afghanistan. for the free tags. WOW I guess it really wasn't free
Glad to have you back Brother.
Nothing in life is free unless you are a politician or a Slime Ball Lawyer. It's guys like you and me that pay the price to keep what we have. Some of our Brothers paid the ultimate price in the Sandbox to help us keep it.

A free fishing license is trivial repayment for the your time in the Sanbox. Like I posted before the DEC, NYSP are not anyones friends. I saw a guy get a ticket for pulling his kid out onto the ice in a sled with a freaking rope. He was not going fast. The Trooper on the sled that caught him was certainly moving along.

Offline waterlover48

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 28, 2010, 10:07 AM »
whats the story on a atv is there a helmet law when traveling on the ice, thank you

Offline bobdboater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 28, 2010, 10:09 AM »
whats the story on a atv is there a helmet law when traveling on the ice, thank you
When traveling anywhere but private property, may it be on the water or land, you must have a helmet on at all times. ATV or Sled

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 28, 2010, 06:51 PM »
      Grady95,
Read some of these coments and you should be all right. The new registration numbers have a greyish backing on reflective material. As long as they are attached to the vertical side of the cowling in plain sight they can't ticket you. The new stickers have printed on them where to attach the yearly registration sticker. UPPER left have box. My HIGH & LOW beams work. The brake lights and emergency brakes work. I have the registration, insurance card and snowmobile club cards on the sled at all times. I also have the hard permanent hitch on back for towing. REMEMBER........ These laws have been in place for a long time. NYS is now enforcing them because of the budget crisis. If you goof up you'll get a ticket plain and simple. Br legal and they can't touch you. BTW, Most people that recieved tickets last weekend were stopped for speeding on the trails and on Sacandaga. Onced stopped it was fasir game. Trail speed limit is 25mph and Sacandaga is 55mph. I didn't write the laws just reporting. My sled is used for ice fishing so I won't be speeding. Just need to get farther out on the ice for some better fishing spots. Good Luck to you............
      Kim :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :blink: :blink: :blink: :cookoo: :callcops: :icefish: :icefish:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Grady95

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay Sharp, Be Safe
« Reply #36 on: Jan 28, 2010, 07:39 PM »
Thanks Piscesman,
My stickers were on there when I bought the sled.  Ironically, the previous owner is one of the tellers at the window at the DMV!  I suppose if the decals aren't right, we'll have a good laugh next time I see her.
Is your pulling hook up on the sled a homemade job, or did you actually buy it somewhere?  I'll do whatever I'm supposed to do.  Seeing an example of the hook up would help (if anyone reading has a picture?). 
I'm not on a crusade to change the laws.  They are like background noise; always there, but not worth paying any more attention to than necessary.  I just want to fish and not get hassled.  It's easier and in the long run, cheaper to just do it right.
Thanks for taking the time to follow up like you did.  Best of luck fishing.
Stay Sharp, Be Safe
Grady

Offline ICE LUNATIC

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shiney eyes here i come!
« Reply #37 on: Jan 28, 2010, 08:21 PM »
Your suppose to have a tow bar if your towing a sled.Atv or sled you need this or they can write you a ticket..It is the law..Now as for the sleds ,they had nothing better to do the weekend of the 24th except to write tickets to the snowmobiler's It was there first poker run on the lake...If the snowmobiler's didn't want them to see there number,s they just wouldn't stop..There is no way any lawman sled on that lake would even keep up with a 600 or above..Wave and pin it,you'll make the poor lawman look like this  :o :o :o
Trying to become a shiney eye king!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Jan 28, 2010, 10:06 PM »
these rules have not changed  since the yearly 70's....so whats the problem???? you have to  use the same numbers on a boat! and the sticker goes  on right  next to the numbers ....the location is shown on the reg. with instructions ..... were talking a over 40 year old law here

Offline TR19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 29, 2010, 12:25 PM »
.There is no way any lawman sled on that lake would even keep up with a 600 or above..Wave and pin it,you'll make the poor lawman look like this  :o :o :o

I don't know about that anymore. Some of the Sherrifs & DEC are now running  800 & 1200 cc Yami's & Doo's. My sleds fast but it still won't outrun Motorola either.

Offline soduswaternut

• IceShanty Rookie
  • work is for people who don't know how to fish!!!
« Reply #40 on: Jan 29, 2010, 12:43 PM »
State troopers and encon stop mine and my buddy shanty last weekend they ended up writing 5 tickets, 4 for having the stickers in wrong place and one for encon for not having a fishing licence which he lost and encon wouldnt call to see if he had one on the computer  >:( >:(

Your fishing license is a Bearer instrament , you HAVE to have it on you ... Econ officer doesn't have to call anyone.

Tight Lines,
Steve

Offline Grady95

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay Sharp, Be Safe
« Reply #41 on: Jan 29, 2010, 02:38 PM »
these rules have not changed  since the yearly 70's....so whats the problem???? you have to  use the same numbers on a boat! and the sticker goes  on right  next to the numbers ....the location is shown on the reg. with instructions ..... were talking a over 40 year old law here
No Problem,
I'm a green rookie when it comes to snowmobiling, at least as it pertains to use on public land.  It sounded like there were several instances recently where experienced, law abiding snowmobilers were ticketed for infractions even they were not aware they were committing. Since I am new to it, I just thought it would be nice not to become a statistic right off the bat.  How a simple request for clarification could set off such animosity is beyond me, but I'll apologize just the same.
Thank You to those who responded.  Sorry to those who took offense.  You could simply choose to not read the post!
Whatever!
Grady

Offline johnnywalleye

• IceShanty Rookie
  • some days u r the dog,others the hydrant
« Reply #42 on: Jan 29, 2010, 05:48 PM »
trust me on this .. a state trooper has enough horse power between his legs to catch almost any sled used for icefishing.they ride some of the best machines your money can buy.they are also out in the warm months on the canal trails writing tickets too.its all about the money!!!sad but true
salmon;the other pink meat

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 29, 2010, 05:56 PM »
      Grady,
I bought a manufactured hitch made for my 1997 Polaris Indy Trail. Also I bought a Shapell Jetsled XL with the more exspensive tow bar. Very easy to take it off and pull the sled by hand. I did make a wooden sled that I thought woud do the trick. Maiden voyage 1 ski broke off and was a hassle. Moved up to the Shapell stuff and not regretting it. Easier to set up and get under way for more time on the ice. Good Luck to you. Hopes this helps................. .
      Kim :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 29, 2010, 06:14 PM »
I don't know about that anymore. Some of the Sherrifs & DEC are now running  800 & 1200 cc Yami's & Doo's. My sleds fast but it still won't outrun Motorola either.
Your correct sir, and to boot we payed some of them to go through an extensive performance riding class. Friend of mine who is a forest ranger went. His new sled will catch most anyone on a trail or the ice for that matter. He just caught his highest mph speed demon, 93 in a 35. They towed the sled in after the guy got mouthy. He said most of the trail riders just ask how much the fine will be and say oh ok. The biggest problems they have are with as he put it people using sleds for other outdoor enjoyments. In other words guys US.

Offline Grady95

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay Sharp, Be Safe
« Reply #45 on: Jan 29, 2010, 07:06 PM »
     Grady,
I bought a manufactured hitch made for my 1997 Polaris Indy Trail. Also I bought a Shapell Jetsled XL with the more exspensive tow bar. Very easy to take it off and pull the sled by hand. I did make a wooden sled that I thought woud do the trick. Maiden voyage 1 ski broke off and was a hassle. Moved up to the Shapell stuff and not regretting it. Easier to set up and get under way for more time on the ice. Good Luck to you. Hopes this helps................. .
      Kim :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
I just went to the Shappell website and found two towbars, one tows 100lb, the other 250lb.  I'll find a dealer and get one right away.  Somewhere around this old farm, there must be something I can make a hitch out of for the back of the sled.
Many Thanks. :clap:  This is just what I needed to know.
Stay Sharp, Be Safe
Grady

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #46 on: Jan 30, 2010, 01:03 AM »
Your suppose to have a tow bar if your towing a sled.Atv or sled you need this or they can write you a ticket..It is the law..Now as for the sleds ,they had nothing better to do the weekend of the 24th except to write tickets to the snowmobiler's It was there first poker run on the lake...If the snowmobiler's didn't want them to see there number,s they just wouldn't stop..There is no way any lawman sled on that lake would even keep up with a 600 or above..Wave and pin it,you'll make the poor lawman look like this  :o :o :o

exact reason those numbers and stickers are on the cowl! to even endorse someone to try to run from the law shows your foolish you just went from a ticket to a felony

Offline jstumbaugh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 30, 2010, 08:30 AM »
From DMV FAQ page: http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/DMVfaqs.htm

Does my snowmobile require a registration in New York State?
You must register your snowmobile if you operate the snowmobile in New York State. A registration is not required if the snowmobile is operated on the private property of the owner or private property the owner has a contractual right to use. A snowmobile that is registered in another state and owned by a resident of that state, but is operated in NYS, must get a NYS registration. New York State also requires a registration on trailers.

Snowmobile registration numbers are permanently assigned to the snowmobile when it is first registered. If you have a snowmobile that was first registered before August 1995, you must supply the numbers that attach to your snowmobile. You must display those numbers on each side of the snowmobile cowling or hood. The numbers must be:

made from a reflective material,
block style and 3 inches high or taller,
a color different from the hood and easy to see.
Be sure to include a hyphen or a space between the last number and the capital letters.
Displayed on a vertical plane of the cowling or hood so it is easy to view from either side of the snowmobile.
New snowmobile registrations receive a Registration Decal set. Attach the decals to each side of the cowling or hood. Validation stickers are issued annually. Put the stickers on the upper left-hand corner of the decal. Put the annual validation stickers to the left of the numbers on snowmobiles registered before 1995.

DMV Commissioner's Regulation section 107.11 requires that any registration decal issued on or after December 24, 2008 must be displayed on a vertical plane of the snowmobile's cowling or hood so it is easily viewed from either side of the snowmobile. You can be subject to a $200 fine if you do not display your registration decal in compliance with this regulation.

The registration fee is $45 if you certify on form MV-82SN that you are a member of a NYS Snowmobile Association (NYSSA) club and show proof of membership.  The only acceptable proof of membership is a valid membership voucher issued by the NYSSA, and your certification on form MV-82SN.

If you are not a member of an NYSSA club, the registration fee is $100.

Visit the NYSSA web site for more information about NYSSA clubs.

My snowmobile is a 2002 Polaris. The origional owner put the grey sticker on the tunnel and the yearly sticker is on the corner of that. Does this only mean that any sled first registered after 2008 needs the sticker on the cowl? As it reads I feel that any sled registered previous to 2008 doesnt have to adhear to this. Am I correct?

Offline nessman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 30, 2010, 09:24 AM »
Probably not a good idea to mess with the law.  They're there for a reason - agree with them or not... and in the end the cop will always win.  Compliance is easy and if you get ticketed for registration issues, well ignorance is no defense, nor is laziness. 

Offline TimberKing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 02, 2010, 05:52 AM »
Glad to have you back Brother.
Nothing in life is free unless you are a politician or a Slime Ball Lawyer. It's guys like you and me that pay the price to keep what we have. Some of our Brothers paid the ultimate price in the Sandbox to help us keep it.

A free fishing license is trivial repayment for the your time in the Sanbox. Like I posted before the DEC, NYSP are not anyones friends. I saw a guy get a ticket for pulling his kid out onto the ice in a sled with a freaking rope. He was not going fast. The Trooper on the sled that caught him was certainly moving along.
Maybe the DCE and NYSP should do a year in the sand box.. I can't wait to see what they have to say about my DOD Helmet, I think it's better that the DOT types

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 02, 2010, 07:59 AM »
if you had them on your hood of your sled they would not have to get out of the vehicle to come over and ask you to pleas move your leg for them to see....... Lazy

This is actually a pretty dumb statement. Do you really think the cops are the ones that made up the law? Come on. The law has been this way for years, since they came out with the new stickers. So anyone who hasn't had it in the right place has actually gotten over for a while now.
Put you car registration in your back window or your license plate on your roof and see how long it takes you to get a ticket.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline FishTank19

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Feb 02, 2010, 09:56 AM »
Nobody should be upset for getting cited for their registration numbers in the wrong area.  It explicitly states where to affix the stickers when you get them.  Anybody getting ticketed for non helmet useage?

Well I don't know about anybody else but I hate spending $10000 on a brand new sled and the having to put the big ugly reflective NY state sticker in the middle of my cowl.... They are getting their money either way so as long as the stickers are on there somewhere they need to leave u alone. And as far as being checked from the car everytime I have been checked they have always been out of the car stopping every sled.

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Feb 02, 2010, 06:24 PM »
      fishtank19,
I think the reason for the location of the sticker is so they can see it from a distance. If someone is riding with you and the stickers are down by your feet how can they see it from a ways out??? Not looking for trouble but it just makes sense. The way the state sees it is no-one is forcing you to buy a sled or a fishing license.
Since you did, you agreed by their terms and need to follow them. If you aren't breaking the law then you have nothing to hide. May be a pain now and then but it could be worse........
      Kim :tipup:

Offline jstumbaugh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Feb 03, 2010, 07:34 AM »
Went a got my new stickers yesturday. No charge and the woman at the Catskill DMV was very nice.

Offline FishTank19

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Feb 03, 2010, 10:11 AM »
      fishtank19,
I think the reason for the location of the sticker is so they can see it from a distance. If someone is riding with you and the stickers are down by your feet how can they see it from a ways out??? Not looking for trouble but it just makes sense. The way the state sees it is no-one is forcing you to buy a sled or a fishing license.
Since you did, you agreed by their terms and need to follow them. If you aren't breaking the law then you have nothing to hide. May be a pain now and then but it could be worse........
      Kim :tipup:

I understand it, and I have mine in the right place I am just annoyed that the state has nothing better to do than harass people and as far as the distance thing goes if they have to see me from a distance they aren't catchin me..

Offline WOODY PIKEMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #55 on: Feb 03, 2010, 12:43 PM »
When I spoke to an officer last year on first lake. He told me all I needed to do was take a piece of pvc pipe and run the rope through it.  That way the load you are towing doesn't run in the back of you when you stop quickly. He said if you are towing with just a rope it is an unsafe towing method.  I had an actual hitch on mine.  He just brought up to me that if I didn't have that hitch I he would of been able to give me a ticket.

Offline Pike an Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Dead Sea 04"
« Reply #56 on: Feb 03, 2010, 06:20 PM »
bigest reason for the reg's not being on the tunnel is you can hide them with your feet & legs.

Another word to the wise, Do Not leave your registration paper in your sled. it is your only proof of ownership.
If your sled is stolen, someone can sign it(forgery) and registar it in their name. They are not titled like a car.

Offline bobdboater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Feb 04, 2010, 01:32 PM »
bigest reason for the reg's not being on the tunnel is you can hide them with your feet & legs.

Another word to the wise, Do Not leave your registration paper in your sled. it is your only proof of ownership.
If your sled is stolen, someone can sign it(forgery) and registar it in their name. They are not titled like a car.
Photo copy it and put it in a zip lock bag. They will except it....... I did it on my ATV and when I was stop, which I will not get into an explaination why I was stopped, but he excepted my photo copy. I reallt wasn't doing any thing illegal just I think he wanted to give someone a hard time with two state troopers following him. Gotta admit though the female trooper was cute!!!

:icefish: :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.