The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Gull  (Read 15283 times)

Offline dfman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Gull
« on: Jan 21, 2020, 10:26 AM »
I cant believe my eyes.  Looks like someone is fishing the bay on gull.  Just looked at the webcam.

Offline Fish Killa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
Re: Gull
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2020, 10:34 AM »
The lakes are starting to get going around this area. Tonight will help a lot as well.
I'm not as good as I once was but I am good once as I ever was.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2020, 07:28 PM »
2 1/2 "- 3" of ice just off the end of the dock. 30 yds. out & my spud went thru w/ 1 wack. Gonna wait a day or 2.The north 1/2 of the lake locked up Monday. 1/2" of ice at the launch.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline Jaybes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2020, 09:04 PM »
I cant believe my eyes.  Looks like someone is fishing the bay on gull.  Just looked at the webcam.

Wow. There’s 6” of frozen snow on the bay sitting on about 1/2” of ice. I wouldn’t set a foot anywhere on Gull right now. Been checking the shoreline by my place everyday this week and it’s not even close.  The snow killed what little progress we had made. At this point I’ve just given up on the chance of fishing Gull this year, probably gotta stick to the small lakes or go up north. Global warming sucks. 

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2020, 10:15 PM »
I'm hoping for some cold weather in The beginning of February. Time is dwindling thou. I haven't heard fat lady singing yet. Good to hear you're alive and kicking Smeltbuster  :thumbsup:

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2020, 06:03 AM »
I'm hoping for some cold weather in The beginning of February. Time is dwindling thou. I haven't heard fat lady singing yet. Good to hear you're alive and kicking Smeltbuster  :thumbsup:
  Yup ,I'm still here. Semi-retired & goin crazy waiting for ice ! Give me a call !
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline dfman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2020, 08:52 AM »
Quite a few guys out today.  Ice must be growing. 

Offline Fish Killa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2020, 09:07 AM »
It was in teens last night so I would guess so.

Offline chalky1489

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2020, 09:03 AM »
Anyone know how much ice there is? Looking at the bay cam right now and there are people fishing.

Offline wishing4winter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2020, 09:15 AM »
I just saw that too.  Rain can’t be doing it much good

Offline chalky1489

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2020, 10:08 AM »
Thats exactly what I was thinking!

Offline Fish Killa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2020, 10:16 AM »
3" of good hard ice on Wednesday evening. Now we are above freezing so its going to soften up. I would not trust it past today unless the topping refreezes.

Offline shaftthrower

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2020, 07:43 AM »
There's a handful of guys out there this morning ? I don't see how.

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2020, 08:24 AM »
Even more now  ???. People are really wanting to get out. Hasn't been below freezing for 2 days. Heard hole's were starting to open up too. I guess I should of tried it.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2020, 02:41 PM »
Checked Gull out today: North end ,no way, Baseline rd. no way .   Lots of pockets of open water still, in the main lake. Seen no signs of activity at the bible conf. . Guys have been fishing south bay, but I have not been out since  all the rain,this past Friday. Unless we get at least a week of really cold weather,I doubt there will be any safe ,fishable  ice on the north 1/2 of the lake this year.

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2020, 07:00 PM »
 :'( :'( :'(

Offline Fish Killa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2020, 04:04 AM »
A week ago I saw two people fishing on the ice in the bible conference. I was very surprised.

Offline steeliewood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2020, 06:55 AM »
I wouldn't recommend it but this was from sunday at the bible conf ...2" of frozen snow and maybe 2" of ice

Offline Taco

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Givem the beans!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2020, 03:54 PM »
How's the bite and ice in south bay?

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2020, 10:52 PM »
About 4" on south bay. Smelt bite was terrible Thurs. night. Lots of fish,but they wont bite & when they do,they are about 2" long .

Offline dfman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2020, 10:45 AM »
I see there are guys fishing  the south bay today on the camera.  Anyone know how thick the ice is?

Offline Kziceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 06, 2020, 10:58 AM »
...it was 4 -5 before last weekends warm up.

fishing has been real slow.

My bait always catches fish...or dies trying.

Offline Jaybes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 06, 2020, 02:17 PM »
You're not missing much, it's been awful this year.  Good to see the smelt rebounding but they have basically destroyed the Crappie and Pike fishing in the Bay.  Can drop a jig without a 2.5in smelt stealing your bait and im guessing the Crappie have been feasting so theyre not interested in my subpar local live bait lol

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 06, 2020, 02:54 PM »
Those small smelt are perfect size for Crappie bait ! The same thing happened to my summer trolling for Pike,Bass & Trout. Lots of big clouds of bait fish in the deep water,w/ big "Hooks" under them. Makes it hard to get a bite. Probably going to try South Bay Friday night.

Offline WaterfowlNut!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 08, 2020, 08:56 AM »
So has anybody had much luck with the smelt? I haven't been out there since the smelt die off. And I sure do miss it.
Tight lines everyone!

Offline Jaybes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 08, 2020, 09:52 AM »
So has anybody had much luck with the smelt? I haven't been out there since the smelt die off. And I sure do miss it.

Not this year because the North end hasn’t froze up. The smelt showing up in the South Bay are very young and not worth it.

Offline Jibby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 08, 2020, 11:27 AM »
Has anyone been out spearing?? I’m thinking about going out this week if the ice is decent enough and I have time. I’ve never fished the South Bay so I’m just gonna pick a spot and give it a try.
Any tips are welcome!

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 08, 2020, 12:21 PM »
Has anyone been out spearing?? I’m thinking about going out this week if the ice is decent enough and I have time. I’ve never fished the South Bay so I’m just gonna pick a spot and give it a try.
Any tips are welcome!
   PM Sent.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 09, 2020, 10:36 PM »
This is for Sunday Night; We fished 2nd. bay tonight, in 60 FOW.  We caught 31 smelt. My brother had 10 decent ones, I had 21, 2 were pretty  nice,the rest would be great for big Crappies !  Most were caught near the bottom. Live bait did better than the "Gulp" maggots. There is about 5" of good ice where we fished. It is a mildly slushy mess out there. We walked from south bay. The salon has "Bubblers" going to keep  the docks Ice free. Lots of "Zooplankton" made it impossible to use the spear tonight,you could not see down the hole. 15 small ones for every 1 decent smelt you catch    ??? ??? ???.

Offline Fish Killa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 10, 2020, 07:31 AM »
Thanks for the info Smeltbuster. I was out Saturday evening trying to get at the crappie but could not get away from the smelt anyplace I tried.  Having your flasher completely aglow with smelt makes it impossible to see other fish. And the smelt were all of about 2-3".

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.