New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Attention Ice Fishermen with SNOWMOBILES!!!!  (Read 7248 times)

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Attention Ice Fishermen with SNOWMOBILES!!!!
« on: Jan 24, 2010, 03:48 PM »
My brother-in-law informed me 2 of his friends received $200 tickets for infractions. The DEC is cracking down on where the registration sticker is placed on the snowmobile. Mine is on the side if the sled toward the rear stuck to the metal portion. The STATE wants it on the HOOD legible from a distance. The cost to get the new stickers is $1 dollar. The name on the registration is the only one that can update this. Mine will be updated by the end of the week. Make sute you scrape off the old sticker on each side complete. They won't match the new one. I know it's a pain but do it and you will have one less problem to deal with..............
      Kim :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Attention Ice Fishermen with SNOWMOBILES!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2010, 05:49 PM »
I picked up my new stickers yesterday. NO CHARGE!!! Will be 100% legal this weekend. Read on the Sacandaga Walleyes post that the DEC are waiting at the launches for any infractions. Supposedly 200 tickets written. If that is right then you better br legal all around.............
      Kim :callcops: :callcops: :callcops: :callcops: :nono: :nono: :icefish:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2010, 08:02 AM »
I've heard the same about the tickets except that it is the State Troopers giving out all of the tickets. I believe that they had 6 Troopers up on the Sacandaga last weekend.

Offline TR19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2010, 08:31 AM »
100% TRUE !!
Last year the Saratoga County Sherrif was "nice enough" to give my wife a warning for having the registration sticker on the tunnel instead of on the cowl. He explained that this winter there would be NO WARNINGS and the ticket is the same as not having the sled registered. We went to DMV & got new registration stickers and I think it cost us $1 or $2. Well worth the money & hassle.

Offline fishlakegeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2010, 09:33 AM »
A great source of revenue for thier coffers. It seems to be so trivial, why did'nt the state just inform the public during registration time. They knew everyone was making the mistake and saw an opportunity to make millions (in fines). The person that made the decision for all DEC etc. to issue and fine $200 is obviously not a snowmobilier.  These northern towns depend on the snowmobiliers to keep businesses alive, during an otherwise down time of the year. (for tourism)

Offline slamboney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2010, 09:38 AM »
What a joke. I already paid 150 bucks to register and isnure my $200.00 sled.  I have no problem with law enforcement checking "real" violations but this is just stupid. 

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2010, 09:56 AM »
  Maybe that's why theres a pile of fish carcasses at the William's Beach, some guy who got a ticket...
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline Grady95

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay Sharp, Be Safe
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2010, 09:58 AM »
Hey Piscesman,
You got my attention!  My sleds are both registered and I have new stickers to put on.  Before I do, can you help me a bit and answer a question?  On the sleds there are stickers with numbers.  There are not the small grey stickers the DMV issued when they gave me the registrations, they are larger and they are mounted on the cowl down near my feet, below the rubber straps that hold the cowl down.  They were there when I bought the sleds and I have not done anything to them.  I was told by someone that the grey sticker from DMV should go right on the lower right corner of this sticker.  That is where the previous owners placed the old DMV stickers.  Am I right or wrong to affix the new stickers in the same place?
I don't want to get a ticket, especially since I have gone out of my way to get registrations, insurance and a nice new helmet.  My ownership of the sleds is just to make icefishing better.  I don't speed, ram around when I'm bored or do any of the other things so many people complain about here.  The sled is just a tool to move equipment, but I want to get this right.
Any advice welcome.
Stay Sharp, Be Safe
Grady

Offline FishTank19

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2010, 10:35 AM »
I was wondering when they would start checking ice sleds, they have been giving tickets for sticker placement for years now on the trails...

Offline rikrad1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing RULZ!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2010, 12:10 PM »
Jeez Gotta Love New York. It seems the state police have become revenew enhancers for our corrupt Government instead of real police stopping crime. I noticed they are stopping cars let n right in freezing temps. and I guess the state surcharge for a ticket now is 85 bucks plus. I am going to get out of this state it is getting insanely ridiculous to live here anymore. The state cops sit at sturgeon point and hand out tickets for things like no solid hitch from your ice fishing shelter/sled and they make it sound like the world will end if you ice fish on lake erie. God Bless America I wonder what the future will hold for this state and our country. >:(

Offline machzrcr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2010, 02:11 PM »
 yepp we have been warned a few times out riding the trails for this!    :-\  finnaly moved the stickers  to the cowel

Offline bobdboater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2010, 02:21 PM »
Jeez Gotta Love New York. It seems the state police have become revenew enhancers for our corrupt Government instead of real police stopping crime. I noticed they are stopping cars let n right in freezing temps. and I guess the state surcharge for a ticket now is 85 bucks plus. I am going to get out of this state it is getting insanely ridiculous to live here anymore. The state cops sit at sturgeon point and hand out tickets for things like no solid hitch from your ice fishing shelter/sled and they make it sound like the world will end if you ice fish on lake erie. God Bless America I wonder what the future will hold for this state and our country. >:(

Wait a minute here I just read this and I seen someting I never heard of. Quote " The state cops sit at sturgeon point and hand out tickets for things like no solid hitch from your ice fishing shelter/sled"
Can somebody clarify this for me? Are you saying you can't use a rope to pull your sled out or sleds......???? :wacko: :wacko:

:icefish:
A bad day fishing is better than being at work.

Offline Grady95

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay Sharp, Be Safe
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2010, 02:32 PM »
Regarding sticker/registration placement... I found clear enough information on the NY DMV website to answer this concern.  I will follow what I see there. 
I have no idea what this issue is regarding not towing the sled with a rope.  That's all I've ever done. It's all I have ever known to do.  Am I breaking a law towing the sled with a rope?  If so, where do I turn to find out what I am supposed to be doing?
Stay Sharp, Be Safe
Grady

Offline flipper358

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2010, 02:41 PM »
I was told by friends that you cant tow  with a rope. i will ask them where they found out that info. the cost of the reg., insurance is why i havent used my sled in 3 years now. thinking of selling it.

Offline bobdboater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2010, 02:52 PM »
I think this is a good question to post. I am going to open it for a general discussion.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2010, 03:01 PM »
i hate   hear say but i did hear you were supposed to have a  bar between a sled (atv) and your shanty or sled .... i see  guys  just run the rope threw  a piece of abs ....the  stickers (reg)  has always supposed to be placed on the cowl with the numbers in fact instructions are with the sticker ????

Offline mrscrabs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2010, 04:00 PM »
Also if you check the numbers on the cowl have to be those ugly grey or white reflective numbers have got a ticket before . Had nice painted numbers and had to remove them and put those awful house numbers on there :%$#!: :cookoo:

Offline Shovel74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2010, 04:12 PM »
This is from New York State DMV site concerning ATVs towing the sled:
YOU MAY NEVER OPERATE AN ATV:

Other than while seated on the permanent, regular seat.
With a passenger, unless the ATV is designed to carry a passenger.
At a speed too fast for existing conditions or potential hazards.
In a careless, reckless or negligent manner.
While intoxicated or impaired by alcohol or drugs.
On the tracks or right-of-way of a railroad.
On a highway, if the ATV is equipped with studded tires other than automobile-type studs.
In a tree nursery or planting in a manner which damages or destroys growing stock or creates a substantial risk of damage or destruction.
Within 100 feet of a dwelling between midnight and 6 A.M. at a speed greater than necessary to keep the ATV moving.
While pulling a person on skis, a toboggan, sleigh, sled or trailer, unless the device is attached to the ATV by a tow-bar or other rigid connection.
On the ice or public water within 100 feet of a person, fishing shanty or shelter at a speed greater than necessary to keep the ATV moving.
Over an area cleared of snow for skating, unless necessary for access to public waters.

Offline TimberKing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2010, 04:21 PM »
I guess the state need the money and it's going to cost us. My girl friend was pissed, She just got her fishing license today $29.00. Went up about $10. bucks. I have been getting mine free for the past few years. But I had to go to Iraq and Afghanistan. for the free tags. WOW I guess it really wasn't free

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2010, 04:29 PM »
if you had them on your hood of your sled they would not have to get out of the vehicle to come over and ask you to pleas move your leg for them to see....... Lazy

atleast you guys can keep your fishing licenses in your pockets and not on you hat or vest.  In pa i have seen an officer pull up to a stream when it was cold out in torut season, sit in his vehicle fumble around and picl up the old binocs and glass every bodies license from the vehicle while sipping coffee.

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline biggeorge50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2010, 06:24 PM »
What a bunch of crybabies.  Know the laws and obey them.  Presto - no tickets.  Is that so complicated?

Offline bobdboater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2010, 06:41 PM »
What a bunch of crybabies.  Know the laws and obey them.  Presto - no tickets.  Is that so complicated?
Biggeorge - We aren't crybabies but people expressing our feelings. I agree with the safety of the PVC pipe between the sled or between a sled with a child on it for safety. I agree that the cost to enjoy mother natures best is out right wrong. The cost to enjoy hunting, fishing or what ever is going thru the roof. What is going to happen in the future for our offspring?
I am appologize if we upset you.

Happy fishing my friend

:icefish:

Offline Fishinkidd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2010, 07:14 PM »
True...I saw 2 trooper sleds by Wally's giving guys tickets ....so I sped right past  :P

Offline PerchEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "eyes" have it!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2010, 07:37 PM »
From DMV FAQ page: http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/DMVfaqs.htm

Does my snowmobile require a registration in New York State?
You must register your snowmobile if you operate the snowmobile in New York State. A registration is not required if the snowmobile is operated on the private property of the owner or private property the owner has a contractual right to use. A snowmobile that is registered in another state and owned by a resident of that state, but is operated in NYS, must get a NYS registration. New York State also requires a registration on trailers.

Snowmobile registration numbers are permanently assigned to the snowmobile when it is first registered. If you have a snowmobile that was first registered before August 1995, you must supply the numbers that attach to your snowmobile. You must display those numbers on each side of the snowmobile cowling or hood. The numbers must be:

made from a reflective material,
block style and 3 inches high or taller,
a color different from the hood and easy to see.
Be sure to include a hyphen or a space between the last number and the capital letters.
Displayed on a vertical plane of the cowling or hood so it is easy to view from either side of the snowmobile.
New snowmobile registrations receive a Registration Decal set. Attach the decals to each side of the cowling or hood. Validation stickers are issued annually. Put the stickers on the upper left-hand corner of the decal. Put the annual validation stickers to the left of the numbers on snowmobiles registered before 1995.

DMV Commissioner's Regulation section 107.11 requires that any registration decal issued on or after December 24, 2008 must be displayed on a vertical plane of the snowmobile's cowling or hood so it is easily viewed from either side of the snowmobile. You can be subject to a $200 fine if you do not display your registration decal in compliance with this regulation.

The registration fee is $45 if you certify on form MV-82SN that you are a member of a NYS Snowmobile Association (NYSSA) club and show proof of membership.  The only acceptable proof of membership is a valid membership voucher issued by the NYSSA, and your certification on form MV-82SN.

If you are not a member of an NYSSA club, the registration fee is $100.

Visit the NYSSA web site for more information about NYSSA clubs.

I have a 1996 sled so I have the decal set.
They have two boxes in upper left and upper right corners and I've been alterating between the two when placing the new validation stickers for 14 years.
You telling me I am going to fined $200 for putting them in the upper right corner???

I think yes and is another of a hundred reasons I've grown to hate this state of high taxes, stupid fines, and welfare free-loaders.
The tug is the drug.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2010, 08:31 PM »
Man. A lot of hating on our home state. I love it here. I'm not a snowmobiler so I should probably keep quiet but...It's a friggen sticker man. Put it where they want it.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline PerchEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "eyes" have it!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 27, 2010, 09:28 PM »
...Put it where they want it.

I'd like to put it where it belongs... up the bureaucrat's a$$ that dreams up this crap!
The tug is the drug.

Offline WALLEYES INC.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's twice as nice when there stacked on the ice !
« Reply #26 on: Jan 28, 2010, 05:50 AM »
I think you only need a tow bar if you have a person riding on the sled, shanty because of safety issues.

Offline joefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 28, 2010, 06:07 AM »
OK you are fired up about tickets and registration and tow bars and the like.  Well there is a bill A00868 that has been stuck in transportation for 3 years now that would help your pocketbook.  Bill A00868 ( Non-Trail registration ) Contact your Assy. person and get it pushed Thur as it would be a big help to all of us.  http://assembly.state.NY.us/leg/?by=k&qs=non+trail

Offline fishingPole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 28, 2010, 06:16 AM »
Nobody should be upset for getting cited for their registration numbers in the wrong area.  It explicitly states where to affix the stickers when you get them.  Anybody getting ticketed for non helmet useage?
Leave it better than you found it

Offline water_wolf

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A water_wolf in sheepheads clothing
« Reply #29 on: Jan 28, 2010, 06:26 AM »
I think you only need a tow bar if you have a person riding on the sled, shanty because of safety issues.

Thats the way I read it.
Rich Ferguson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.