The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Gull lake 2017/2018  (Read 30219 times)

Offline GpaPerchEye

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Gull lake 2017/2018
« Reply #30 on: Dec 28, 2017, 09:48 AM »
That IS good news. Thank you, Iced D !
Anyone know how the smelt population looks this year ? Hopefully there wasn't another die off.

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 28, 2017, 02:19 PM »
Awesome   :thumbsup: :clap:with these's temperatures MAYBE north end will be good by next weekend.

Offline tip ups

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • never enough!!
« Reply #32 on: Dec 28, 2017, 06:28 PM »
same all locked up from the park off M43
Maken time to dip your line. Flag up!!

Offline moose49017

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Let's go fishing
« Reply #33 on: Dec 29, 2017, 07:50 AM »
Awesome!

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #34 on: Dec 29, 2017, 08:02 AM »
some one is on the cam. top right corner.
was all wet yesterday. i think the snow maybe covering it now. looked like at least 7 inches of snow on the dock that had foot prints. you can kind of still see the dark areas of snow. that's where it was all wet.
be careful if you go there.

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 29, 2017, 08:56 PM »
It won't be long.  I still have concerns  about the smelt die off 2 years ago. Last year with hardly any ice, I'm sure helped . But I'm sure it will need more then one year. The DNR keeps planting predators.  Only time will tell

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 29, 2017, 08:57 PM »
Hey everyone, here is my 1st. report for this year . Checked Baseline rd. today, about 1 1/2 " Good hard ice. North end 1" super clear hard ice. Lots of snow & more coming tonight & tomorrow. Heard a rumor of guys fishing 2nd. bay last night. I will drive out tomorrow & see if any tracks are out there & will try & check the ice. This past summer , Gull gave up some nice Lakers to me & Smelt jr. (he caught around 20). I had 5. The Pike & Bass fishery was outstanding, using big lake tactics. Very few smelt in the stomachs of fish we caught & very few clouds of baitfish marked on our graphs. Hoping that the past 2 winters lack of fishing opportunities for smelt will help the fishery this year, but I am very skeptical. Hoping that we can fish the north 1/2 of the lake next week-end.  I will be checking the lake, every chance that I get. Still trying to shank 1 more deer, before the ice is good enough. I will tell ya this, the earliest I have ever been able to stand on ice on the north end was Jan 7th., so right now things are lookin pretty good.  BTW, we seen 2 guys out in the middle of the lake today on the ice a few hundred yds. south of the "Hogsback".  Not gonna say anything about their sanity, but  ?????????????????????????????
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline GpaPerchEye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Dec 30, 2017, 05:54 AM »
Great to hear from you, SB. Let's hope the lake effect snow machine slows down and doesn't impede further ice formation. That is the case in my home area, with abt 18 inches in the last week with more to come

Offline wittyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 30, 2017, 02:22 PM »
I hear the Bible area talked about on Gull.  I assume it's on the East side of the lake, where does on park of heading over there? 
FTWGA

Offline steelheader32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 30, 2017, 03:26 PM »
Fished the pike tourney today, my buddy huntercam took the #1 spot with a 29” pike, ice was ok but the wind was brutal!

Offline Kziceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 30, 2017, 04:38 PM »
I hear the Bible area talked about on Gull.  I assume it's on the East side of the lake, where does on park of heading over there?

You are correct the BC is on the East side of the lake, just follow the signs.

I have not fished there in a couple of years but there used to be parking marked for ice fisherman in the Bible Conference.

Parking is about 100 yard walk to the lake on the road through the Bible Conference.

KZ

My bait always catches fish...or dies trying.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 30, 2017, 07:12 PM »
Didn't make it out to the lake today ,but I will tomorrow. Also, for all of you wondering about parking..... I will have some info on different places around the lake where you can park. Just give me a day or 2. Also, if anyone has a pic or a map of the lake that they can post, that shows where the south end, 2nd. bay ,Baseline  rd. ,The Bible Conference & the North end is, it may help eliminate a lot of unneeded questions, on here . Thanks,     Phil
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline huntermancam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Dec 30, 2017, 07:46 PM »
Fished the pike tourney today, my buddy huntercam took the #1 spot with a 29” pike, ice was ok but the wind was brutal!
wind was definitely brutal! Thank you steelheader32 for going with me I wouldn't have been able to do it without you!

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 31, 2017, 02:13 PM »
Ice conditions at Baseline rd. are  about the same as they were on Fri. , same for the north end. The snow is NOT helping, but I am thinking/ hoping, that most of the lake will be fishable by next week-end. Seen a guy out off Ross twp. park fishing today .  PARKING OPTIONS :  South end ,limited to a about 10 spots across from the party store. 2nd. bay, I am assuming that we can still park at the salon on the west shore. It also looks like at least a couple of folks fished out there last night. DO NOT PARK IN YARDS ALONG THE ROAD ! The Bible Conference on the east side of the lake ; They are allowing fishermen to park in the parking lot at the Tabernacle ,Kitty corner from the main big building. Baseline rd., Park east of East Gull lake drive & walk about 2 blocks to the lake. You can drive down & drop your gear at the lakeshore. The north end. Prarieville park is a very popular spot when the entire lake is fishable. I believe that the daily fee  is 5 bucks & a season pass is 85 bucks. Please be respectful & QUIET of the people that live near these access areas. The private ones could be shut down in the blink of an eye & make it almost impossible to fish a large part of the lake.  Also, you can Google map the lake & find most of these spots. There are no bait shops close to Gull, but the party store at the south end does sell limited ice fishing bait (waxies, spikes, etc).

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #44 on: Dec 31, 2017, 04:00 PM »
Thanks for the excellent reports SB...love the details.  :thumbsup:
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline copcar340

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 02, 2018, 04:39 PM »
Why is no one posting much on this thread, it is usually one of the most popular. You would think with all this cold weather this lake would be rockin and ready to go. What's the latest report?

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #46 on: Jan 02, 2018, 05:34 PM »
Why is no one posting much on this thread, it is usually one of the most popular. You would think with all this cold weather this lake would be rockin and ready to go. What's the latest report?

Did you not read the 2nd post above yours? SB put it out there for all to read. ::)

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 02, 2018, 05:59 PM »
4 parties fished 2nd. bay last night. I had 1 report of a couple of bites , & a few clouds of fish being marked. . There is about 4" of ice there. That is what I was told. I am planning on fishing Thurs. night, just not sure where. Gonna see if Smelt jr. can check the north end on Wed ., Also had a report that there was only about 2" of ice at the Bible Conf. ,keep in mind, this is what I am being told, I will try & verify this stuff, ASAP. Right now I'm busy cutting up the last 2 deer of the year.   

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 02, 2018, 06:37 PM »
Thanks for the updated report Smeltbuster. I hope one of those deer are yours, I know you wanted one more for the freezer. Still not sounding to promising for the smelt fishing  :'(. Might have to start going back to Higgins.

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 03, 2018, 08:50 AM »
Thanks for the recon work SmeltBuster!
Follow GorbyGear on FB and Instagram

Offline moose49017

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Let's go fishing
« Reply #50 on: Jan 03, 2018, 12:10 PM »
Ok,
Two days ago there were 7 shanties in the first bay and 3 in the second bay. A smattering of fisherman too.
Yesterday afternoon a guy was going out on the second bay as we drove by. He said he'd heard there was 2.5" ice but hadn't been out yet.
There was 1 shanty and two fisherman in the Bible Conference but I didn't check the ice.
I stopped at baseline and there was a little open water at the edge and tracks out about 20'.
Stopped at the North end walked out about 30 yds angling to the right away from the open water caused by the creek and spudded. Estimate 2" maybe 2 1/2" of good solid ice.
Heard a rumor from a buddy that a few smelt have been caught in the south end already.
That's what I know.
The picture is from Baseline

Offline TheGeneral

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 03, 2018, 02:54 PM »
Any more new news guys? 

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Jan 03, 2018, 05:25 PM »
Moose49017 , I think those are my tracks ! Also, WELCOME  to The "SHANTY " . Looks like we both have the same Zip Code , have a mutual friend in "Lookinfopike " & memories of the good ole days of Gull lake smelt ! Hope to see ya out there , soon !     Phil

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
« Reply #53 on: Jan 03, 2018, 05:46 PM »
I've fished the conference a couple times. 3 inches give or take. Panfish have yet to move in as of yesterday. So we decided to try for gills on 1st bay. Lots of dinks as usual. Bite was very slow. 4-5 inches. Didn't make it out to second bay but I imagine 4-5  inches 100 yards ok into second bay then 3-4 out into main lake. Did watch someone pull a laker there yesterday. Tight lines my friends.
gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Jan 03, 2018, 06:12 PM »
Update: 7:00 p.m. , Wed nite, Smelt jr. just called & said there is 3 vehicles in the parking lot  on the north end, & he said 1 shanty out in approx. 60' of water. they went out to the right & then hooked back to the left ( in front of the creek ) .  He said he seen no shanties on 2nd. bay.  Hey Steve, THANK YOU for the report on the Bible Conf. , appreciate the info  ;).

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 03, 2018, 07:34 PM »
Thanks guy's for updates, trying to decide if I'm going to brave the negative temperatures at night this weekend  :o. Am surprised that nobody was on 2nd bay, but guy's on the north end ???

Offline moose49017

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Let's go fishing
« Reply #56 on: Jan 04, 2018, 08:54 AM »
Thanks for the welcome Phil.
Ya the old days and bicycle wheels!

Offline theripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 05, 2018, 06:10 PM »
Anyone going out tonight for some smelt?

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 05, 2018, 07:29 PM »
Down on Gull right now.  Not good. 4 inches of ice. Bite nonexistent.  Not marking hardly anything.  All kinds of plankton. No smelt to eat them. I don't ever remember it this bad.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #59 on: Jan 05, 2018, 07:53 PM »
Down on Gull right now.  Not good. 4 inches of ice. Bite nonexistent.  Not marking hardly anything.  All kinds of plankton. No smelt to eat them. I don't ever remember it this bad.

Could it possibly be that the smelt die off I heard about is true?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.