Author Topic: CLAM PRO HITCH  (Read 4494 times)

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
CLAM PRO HITCH
« on: Dec 19, 2017, 04:35 PM »
Clam has a new pro hitch out.  I have the older style still in the box I was thinking about selling if the reviews on the new one are decent.  Anyone have any experience with them?
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway."

Offline hairbone

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: CLAM PRO HITCH
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2017, 08:27 PM »
Bought a pro hitch last year and love it.  Easy on and off

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2017, 08:32 PM »
Thanks.  The only review I could find for it was a negative one.  It looks nice.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2017, 01:30 AM »
what house do you plan to put it on. With some houses it is better to use the regular hitch you have now and the larger houses are where you would want the pro hitch. I have the regular hitch on my Nanook Thermal and my Kenai Pro Stealth and I put a Pro Hitch on my Ice Team 20th Anniversary Voyager.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2017, 08:24 AM »
Why would you need different hitches? I have 2 shacks.  A single and a double. Be great if I could use one hitch and just switch out shacks depending on what I wanted to do.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2017, 05:57 PM »
Why would you need different hitches? I have 2 shacks.  A single and a double. Be great if I could use one hitch and just switch out shacks depending on what I wanted to do.

you don't need a heavy duty hitch like the Pro hitch to pull a one man house. the pro hitch was designed more for use with houses like the Yukon, Tundra, Warrior,  Runner Thermal, Voyager, X200, X300, X400, & Jason Mitchell thermal. you can use a pro hitch on the smaller lighter houses but it is kind of over kill if you ask me. either will work it is more of a personal preference thing. you can get extra mounting kits for both style of hitches so you can move it from one house to another house.

here are the mounting kits :

for the hitch you have now :

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/clam/accessories/towing/hitch-mount-kit.html

extra mounting kit for the Pro Hitch :

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/pro-series-hitch-mounting-kit.html

hitches them self :

this is the one you have now :

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/clam/accessories/towing/universal-tow-hitch.html

this is the Pro Hitch :

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/clam/accessories/towing/pro-series-tow-hitch.html
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2017, 07:44 PM »
I know you can get extra mounting kits for the old style but I kinda like the easy on, easy off.  I have a 2 man and a 1 man clam. I guess I don't need it. Just looking for convenience.  I also don't want to drill into my tub and be unhappy with it later. Still got some thinking to do I guess.  Thanks guys.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2017, 09:22 PM »
I picked up a Pro hitch for my 20th Anniversary Legend, and also an additional hitch mount to mount on my large sled. Also drilled out mounting holes in my Kenai Pro Stealth so I can easily swap the other mount from one to another if I need to.  :tipup:

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2018, 08:01 PM »
Clam has a new pro hitch out.  I have the older style still in the box I was thinking about selling if the reviews on the new one are decent.  Anyone have any experience with them?

The most compelling reason for switching to the pro hitch is because it provides more clearance for a tighter turning radius.  I have the older "twin arm" style Clam towing bar and my ATV will turn tight enough that the rear tire can contact the inside arm when making a tight turn.  I have scratched up the paint and the tire chains gouged into the tubing a bit.

The single arm of the "pro" model will be further from the tire in a turn and will allow a tighter turn without damaging the tow bar.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline klbeeks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2018, 04:26 PM »
I actually made my own pro hitch. I have about 10 bucks in it.  Haven't had to chance to use it yet.  But  looks like it will work great.
Fish On'

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.