Author Topic: Flip over power box  (Read 150473 times)

Offline nd.walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Is there such a thing as a bad day of fishing?
Re: Flip over power box
« Reply #360 on: Jan 26, 2016, 07:43 AM »
Man i feel stupid, i was looking for an alternative to the cigarette lighter and apparently just didn't know what to look up! I may have to snake that idea for my LED's when i get them and rig one up for my underwater camera. Looks nice! :)

Offline stimps

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #361 on: Jan 26, 2016, 09:34 AM »
I've had mine done for awhile, but have been too lazy to post pictures. First time trying pics from my phone, so hopefully it works the first time.

I went a little crazy, but it turned out sweet. Borrowed ideas from everyone, so a big thank you to all of you guys.

I started with a .45 cal ammo can from gander. Ordered everything from amazon, except the box, and wire. Everything is ran through a 10 gang fuse block mounted inside.

Middle switch by the handle turns power on to the box, and the voltmeter/USB/cigarette ports. Switch to the top left turns on the box lights. The remaining three switches power shanty lights that are wired with barrel jacks for easy plug and play. The last barrel jack on the far right is where I plug in the charger, so I don't have to remove the battery.

I have two strips of LEDs that I have to attach to my flip over poles. I had enough leftover to make two strips for my new hub as well. Thanks again to all of the great ideas, I never would have thought this up on my own.

(Image removed from quote.)

Nutsicles - Where did you get the Barrel Jacks from? I've been looking for those but can't seem to find them.

Thanks

Offline nd.walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #362 on: Jan 26, 2016, 09:43 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OK430NQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Or lookup some version of that - while referred to as barrel jacks or connectors its harder then heck to find them searching that way. :)

Offline Nutsicles

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't sleep, ice season is too short!!
« Reply #363 on: Jan 26, 2016, 06:24 PM »
These are the ones I used. One of the previous posts a member put up a link to something similar. They also show the matching male plug towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EQ1UWX4/ref=pd_aw_sim_23_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=414HynKLnCL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL100_SR100%2C100_&refRID=101YRP56WZN1PBNBDVQR

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #364 on: Jan 26, 2016, 08:02 PM »
Just found this thread, looks like another project

great ideas on this forum

Offline stimps

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #365 on: Jan 27, 2016, 07:37 AM »
Perfect, Thank you.

Offline SlimShanty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #366 on: Feb 14, 2016, 02:06 PM »
I will probably do this over the summer.  I love stuff like this.  Thanks for all the ideas.

Offline Hackny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #367 on: Feb 18, 2016, 10:59 AM »
Been reading these posts for a while and I really liked the idea of the power box and led lights so I gave it a shot.

Offline Hackny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #368 on: Feb 18, 2016, 11:15 AM »
I used a RGB flood light and have RGB LED strips going across the poles in my shanty, this allows me to change colors and dim the lighting.

Offline Hackny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #369 on: Feb 18, 2016, 11:28 AM »
I am using 2 7ah batteries a fuse block I also have a quick connect for a charger battery tender. One switch runs the 12v plug, one for the volt meter and usb plug, one for the flood light, and one for the white led strip going around the box. The pennies were glued to the bottom to keep the batteries from sliding into the fuse block. The led strip going around the box starts on the inside of the box to light up the inside because that is where I store my cables for plugging into the shanty lights.

Offline sdatver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #370 on: Feb 21, 2016, 02:00 PM »
Here is the box I built. The battery in it was just to test everything out I put an AGM battery in it the same size.  I put the light on it to tare down and pack up when done.

Battery: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K8E0WAG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=HB1MG8KLV1X1&coliid=I2CS16QK7RLGE8

Offline OpheyW

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #371 on: Mar 06, 2016, 10:48 AM »
Thanks to all of your guys great posts I was able to build my own battery box.    I am going to post a list of part and post a few pictures to help the next guy. 

Battery Box

Plano ammo box. $14.99 - Gander Mountain
From Amazon
12 Volt 12 amp deep cycle battery  $27.99
HOTSYSTEM 5PC New 20A 12V Round Rocker Toggle Switch Blue LED $6.99
OLS PSZACCEPS051H 6-Way LED Illuminated Blade Fuse Box $12.99
Square D by Schneider Electric PK4GTACP 4 Terminal Ground Bar $4.99
Bandc Waterproof Marine Lighter Socket Power Outlet Socket 12v Plug $7.99
Mictuning DC 12V LED Digital Display Voltmeter Waterproof $8.80
BANDC PJH-RS-0123 Power Outlet Dual USB Charger Socket 2.1A 1A  $6.82
KAWELLŽ 12W DC 10-30V 6500K LED Spot Beam 30 Degree Waterproof $15.99
RioRand 2-Piece Waterproof Aluminum High Power 6W 6000K Xenon Slim. $6.99
Hopkins 47965 2-Pole Flat Extension $2.99

See you on the ice....next year....

Offline dairyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #372 on: Mar 07, 2016, 10:11 AM »
Nice,but at a cost of $110 that's out of my budget

Offline SlimShanty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #373 on: May 13, 2016, 02:18 PM »
Where do you guys buy your batteries?  I've tried Fleet Farm and Menards to no avail.  Am I looking in the wrong department?  Also what's the best place to buy the wiring parts?  Auto parts stores like Napa?

Offline SlimShanty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #374 on: May 13, 2016, 07:07 PM »
Nevermind, found the goods at Fleet Farm.  Working on the build right now.

Offline SlimShanty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #375 on: Aug 29, 2016, 04:21 PM »
Who has this on their ammo can?  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OK430NQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I'm trying to wire mine up.  There are 3 terminals.  Which ones are which for - and + ?

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #376 on: Aug 29, 2016, 05:52 PM »
The middle will be the positive pole, the negative would go to the pin on the opposite side leaving the one in the middle unused.

Offline SlimShanty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #377 on: Aug 30, 2016, 04:06 PM »
Thanks for the info, man.  I appreciate it.

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #378 on: Sep 30, 2016, 07:57 AM »
Thanks to all of your guys great posts I was able to build my own battery box.    I am going to post a list of part and post a few pictures to help the next guy. 

Battery Box

Plano ammo box. $14.99 - Gander Mountain
From Amazon
12 Volt 12 amp deep cycle battery  $27.99
HOTSYSTEM 5PC New 20A 12V Round Rocker Toggle Switch Blue LED $6.99
OLS PSZACCEPS051H 6-Way LED Illuminated Blade Fuse Box $12.99
Square D by Schneider Electric PK4GTACP 4 Terminal Ground Bar $4.99
Bandc Waterproof Marine Lighter Socket Power Outlet Socket 12v Plug $7.99
Mictuning DC 12V LED Digital Display Voltmeter Waterproof $8.80
BANDC PJH-RS-0123 Power Outlet Dual USB Charger Socket 2.1A 1A  $6.82
KAWELLŽ 12W DC 10-30V 6500K LED Spot Beam 30 Degree Waterproof $15.99
RioRand 2-Piece Waterproof Aluminum High Power 6W 6000K Xenon Slim. $6.99
Hopkins 47965 2-Pole Flat Extension $2.99

See you on the ice....next year....

OpheyW

Making a box similar to yours.  Wondering how you attached the rocker switches inside the box?  Did you do a friction fit, or are they glued in? 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #379 on: Sep 30, 2016, 08:16 AM »
I've had mine done for awhile, but have been too lazy to post pictures. First time trying pics from my phone, so hopefully it works the first time.

I went a little crazy, but it turned out sweet. Borrowed ideas from everyone, so a big thank you to all of you guys.

I started with a .45 cal ammo can from gander. Ordered everything from amazon, except the box, and wire. Everything is ran through a 10 gang fuse block mounted inside.

Middle switch by the handle turns power on to the box, and the voltmeter/USB/cigarette ports. Switch to the top left turns on the box lights. The remaining three switches power shanty lights that are wired with barrel jacks for easy plug and play. The last barrel jack on the far right is where I plug in the charger, so I don't have to remove the battery.

I have two strips of LEDs that I have to attach to my flip over poles. I had enough leftover to make two strips for my new hub as well. Thanks again to all of the great ideas, I never would have thought this up on my own.

Nutsicles

I have a similar barrel jack in my box, wondering how you attached yours to the lid?  My jacks seem a little loose and may push in when I connect my leads to them. 

Cwavs1982
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #380 on: Oct 03, 2016, 10:33 AM »
Barrel jacks have a nut on them, you drill the hole to fit the threaded part of the barrel, and tighten the nut on the outside of the box. It should be fairly self-explanatory if you look closely at it.

Offline bb400guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #381 on: Oct 03, 2016, 11:13 AM »
Hey Guys,

I'm going to attempt to make a power box as well, but I'm up in Canada and I can't get the stuff of Amazon.com, only Amazon.ca and that site's electrical component selection is limited - I can't get all the components that have been listed on this thread.  But I can get this:

Seems like this would be a better, cheaper option - thoughts?  Maybe I'm wrong...
How long is a piece of string?

Offline nd.walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #382 on: Oct 03, 2016, 11:43 AM »
Yea, that seems like overkill for sure. I think mine was like $6USD - try maybe auto repair places - might spend a little bit more but definitely should be cheaper then $60.

Offline nd.walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #383 on: Oct 03, 2016, 11:44 AM »
https://www.amazon.ca/XCSOURCE-Charger-Voltmeter-Cigarette-BC553/dp/B01F4QPER8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1475513028&sr=8-5&keywords=12v+panel

This is similar to mine, although more expensive, but you can do your own switches for cheap.

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #384 on: Oct 03, 2016, 12:13 PM »
My jacks don't have the threaded jack.  I know the kind that you are referring to though.  I am wondering if I can drill a slightly larger hole and push the jack past the first rib. 

https://www.hitlights.com/dc-female-to-screw-terminal-connectors

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #385 on: Oct 03, 2016, 12:28 PM »
Hmmm, those jacks are certainly not designed for mounting in a box like the threaded ones. Maybe if you press fit them into a hole tightly enough, then apply lots of glue to the back they maye hold.

bb400guy - I too am in Canada and have been able to find all the needed parts to build a power box:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00ZI5E7YC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00H8KT6YQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are a great light for a power box, I prefer them to the LED strips that many are using:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00LHMPDDY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #386 on: Oct 03, 2016, 12:57 PM »
That is what I was thinking. Had them on hand, so thought I might as well try these first.  The LED lights I was using had connectors offered the connectors, but they only accept a 16/18 ga wire.  May have to go find the threaded jacks if these don't work. 

Thanks for the reply.  Still have a few months before the hardwater comes, so still have time to work this out.

Offline bb400guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #387 on: Oct 03, 2016, 01:00 PM »
Well, I found this same panel for $48.75 CND (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01LW3WEDM/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A14FJKT8970ZB1&psc=1), obviously it's China made and being sold by multiple sellers of different prices.  After I add up all the individual costs for the separate components I'm within $10 of this panel.  I think the clean look and ease of installation is worth the extra $$$. 

I would still need a fuse panel right?  And possibly one main on/off switch?   

Warren_G:  I'll get those LED lights, they look like a better option - thanks for the link!

How long is a piece of string?

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #388 on: Oct 03, 2016, 01:43 PM »
Most guys here recommend putting in at least an inline fuse coming off the battery. Some have used re settable circuit breakers.    I put the mainline fuse in, but also put a fuse on the light circuit.  Might be overkill but at least I know I am covered for any short that could happen. 

Offline scubieman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #389 on: Nov 21, 2016, 11:19 AM »
What is a good light? I need something close not big and bulky?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.