Author Topic: stren low-vis clear  (Read 1385 times)

Offline d4ng3r3ux

• Team IceShanty Regular
stren low-vis clear
« on: Feb 09, 2012, 05:48 PM »
Got this fishing line brand new, put it on the reel and it all came tangle up,  could it be that it sat in the store for years?

Offline steven girard

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: stren low-vis clear
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2012, 12:27 AM »
Look like mounted the wrong side from the spoon or to mutch memory(for the size of your reel) or to mutch time at the store! For the size of your reel..i think 6lbs max should be ok!
I was going to break a world record when the clock rang.....

Offline smontague

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag up, ass down
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2012, 11:38 AM »
I use a braided line, and tip it with 18-24 inches of flourocarbon line. I hate monofilament lines.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2012, 11:47 AM »
look wound wrong to me too.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2012, 10:54 PM »
That's 14 lb test mono!!!  Wow.....that's huge.  That's the reason that it is so unmanageable.  Especially on such a small spinning reel.  14 lb test mono is ok with a baitcaster or maybe a very big spinning reel. You should use much smaller mono.  When you use 14 lb mono, that means that you are going to pull a 10 lb bag of potatoes off the ground with your rod.  Not many rods can lift a 10 lb bag of potatoes off the ground without breaking.  The maximum size of mono that I use is 6 lb test.

There was a time when I used 14 to 20 lb test mono for deep saltwater fishing for cod and halibut (up to 450 feet) but it was so elastic that I had to strike long and hard while reeling in the line in order to get a hookup.  Now, with braided or fused lines, you can use stronger lines that are thinner than 14 lb test mono.  The braided or fused lines do not tangle up and have no stretch.  You can always add a leader of 14 lb test mono on the end if you want......if you really need it.

Sometimes, I will use large mono for fishing for pike.  I run off what I need from a spool and tie it to the end of a long limber branch.  When a pike bites, I bring it in by hand.  When finished fishing, I bunch the line up and throw it away when I get home.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.