The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Houghton Lake Tips  (Read 8676 times)

Offline Jaybes

• IceShanty Rookie
Houghton Lake Tips
« on: Dec 13, 2018, 11:32 AM »
First timer visiting Houghton at the end of the month. We’ll be hitting the ice from the south side of the lake and moving on foot. Anyone have any advice for getting into Perch/Walleye from that starting point?

Not having a quad or sled will limit our mobility, but it looks like about a 0.8nm walk straight North/Northeast to hit the first deeper pools. With good smitty sleds I’m not too worried about it, but are there fish in there?

Any advice or help is much appreciated, thanks!

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Houghton Lake Tips
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2018, 01:30 PM »
Havent fished houghton since i was a kid.... But on the s side of the lake is a lot of bottom structure id work the shelves and humps for eyes.... Shouldnt be much snow so travel should be easy... The local bait shops could probably poi t you in the right direction once your there cuz the lake is so big the bite might be on one side and off another
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline steak91

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2018, 07:02 AM »
Tough lake to fish on foot.  You really need some wheels of some sort.

Offline Jaybes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2018, 07:33 AM »
...which is why I was looking for tips for being on foot. Wheels aren’t an option.

Anyone know how the pan fishing typically is on the south shore?

Offline thefishfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2018, 09:20 AM »
Be sure to check with Lyman's.

Offline WestSideAl8x8

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pants up, don't loot!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2018, 07:28 PM »
Depending on when you are going I may be able to help out with the transportation needs. I have an 8x8 Argo and can seat 5 guys in it. I'd be happy to take you on a guided tour providing 2 things... 1 we have safe ice 8" min., and 2 you pay it forward to somebody in the future. I may have my son with me for the trip, so I could take 4 of you, 2 would be a lot more comfortable, but I'm game for a group. As an added bonus I carry a stove out for hot coffee and a hot lunch....

Offline Jaybes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2018, 08:17 PM »
Depending on when you are going I may be able to help out with the transportation needs. I have an 8x8 Argo and can seat 5 guys in it. I'd be happy to take you on a guided tour providing 2 things... 1 we have safe ice 8" min., and 2 you pay it forward to somebody in the future. I may have my son with me for the trip, so I could take 4 of you, 2 would be a lot more comfortable, but I'm game for a group. As an added bonus I carry a stove out for hot coffee and a hot lunch....

Wow, that’s a fantastic offer Westside! That’s what makes this place such a good community.

Hopefully there’s solid ice up there at the end of the month, sounds like things are off to a good start. We’re really hoping to find some eater walleyes, since we rarely get to ice fish for those in southern Michigan. Keep me posted on the ice via PM, excited to get up there and hopefully we can meet up!

Offline WestSideAl8x8

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pants up, don't loot!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2018, 09:31 PM »
Not a problem sir. I enjoy making new ice fishing friends, and consider myself an ice fishing junkie. When are you thinking of going, and how many of you are there? I was recently sacked from my job, so with being unemployed I am available most any time.

Offline Jaybes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2018, 08:26 AM »
Not a problem sir. I enjoy making new ice fishing friends, and consider myself an ice fishing junkie. When are you thinking of going, and how many of you are there? I was recently sacked from my job, so with being unemployed I am available most any time.

We're going Dec. 27-29, and there's just 2 of us. 

Neither of us have ice fished Houghton before, and people have been very tight lipped about where to find Walleye.  We've got maps and a general plan, but any local knowledge would be very helpful.  Very excited to go!

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2018, 08:35 AM »
We're going Dec. 27-29, and there's just 2 of us. 

Neither of us have ice fished Houghton before, and people have been very tight lipped about where to find Walleye.  We've got maps and a general plan, but any local knowledge would be very helpful.  Very excited to go!
East Bay

Offline Jaybes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2018, 08:41 AM »
East Bay

Thanks!  Unfortunately coming from the South shore that would require transportation for us, unless there's a good public place to park and walk?  In late December, are the Walleyes still in the shallow flats or should we plan on hitting the deeper pools?

Offline CWlake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2018, 09:00 AM »
Don't mean to be a downer but I've heard that walleye are hard to find in that lake. lots of pike and pannies. Good luck and please post results.

Offline Jaybes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2018, 09:07 AM »
Don't mean to be a downer but I've heard that walleye are hard to find in that lake. lots of pike and pannies. Good luck and please post results.

Really?  That's unfortunate.  YouTube definitely paints a different story.  I know it's known for Pike but I was under the impression it's great for eater eyes.  Regardless, I'll settle for perch, if they're in there.

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2018, 09:22 AM »

Quite true and if you do find them expect to catch 10 small ones for every 1 keeper

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2018, 09:29 AM »
Really?  That's unfortunate.  YouTube definitely paints a different story.  I know it's known for Pike but I was under the impression it's great for eater eyes.  Regardless, I'll settle for perch, if they're in there.

I would not believe everything you se on you tube. I can tell you this 3 of us went out to our spot in Sept and one day each of us caught at least 25 or more walleyes and between the three of us we brought home 2 fish. But this was in a different part of the lake. Perch are in there but you have to know where to find them. If this is your first tip I would find a different lake due to limited time you have and the size of the lake. Check at Lymans bait on M 55 as they can tell you what to use and where to go. This is not a good lake to go to in the winter if you have not fished it before and you are on foot. Just beware there is open water out there yet stay away from that

Offline Jaybes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2018, 09:46 AM »
I would not believe everything you se on you tube. I can tell you this 3 of us went out to our spot in Sept and one day each of us caught at least 25 or more walleyes and between the three of us we brought home 2 fish. But this was in a different part of the lake. Perch are in there but you have to know where to find them. If this is your first tip I would find a different lake due to limited time you have and the size of the lake. Check at Lymans bait on M 55 as they can tell you what to use and where to go. This is not a good lake to go to in the winter if you have not fished it before and you are on foot. Just beware there is open water out there yet stay away from that

Interesting, thanks for sharing.  I have talked to Lymans several times.  I've been told the lake it fishable now, and that walleyes can be found all over the lake.  Seems weird that I'm getting conflicting information?

At this point, I think we dont have much of an option for other lakes, I'm hearing that the deeper lakes up there won't be safe by next week.

Offline Jaybes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2018, 09:48 AM »
Scout, what other lakes would you recommend for Perch and/or Walleye?

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2018, 09:59 AM »
The one lake for both of these is not safe yet a couple guys fell in last week. Lymans is right the walleyes are all over the lake but look at a map of the lake and see haw many acres it covers. This is the largest inland lake in Mich. Lakes such as Higgins are wide open. There are smaller lakes but I will not name them you just have to do your homework to find them. Good luck and stay safe 

Offline Jaybes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2018, 10:08 AM »
The one lake for both of these is not safe yet a couple guys fell in last week. Lymans is right the walleyes are all over the lake but look at a map of the lake and see haw many acres it covers. This is the largest inland lake in Mich. Lakes such as Higgins are wide open. There are smaller lakes but I will not name them you just have to do your homework to find them. Good luck and stay safe

Thanks for the input. I’m aware how large Houghton is, and we’ve done quite a bit of homework. Without actually living in that area, the conflicting information makes it tough.  I guess we’ll learn from experience.  We’re just trying to get on fishable ice and get away from home for a few days and have a good time...not trying to “overtake” anyone’s secret small lakes.

Offline spartannation

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2018, 02:27 AM »
Shoot me a PM. I can give you some starting points that can you can walk out to and would be away from the crowds.

Offline thefishfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2018, 11:25 AM »
I will be coming to Houghton around the 1st. Spartanation, if you want to shoot me a pm on some spots to try i'd greatly appreciate it. I'm on foot also. I have been off public access behind rite aid.I've been there a couple times and have yet to catch  walleye and only have caught dink perch. Have got into a couple fair pike. Thanks for any tips .

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2018, 04:42 PM »
I haven't caught a keeper walleye on Houghton Lake for the last two ice seasons. Something has changed on the lake the last couple years, there used to be a lot more legal walleye but now they are gone.

Offline Jaybes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 19, 2018, 06:58 PM »
I haven't caught a keeper walleye on Houghton Lake for the last two ice seasons. Something has changed on the lake the last couple years, there used to be a lot more legal walleye but now they are gone.

Well that’s depressing. Amazing to me how much conflicting info I’m getting about this lake. Looking forward to seeing for myself I guess.

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 20, 2018, 04:57 AM »
First timer visiting Houghton at the end of the month. We’ll be hitting the ice from the south side of the lake and moving on foot. Anyone have any advice for getting into Perch/Walleye from that starting point?

Not having a quad or sled will limit our mobility, but it looks like about a 0.8nm walk straight North/Northeast to hit the first deeper pools. With good smitty sleds I’m not too worried about it, but are there fish in there?

Any advice or help is much appreciated, thanks!

PM sent

Offline Barker1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Eat, sleep, college, fish. It's what I do!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 20, 2018, 05:45 AM »
I see people constantly posting about tips for walleye on this lake, yes reports are usually always different. Only pattern I can see is weed beds and drop offs. Most people with success on YouTube have transportation and electronics. If they have a YouTube channel to begin with you know they are a really serious angler who is willing to put it all out there/buy the latest gear to have success.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #25 on: Dec 20, 2018, 05:14 PM »
On Houghton yesterday  on south launch and east bay. Noting but dink perch but some guys were getting pike on tip ups on East Bay. Plenty of ice...machines were out and about.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Jaybes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 20, 2018, 06:33 PM »
On Houghton yesterday  on south launch and east bay. Noting but dink perch but some guys were getting pike on tip ups on East Bay. Plenty of ice...machines were out and about.

Glad to hear the ice is solid, thanks for the update. Bummer about the dink perch, I’m hoping for keepers next week  :tipup:

Offline chalky1489

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 26, 2018, 09:33 AM »
How are ice conditions on Houghton? Possibly going up this weekend

Offline Jaybes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 28, 2018, 05:45 PM »
Update:

Been fishing Houghton for the past 3 days, day and night, 18hrs a day...I can honestly say that I doubt I’ll ever return.

People keep saying the “bite is slow”...it isn’t slow, we’re catching tons of fish...and almost every one belongs in my minnow bucket. We have transportation, we have Novanics, we have hit many of the “popular” holes, and I’ve never seen so many dink fish in my life. It’s truly incredible.

Fun trip, great experience, but wow are the fish in this lake underwhelming.

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 28, 2018, 07:55 PM »
 Thanks for coming up and supporting the business around the lake. Like I told someone else it id like playing the lotto, somedays you win but most days you lose I could say I told you so but I won't because it is just fishing and you never know until you go

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.