Author Topic: Underwater camera angle  (Read 889 times)

Offline Evinrude58

• Team IceShanty Regular
Underwater camera angle
« on: Nov 18, 2020, 12:31 PM »
Just got a camera and read somewhere that is best to have the camera looking down when ice fishing but the videos I have watched they usually seem to be looking horizonal. There even was one guy who likes to have his close to the bottom and looking upward at a slight angle. So which does everyone use and why? I can see some advantages to both horizonal and vertical.

Offline joemx1825

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Underwater camera angle
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2020, 12:36 PM »
I keep mine lure level, I suppose it could be spooking some fish but I've always seemed to have fish come upto the bait no problem.  Looking top down gives you a wider angle to see fish approaching from all sides...

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2020, 12:43 PM »
Down 45 deg ..for quick scouting . Up 45 deg for deeper water and sitting still/scouting ..lots of fish travel just under the ice and out of your sonars cone. Most times fish will come into the camera ..especially on the flats...not sure why but they spook me sometimes as I spin the camera and poof a bluegill nudging the camera .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2020, 12:44 PM »
Just got a camera and read somewhere that is best to have the camera looking down when ice fishing but the videos I have watched they usually seem to be looking horizonal. There even was one guy who likes to have his close to the bottom and looking upward at a slight angle. So which does everyone use and why? I can see some advantages to both horizonal and vertical.

A lot depends on how and where you are fishing. Often I fish lake trout deep and it is too dark to see down or even horizontal. When shallow anything is possible.  Here is an example.

Horizontal is better if you have the light.

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Evinrude58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2020, 03:32 PM »
For low light has anyone used an underwater light like used off docks and boats?

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2020, 03:37 PM »
Down,  mainly because it's quick to setup and gives a view of all sides of your lure

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2020, 04:12 PM »
I use both approaches. Point down to hunt fish and sideways to see their depth.  Fish have swam up to the camera - never seemed to spook them.

Offline caldwellite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2020, 10:11 PM »
I rigged a scuba dive flashlight on a Cabelas black and white camera years ago. It worked for deep water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.