New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: White Perch  (Read 7544 times)

Offline fishhead4268

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LOVE THEM SLABS!!!!!!!
White Perch
« on: Dec 31, 2009, 07:56 PM »
Im lookin to find some white perch thru the ice, I know Onieda has them but am not familiar with fishing there except for big bay. Any help would be great, much appreciated..
I FISH, THEREFORE I AM, IN SEARCH OF THE HEDI MOGIN !!!!HAVE ROD WILL TRAVEL!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/Fishhead4268/IceShanty_Banner21.png

Offline Shienar

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EVERYONE GET BENT
Re: White Perch
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2009, 07:59 PM »
have you used the search option
i was looking through some of the archives and old post about a week ago
about white perch and there's a bit of information around
i cant remember if there many locations  mentioned or not though
but worth is taking a look :)

most of the info i can find says 50 to 60ft of water or if there's no water of that depth
then look for the deepest water available

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2009, 08:34 PM »

most of the info i can find says 50 to 60ft of water or if there's no water of that depth
then look for the deepest water available

Back in the day we seemed to find them roughly at the 26' depth no matter what the water depth was. Not sure what "bait" was suspended at that depth but that was always the depth to target. They typically hit mousies/spikes though. Good luck-cya....

Offline kchamp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2010, 12:13 AM »
try the drop on the north shore them dam things are all over and nasty, love worms

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2010, 05:56 AM »
try the drop on the north shore them dam things are all over and nasty, love worms

Second that, their fins are spiny and sharpest of any fish. Very few people ever eat them, but there is a small market for them I guess. Most places where they are, the schools run small but you could find better schools if you worked at it. Occassionally you would find a White Bass (has three lateral stripes rather than the White perch's one) mixed in. A difference between the two but most people just called them all Silver Bass.  Cya.....

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2010, 07:19 AM »
Apparently they are supposed to be very good eating, and are actually preferred over yellow perch in some places!
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline kchamp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2010, 07:24 AM »
 ;D no way

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2010, 07:28 AM »
Yes way!!!! Even sweeter though the ice.
Tight Lines,
Allan Butler
Light Lines Guiding

Offline Double-L

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2010, 07:32 AM »
    They should be chasing the bait fish......In my favorite perch lake,(this time of year) I usually focus my efforts in 25 to 40 FOW.....Sometimes ,hard to find school / But when you do, it is very rewarding!....Try fishing spoons tipped w/ cut bait or fish eye.  ;)Hope this helps???.......LL
"CATCH & RELEASE" --- For another day!

Offline cnypanfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2010, 07:33 AM »
We got some white perch through the ice in Sandy pond last year. They were more out towards the middle, the bigger perch were mixed in with them. There are white perch in Oneida as well, but I don't know anyone who targets them. When my girlfriends mom was alive I kept the smaller ones I caught as she loved them. I personally wouldn't feed them to a cat.

cny

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2010, 08:00 AM »
Apparently they are supposed to be very good eating, and are actually preferred over yellow perch in some places!

In some communities that is true, although for the life of me I don't know why!!!!   Cya....

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2010, 08:20 AM »
I've heard the same thing ... although everybody that tells me otherswise has never tried them.  Same people that told me white crappie aren't as good as the black ...until I tried it for myself.  I think they taste identical to black crappie.  Therefore I'm willing to try some white perch to find out for myself.

Champlain seems to have plenty of them (white perch).

Offline kchamp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2010, 09:02 AM »
I have tried them and if you like Strong fish taste they are your fish

Offline sunshine

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2010, 09:27 AM »
If you like eating bass you will like white perch. They make great garden fertilizer.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2010, 10:38 AM »
Maybe its the water they were coming out of, but all the white perch that I have had were very white fleshed, not fishy or strong at all. I like yellows and happily eat them, the white perch at I have eaten had almost the same taste but just a little sweeter...
Allan

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2010, 10:55 AM »
They're fun to catch for sure. I-Bay has a healthy population. I'm sure if you caught enough, 9-Lives would buy them...they taste like cat food no matter what you do to them.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline AKA Kodiak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2010, 11:33 AM »
Tried 2 last year,was told they were sweeter,not, maybe not to my taste buds.They tasted very strong not sweet cooked them with the perch i caught.To me they had a strong oily taste like catfish.Maybe you have to marinate them in gasoline!

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #17 on: Jan 01, 2010, 12:33 PM »
We got some white perch through the ice in Sandy pond last year. They were more out towards the middle, the bigger perch were mixed in with them. There are white perch in Oneida as well, but I don't know anyone who targets them. When my girlfriends mom was alive I kept the smaller ones I caught as she loved them. I personally wouldn't feed them to a cat.

cny
you r killin me ole man...that is funny stuff...give them to the momnlaw but not to a cat :roflmao:  :woot:

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Jan 01, 2010, 01:09 PM »
like the rock bass  white perch get a  bad rep if  you remove  the  dark meat  there  actually very good not to mention  fight well. i like eatting them and love  catching them ,  if you never tried them  you don't know what you missing.

Offline hawkeyejr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have ice will fish it,flagup,and catch a BIG one
« Reply #19 on: Jan 01, 2010, 01:32 PM »
chat. lake has a good population of them also
have ice will travel catch a big one

Offline AKA Kodiak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 01, 2010, 02:37 PM »
Hey Trapper,the darker flesh on the skinside after you fillet them!I know they put eating limits on these fish wonder if the dark meat contains alot of contaniments making them taste bad.

Offline fishfearme

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 01, 2010, 02:53 PM »
Im lookin to find some white perch thru the ice, I know Onieda has them but am not familiar with fishing there except for big bay. Any help would be great, much appreciated..

i used to catch them often at edge water next to sylvan beach 20' +-

Offline southpondvh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 01, 2010, 03:21 PM »
there is a between differance  white perch and silver bass . can anyone tell me whatim looking for in white perch and then silver bass?

Offline reich607

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 01, 2010, 04:22 PM »
I must say that I like the taste of them! Caught a bunch in Lake Champlain and had a fish fry.  Everyone that tried them liked how they tasted.

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 01, 2010, 04:29 PM »
there is a between differance  white perch and silver bass . can anyone tell me whatim looking for in white perch and then silver bass?

I basically explained it in my earlier Post but here goes. Silver bass is what everyone calls both white perch and white bass. White perch have only one lateral stripe whereas the White Bass have multiple lateral stripes. Some say the White Bass are better eating. Cya...

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Jan 01, 2010, 04:44 PM »
White (silver) bass

White Perch

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline S and K fishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 01, 2010, 04:49 PM »
We catch whites on Champlain in about 30 feet. I always clean and eat mine everyone loves them most of the time they don't know the difference between them and yellows.
Sean

Offline southpondvh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 01, 2010, 06:39 PM »
rgfixit thank you .ididknow the differance. but i have heated debates with people about this.. i have caught a few white perch in south pond . mixed in with a few silver bass . the white perch do taste better .

Offline fishhead4268

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LOVE THEM SLABS!!!!!!!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 02, 2010, 02:58 PM »
Love hearing all this, I have caught a few on the pond and in spring when the crappie run in shallow I have done a few. I dont eat anything that doesnt come out of the water in late spring thru fall, mushy and taste bad but winter fillets and early spring slabs are good eats.  I guess I will have to take a day or 2 and travel to find some so I can try them in winter.  We used to catch alot in summer in CT but I have only caught a few in the last 15 years livin up here.  Onieda seems the place I hear about alot, will get out a map and plan a run and gun trip for them.  Maybe can find some eyes over there while im at it.  Thanks to all for the info, I will keep checkin this post to see. 

The biggest white I have done on the pond, the others where dinks.

If I could get into a buch of fish like this somewhere close to home my daughter and I would have a blast, they are good fighting fish on UL tackle

Hey RG, looks to me I may have a white bass there after lookin at the pics u posted, what do you think?
I FISH, THEREFORE I AM, IN SEARCH OF THE HEDI MOGIN !!!!HAVE ROD WILL TRAVEL!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/Fishhead4268/IceShanty_Banner21.png

Offline shantysitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 02, 2010, 03:40 PM »
Some people think carp are good eating but you couldn't pay me to eat one. Seagulls don't even like them

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.