Author Topic: access to stumpfield closed for some reason  (Read 2282 times)

Offline nhpikeking

• Team IceShanty Addict
access to stumpfield closed for some reason
« on: Feb 04, 2010, 03:19 PM »
i got up nice and early loaded up and headed towards stumpfield and when i drove down the road the gate was closed and locked for some reason and its a damn far walk to my spot so i went to a nearby pond i fish sometimes in the summer and ended up catching tons of fish mostly pickeral including a 24 incher dad got a few nice bass and a couple mammoth perch were also caught by both of us i wish i knew why stumpy was closed up tho

catch pike like its my job

Offline KissMyBassNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • KissMyTroutNH ?
Re: access to stumpfield closed for some reason
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2010, 06:45 PM »
pike king you ever try the flood canal? theres some big bass over there but alot of big pickeral to , gotta pick therw the pickeral for the bass. its really shallow for the first half of it then it starts to drop, the hole section is like 4 ft and weedy as hell but the bass are still in that muck

Catch A Buzz

Offline nhpikeking

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2010, 11:00 PM »
if thats the one at the south end of stumpy thats were i was today called drew lake i think.very weedy and shallow but loaded with fish i'll have to post the picture of the one perch i caught out of there it was a monster almost as big around as it was long,i wonder how much it drops off there,because i heard theres crappie sumwhere in that whole situation

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2010, 06:58 AM »
I do know the army corps of engineers shut the place down to snowmobiles.  Wasn't aware they had closed the barway...maybe some sledders were trailering to the turnaround and unloading there.  Have seen a few people fishing in front of the canoe launch...but nobody has been out where pikeking and xp600 were fishing a few weeks ago.

Offline xp600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2010, 07:30 AM »
Does anybody know of another way to access stumpfield other than the barred stumpfield rd access?  My son is in the boy scouts and in March there is an ice fishing outing.  The past couple years they went to Turree Pond in Bow and never did well.  After my last outing on stumpie I told the pack leader we should go there, its close by, parking should be fine, a bit of a walk but the scouts would like that, and the fishing is good.  Now the road is closed.

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2010, 07:43 AM »
There are a couple ways xp.  There is very limited access across 202....there is a small trail that goes downhill to the south side of the bridge.  There is elm brook...you can park several cars at the barway going into the park and hump down to the ice.  You could also go down the same road you have been going down, park along the road in front of the barway and head down to the boat ramp.

You could also stop into the Army Corps of Engineers office building on the other side of the Hop/Ev dam and let them know you are having a boy scout outing there, and they may open the barway for you guys for the day.

Offline xp600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2010, 08:15 AM »
There are a couple ways xp.  There is very limited access across 202....there is a small trail that goes downhill to the south side of the bridge.  There is elm brook...you can park several cars at the barway going into the park and hump down to the ice.  You could also go down the same road you have been going down, park along the road in front of the barway and head down to the boat ramp.

You could also stop into the Army Corps of Engineers office building on the other side of the Hop/Ev dam and let them know you are having a boy scout outing there, and they may open the barway for you guys for the day.

Excellent!  Thanks for the info.

Offline KissMyBassNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • KissMyTroutNH ?
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2010, 06:00 PM »
if thats the one at the south end of stumpy thats were i was today called drew lake i think.very weedy and shallow but loaded with fish i'll have to post the picture of the one perch i caught out of there it was a monster almost as big around as it was long,i wonder how much it drops off there,because i heard theres crappie sumwhere in that whole situation

yes there are also crappie in there, ive only caught them in the summer and useually after the right turn the canal makes where it drops off deeper

Catch A Buzz

Offline xp600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2010, 12:47 PM »
I called the Army Corp of Engineers office.  The bar way was closed because of the rain we had a few weeks ago which caused the water level to rise and therefore potentially made the ice unsafe.  They plan on reopening soon, depending on weather conditions and water levels.

So the Boy Scout Ice Fishing outing is on in March!  If the road is closed then plan B is Drew Lake just a few minutes away.

Did you know that motorized vehicles on those bodies of water are prohibited?  No snowmobiles, ATVs, cars or trucks.

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2010, 01:07 PM »
Did you know that motorized vehicles on those bodies of water are prohibited?  No snowmobiles, ATVs, cars or trucks.

Yeah, there is a law on the books that says vehicles can't run the ice on federal waterbodies.  They shut the snowmobile trail down that used to run over it.  I guess they decided to enforce it this year.  I ride and live real close, so it sucks....but the fishing will be much better, as the trail used to go over several of the hotspots on that pond.

Offline nhpikeking

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2010, 01:11 PM »
thanks for the info xp ive been fishing drew myself very fun im gonna try getting in on the south side of the bridge soon i saw a snowmobiler out there early this year did not know that rule

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2010, 01:17 PM »
thanks for the info xp ive fishing drew myself very fun im gonna try getting in on the south side of the bridge soon i saw a snowmobiler out there early this year did not know that rule

Yeah, those snowmobilers are now breaking the law...and F&G is patrolling looking for them.

Have you ever caught anything "big" out of Drew??  I live literally a mile from there as a crow flies, and have only fished it once in the summer.  A few small bass and dink pickerel, and that was it.

Offline nhpikeking

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2010, 01:24 PM »
well last time out we caught a few 20inch+ pickeral a 20 inch bass i ddnt weight it a few huge perch a crappie and a hornpout its an interesting backup to stumpy have you fished lake josylvia(clement) this year ?

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2010, 01:54 PM »
Yeah, I've hit it a few times and the crappie are hiding!!!  I've hit all the "known" crappie spots, ranging from 20-50' FOW, and just can't locate them.  I've given up on them, and started fishing the shallows, and have been nailing some nice bass.

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2010, 07:32 PM »
well last time out we caught a few 20inch+ pickeral a 20 inch bass i ddnt weight it a few huge perch a crappie and a hornpout its an interesting backup to stumpy have you fished lake josylvia(clement) this year ?
i have heard of a smallish pond that is just southwest of granite. my bud tells me it is an indian name, begins with an "s". older guy out on granite told my boy his shanty is there and he was catching pike. any info? thanks.

Offline nhpikeking

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2010, 07:46 PM »
that would be skatutakee its actually pretty big over 200 acres never really fished it that much

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2010, 06:37 AM »
thanks, old timer told my buddy, he does well there, i have to see for myself

Offline Electric Smelt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2010, 09:59 AM »
Just stopped at Stumpfield today to see if I could get down the road and take my boys fishing this weekend. Gate is still locked closed.

Offline xp600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2010, 02:15 PM »
Thanks for the update.  I hope you didn't cancel your trip because of that.  You can still park off to the side, well at least we did and we didn't have a problem.   A bit of a walk but...

Offline Scout 24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2010, 01:47 PM »
xp600, My son is also in the Bow cub scouts and plans on fishing the Derby. Turee has been dead lately, I fished it Wed for a few 'gills and perch but not a single crappie. Turtletown would be a good alternative also, it was good enough for Dave Genz last year. By chance you didn't tour the Derry Fire Station with the scouts a few weeks ago?

Offline xp600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2010, 06:31 PM »
Hey there Mr Fortier.   ;D  How did your crappie trip go with Randy?

As for stumpfield, Steve from the Army corp of Engineer called me back late Friday afternoon.  They will not be reopening the bar way on Stumpfield Marsh anytime soon, he didnt say why.  He recommended Drew Lake, just a few minutes away.  I've never fished it.  Tomorrow I'm going to Turtletown in the morning.  If the fishing is decent, then I'll tell the pack leader about Turtletown.  At least I know the parking is ok at Turtletown.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.