New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Jason Mitchell Elite Rods ....  (Read 3920 times)

Offline icefreak55

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 3rd Year Apprentice
Jason Mitchell Elite Rods ....
« on: Feb 17, 2010, 07:14 PM »
So what do those that have them think ?
   ´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º> 

Offline howesfc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Eirinn go Brach"
Re: Jason Mitchell Elite Rods ....
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2010, 09:06 PM »
I have a 24" ML panfish rod and like it beter than my St.Croix Legend rod.

I was a Soldier I am a Soldier I will always be a Soldier

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2010, 02:43 AM »
Bought one of his panfish rods at the show last year. The tip broke 2nd time I used it. Told the rep at the show this year and was ignored.
Won't be buying those products again.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2010, 05:14 AM »
i'm not adverticing  but i ty a  beter  rod!

Offline kchamp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2010, 05:45 AM »
Bought one of his panfish rods at the show last year. The tip broke 2nd time I used it. Told the rep at the show this year and was ignored.

RG
I would call jason himself, I talked to him the other day he is a real nice guy and seems like he will do right by you

Offline elmerross

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Honoeye bullgill; size of a 5 gal pail.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2010, 05:58 AM »
I have his panfish series 24" and that's my go to rod.I used it smelt fishing and could feel the bites of those little fish.I you have any problems with his stuff you can go on line and get his number,and he will take care of you guaranteed.I think that phone number on his web site is his personal cell number.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2010, 07:16 AM »
Your business is only as good as those who you choose to represent you. Service after complaint is worse than no service at all.

I'll tie my own or use my YAD rods. At least I know what to expect.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline kchamp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2010, 07:20 AM »
how are them yad rods? ARe they as good as the st.croix?

Offline Gamma Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2010, 08:26 AM »
how are them yad rods? ARe they as good as the st.croix?
For the money, there's no better rod on the market that YAD ice rods !
  Take a St.Croix, Jason Mitchell, Thorne Bros  ::) ::) and any other supposed high end ice rod and lay it along side of a YAD ice rod !
You'll easily see that the YAD rods are the best value considering they RETAIL for $15.00 or less and were at the Ice Fishing show for $10.00 each !
   The IRG is the Glass series and the IRC is the Carbon Graphite series.  They make enough different models to suit most fishermens needs.
I did the  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) when I saw many people walking around the ice fishing show with rods from the above named companies that cost $40.00 to $70.00  :o :o :o :o   I'm sure those people are catching so many more fish that the guy with the bucket full of HT Ice Blues  ::) ::) ;D
  Symbolism over substance  ::) ::)
PLASTICS ARE FANTASTIC  !!

Offline gitthegaff

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Fish on"
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2010, 09:33 AM »
Have the "MeatStick" it an incredible rod for panfish. It broke , I called Jason he said to send it back and he would replace it. Should be hear today or tomarrow. Great customer service !
Paul

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2010, 10:04 AM »
Gamma has seen the light. I picked up 4 - IRC 24 at the show for $7.99 each. My collection has grown to more than 20 now.

RG

Offline howesfc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Eirinn go Brach"
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2010, 05:39 PM »
Gamma has seen the light. I picked up 4 - IRC 24 at the show for $7.99 each. My collection has grown to more than 20 now.

RG

$8.00 x 20 = $160.00 Thats alot more then I paid for my St.Croix & Jason Mitchell rods ? :o

I was a Soldier I am a Soldier I will always be a Soldier

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2010, 05:54 PM »
Yeah, I do have a lifetime supply, don't I ;D
RG

Offline rikrad1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing RULZ!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2010, 06:14 PM »
I have the mackinaw for steelhead and pike etc. Have not caught a fish on it yet but it is a well made rod. I have an HT rod for pike and that is just as good as the JSM rod. I have yet to break an ice rod on a fish I always break them in the truck or at home somehow. I did break an 8 wt. pfluegar fly rod on a steelhead a few years ago at chautauqua creek in westfield SOL on replacing that,and a helios 8 wt in oak orchard on a king. Called orvis had a new one the next week though I did have to pay 80 bucks to replace a st. croix rod a few years ago that cost me 300 so i do not buy st. croix anymore.

Offline icefreak55

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 3rd Year Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: Feb 18, 2010, 06:41 PM »
YAD rods........  ?  Who ...what ...when and where ...... Linky please

Offline Gamma Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2010, 06:48 PM »

RG
Pardon my mistake !     I thought they were $10.00 each but I had so many numbers flashing in front of my eyes that I just may have been a little confused  :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: ;D
  These rods cost in the vicinity of $3.00 each (or less) to be manufactured in China !     YAD sells their product with a FAIR mark up whereas companies like Jason Mitchell, St.Croix and others put their names on basically the same rods and yank your wallet out of your pocket.......after they lead you to believe that you'll catch more and bigger fish with their products  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
  If you want to be in the "Clique", buy their rods for a rediculous amount of money  ::)  If you're not trying to impress anyone and you don't care what people think, buy YAD rods !  

Before you start bashing, lay the rods side by side, take a close look, try them and then ask yourself why you need a $30.00 to $60.00 ice rod with a popular name on it when you can buy a YAD which was probably made in the same place, using the same components for  $8.00  
PLASTICS ARE FANTASTIC  !!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Feb 18, 2010, 06:49 PM »
Yad rods are where you find them. It's a competitive search...they're not made any more.

RG

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Feb 18, 2010, 06:51 PM »
Yad rods were originally manufactured in Australia. They may have ended up in China (like most fishing rods).

RG

Offline jd110tlb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 18, 2010, 06:52 PM »
I got 2 yad rods off eBay this year. first time out the tip broke off one one the first fish a small perch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 18, 2010, 06:58 PM »
Consistent with RG's comment about the tip breaking off, I know 2 others that this has happened too. 

Hey Bob................... Wanna sell a couple of those Yad's??? ;D
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline icefreak55

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 3rd Year Apprentice
« Reply #20 on: Feb 18, 2010, 07:57 PM »

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 18, 2010, 08:05 PM »
I have a Jason Mitchell 20" with built in spring bobber, can't say enough about it. My go to rod for perch.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline macmilr

• IceShanty Rookie
  • that which does not kill us makes us stronger.
« Reply #22 on: Feb 18, 2010, 10:18 PM »
i have a ul spring bobber rod and love it.i've caught several nice bass on it and lots of panfish.i know i'm tough on rods they ride in the truck from first ice to last. :)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Feb 19, 2010, 01:21 AM »
Is this them ?

http://www.yad-fishing.com.au/lures.shtml

Yes. They still make long rods and fly rods , I think.

So the tip broke on your yad rod? you're out what....$7 - 8? I'm out $40 for the upscale rod.

I have a whole bunch of ice rods. HT's, Browning, Yad, Mitchell, No Name, Home made,Ugly Stick and some I don't remember. I use most of them at one time or another. My rod case has a Yad Irc 24, Irg 24 and and HT light. That's always in my trap.

It doesn't matter what you buy. If it feels right, get it....use it.

RG

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Feb 19, 2010, 06:54 AM »
Your business is only as good as those who you choose to represent you. Service after complaint is worse than no service at all.

I'll tie my own or use my YAD rods. At least I know what to expect.

RG
what can I say [YAD] they take a pounding and you won't whine,[ if you can break one]

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 19, 2010, 07:30 AM »

RG

Someone on the 307 boards broke the tip of their mitchell rod while perch fishing, he called Jason and it was replaced no questions asked (even without a reciept or having sent in warranty card).  Sounds like VERY GOOD customer service too me. 

I have a couple of their lake trout rods, they are GREAT.
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 19, 2010, 07:38 AM »
I like the St Croix's better but thats just me to each his own.I have 6 of them.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Feb 19, 2010, 06:08 PM »
what can I say [YAD] they take a pounding and you won't whine,[ if you can break one]
They are like the old Tiimex..."Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin' "

Don't take me wrong. I'm a frugal guy. I like things that suit my purpose and have value.

Buy the expensive rods....lots of them....it's good for the economy ;D

RG

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #28 on: Feb 19, 2010, 06:22 PM »
well i traded a bucket of bluegill for my go to rod had it for about 10 yrs and forgot how many times ive glued the tip back on
guy by the name of trapper made it ...wish i could get that cat to make me more of these rods

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.