Author Topic: Ice Cleats  (Read 3786 times)

Offline rudyc

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Cleats
« on: Nov 25, 2017, 11:14 PM »
Looking to purchase a set for this season. I now have a pair of STABILicers MAXX and although they work well on glare ice, not so well if they is much snow on the ice.

What works on both glare ice and ice with a snow covering???

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Ice Cleats
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2017, 11:22 PM »
ice racing screws. 3/8".

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2017, 08:36 AM »
Hillsound trail crampons, love them. 😊

Offline PaddyO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2017, 08:57 AM »
ice racing screws. 3/8".
Exactly - can't beat them.
Clam Kenia Pro Thermo Stealth
Otter XT X-Cabin Thermo
Clam Kenia Pro
Marcum Showdown
Marcum VS485C
Labatt Blue Light

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2017, 09:15 AM »
Kahtoola MICROspikes!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2017, 09:23 AM »
Kahtoola Microspikes for the win!

There was no way I was screwing anything into the bottom of my brand new $200 Muck’s a few seasons ago. I found the Microspikes for $55 w/free shipping and haven’t looked back. XL Microspikes fit my size 14 Muck Arctic Pro’s great.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2017, 11:50 AM »
Kahtoola Microspikes for the win!

There was no way I was screwing anything into the bottom of my brand new $200 Muck’s a few seasons ago. I found the Microspikes for $55 w/free shipping and haven’t looked back. XL Microspikes fit my size 14 Muck Arctic Pro’s great.
yep this..im not screwing anything into my boots  either,maybe a old crap pair of boots but not my mickeys,bunnies or mucks.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2017, 02:51 PM »
Kahtoola Microspikes are all I will use. can't be beat.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline OneMoreFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2017, 04:20 PM »
Looking to get the micro spikes as a gift. They will go over some size 12 or 13 Mickey Mouse boots. XL would be the size to go for right?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2017, 04:30 PM »
Hillsound trail crampons, love them. 😊
.       X2

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2017, 04:56 PM »
Looking to get the micro spikes as a gift. They will go over some size 12 or 13 Mickey Mouse boots. XL would be the size to go for right?
yep xl microspikes.i have them on my 13 micks.they go on tight but that's how they are  designed.

Offline OneMoreFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2017, 05:12 PM »
yep xl microspikes.i have them on my 13 micks.they go on tight but that's how they are  designed.

Awesome thanks!

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2017, 07:45 PM »
Yak Trax XTR spikes.
jbird68

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2017, 11:01 AM »
Have you tried the Hillsounds? Same concept but with longer spikes, more spikes, and more secure to the boot.

Also Kahtoola Microspikes have been manufactured in a different plant in a different country for about a year now.  I haven't tried new ones yet but according to reports they changed the rubber and durability is not as good as the originals.

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2017, 11:25 AM »

Same here. Pricey but worth it.

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2017, 11:36 AM »
I've tried most of the cheap ice traction solutions from the under the instep one strap things to screws to Yaktrax. Not really happy with any of them weather it was comfort, shoddy, cheap materials or good idea poor execution, none of them lasted more than a season or two. Three years ago I bought two pair of what I thought were "good" full crampons that fit my pac-boots. Kahtoola KTS'S and K-10's. What a difference they've made! Very well built, sturdy with long teeth absolutely no slipping around with these! Took a little getting used to but a very good investment! Expensive? Some will say so but really how much does an open reduction of a distal radial/ulnar fx cost ya? How about that rotator cuff tear? Hmm....The paradox of bargains is they seldom come cheap ;D! Stay safe out there! Invest in "quality" equipment and benefit for years!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2017, 04:35 AM »
I too started with cheapo stuff, even home made clothes hanger wire / barbed wire conceptual design cleats.

I then decided that I wanted to run or pull my sled uphill with less effort wasting.  I got some Grivel G10 crampons,wide toe version.  This actually works so well, I never needed to try anything else.  Then I got these Lacrosse extreme PFT boots.  PAC boots similar in design and couldn't get the Grivel to fit them. Couldn't drive with these Lacrosse extreme PFT boots on.  They only really came out when the truck could come out when over a foot of ice.  Still I wanted a more efficient way of getting crampons on and off faster than my Grivel G10.  So this year I am trying out the Hillsound Trail Crampons.  The Pro and Ultra pairs of. The Pro is similar to my Grivel G10 with a smaller front spikes.  The Ultra is similar to Kahtoola microspikes but appears better design.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2017, 05:36 AM »
I wear Kahtoola Micro's as well and happy with them overall.  Only issue I've had was one time heading off the ice towing my sled and had to climb a hill that was solid ice - a real bobsled run of a situation.  About 3/4 of the way up I twisted my boot, off popped my cleat, and the ride was on.

Offline MassBass85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 25, 2017, 04:20 PM »
Another vote for the micro spikes

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.