The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Lansing Hardwater  (Read 62516 times)

Offline Badder

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lansing Hardwater
« Reply #450 on: Jan 21, 2020, 08:55 PM »
A good friend of mine sent me a quick video of a 1 man flip-over and a couple
guys fishing a gravel pit a couple miles north of St Johns, he does not ice fish so
he did not go and inspectigate.
SPIN 2 WIN!

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #451 on: Jan 23, 2020, 09:29 PM »
There’s ice all around Barry, Cass, Calhoun and Ionia county folks. Definitely worth a little drive wherever you’re at to go spud some spots. Hopefully the rain holds off. I found 4.5 in southern Kalamazoo county today and 3.5 in northern Barry earlier in the week. DeWitt area has 3-4. Lansing has got to have some ice around. Hope this helps fellas. This year has been a bust, Ice we want we don’t get the ice we get we don’t want. Ice picks spud bars and friends on the ice this year guys.
I’m a psycho and will sleep in the parking lot so I can get out on the ice before you.

Offline Badder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #452 on: Jan 23, 2020, 09:57 PM »
Thanks for the update.
SPIN 2 WIN!

Offline Badder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #453 on: Jan 31, 2020, 07:20 PM »
I just seen a guy on the little lake south side of Davis Hwy. West of Canal Rd.
Seen the glow of a lantern and his rig parked there. Hope he does well.
A friend of mine fished on about 4" between St. Johns and Ithaca the other day.
Not sure on quality of the 4" though. Headed north next weekend.
Stay Safe!
SPIN 2 WIN!

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #454 on: Feb 10, 2020, 10:36 AM »
I fished Victoria (private) the other day. Solid black 4”, but a couple areas around the islands got down to 2. Like I said there’s ice out there fellas just bring your spud and ice picks. I think the ice that IS here is here to stay. Sure we have some warmups here and there but as long as it stay below freezing at night it’ll lock up overnight. After the cold snap we’d-Friday that going to really help even with the snow on top. Good luck fellas.
I’m a psycho and will sleep in the parking lot so I can get out on the ice before you.

Offline backinmich

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #455 on: Feb 10, 2020, 07:44 PM »
I was over in the Pinckney SRA today on 4.5" of good ice with 4" of wet snow on top. Looks like we'll get a quick Arctic Blast later this week so this ice should be around for a while. Bite was slow but got a nice crappie and enough gills for a meal.

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #456 on: Feb 13, 2020, 10:11 PM »
Anyone been out in the Lansing area yet?  Considering going to Morrison this weekend, if any one has a report on the ice conditions.
Thanks

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #457 on: Feb 14, 2020, 11:34 AM »
I’m down for Morrison. Total Firearms pit is still closed. I’ve got a 3 day weekend.

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #458 on: Dec 21, 2020, 06:48 PM »
That time of year again fellas. Headed north tomorrow. If anyone wants to share any info on ice conditions/where’s the bite at this year send me a message. I’ll update periodically but won’t have much time this year to go out and find ice like I have been the past 6 years. I appreciate anyone’s input this season. You guys can of course share whatever on this thread but starting to feel like the Internet is starting to ruin our favorite spots so I’m switching things up this year. Hope to share some good info this year. Message me whenever thanks guys

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #459 on: Dec 23, 2020, 06:41 PM »
Total Firearms pit near Holt now has public access at the north end, where they built a park.  No more $5 fee.  Look up Esker Landing.  i drove over and looked at it.  Sign says closes at dusk, but no gate.  I don't know if they will enforce the hours.  https://delhitrails.com/trails/esker-landing-park  East leg of the roundabout between Holt and Mason.
My gear is ready, just need ice!

- Joe

Offline backinmich

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #460 on: Dec 25, 2020, 02:05 PM »
Thanks! I've never been on there. Looks like it's worth a try.

Offline Snoman2005

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!!!
« Reply #461 on: Dec 26, 2020, 05:51 AM »
I have caught a lot if bass there, as well as some pike, using tipups.

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #462 on: Jan 01, 2021, 04:49 PM »
People have been reporting 4" of ice on Sessions lake and a few other places.  I'm going to go out and mess around tomorrow.  Not sure where yet.  Crego? Interstate? Maybe Motz county park.  I'm pretty sure the Total Firearms pit isn't safe yet.  It's so deep it seems to not warm up very fast.   New toy I just ordered is this little fan/light to blow the heat down in my DX3000 shanty.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PRRFMHV   My Hunting Buddy heater kicks butt, but needs something to blow the heat down to my toes. 
- Joe

Offline wormdunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #463 on: Jan 03, 2021, 02:06 PM »
any luck find fishable ice? I was at Cegro two young guys were set up 6ft from shore said was 3in
Retired Great Lakes Charter Captain now want to learn Ice Fishing

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #464 on: Jan 03, 2021, 03:56 PM »
Today at Crego I put one foot on the ice to the right of the dock (not fishing pier) and was able to bounce the ice up and down and watch water squirt out of a bunch of little holes about 3' from shore.  Nope.  At Lake Interstate it looks like a guy went out about 20 feet, then put a bunch of sticks poking out of a hole.  It looked like they may have gotten a boot wet.  Another path going out about 80', again ended in brush sticking up out of the ice.  Nope!   I only looked at Lake Alliance and didn't see any signs of anyone on the ice.  I had bait and all my non-shanty toys with me, but didn't see anyplace worth trying yet.  PX store on MLK didn't have any bait in yet.  Walmarts at Town Square and Charlotte have some sad looking waxies.  I found a couple packs of them in the back that weren't dark yet.  So far I've picked up 4 26" Beaver Dam Noodle Rod combos at Walmart.  Working at replacing at least some of the old Schooley rods I've had for 35 years.
- Joe

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #465 on: Jan 06, 2021, 08:36 PM »
 I think we have ice coming up.  Wonderground 10 day forcast https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/mi/lansing has us at way below 32 average for the next 7 days.  A couple of nights down to 18.  Hopefully it will freeze all the slush, and add a couple inches  :)
- Joe

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #466 on: Jan 08, 2021, 08:02 AM »
You guys can find ice anywhere north of my pleasant. I’ve been on several times the past few weeks. It’s a little drive but if you’re a freak like me it’s no big deal. Reports of Fichable ice around ottawa, allegan, and Jackson counties last week but I assume this last week softened it up a bit. Got some colder night this next week. I’ll probably start scouting Eaton/ingham/barry county in a week or so. Couple tips for you guys. Look for shallower small ponds/lakes that are shielded by hills/trees and have no inlets or outlets and/or springs. A lot of spring fed water you’ll see little air pockets in the ice early in the season. Those are the ones that will take a little longer. Just thought it might help for anyone new to finding first ice. Oh yeah also KNOW YOUR SPUD AND WEAR YOUR ICE PICKS AND BRING A FRIEND. More folks have gone through this year so far than any year within the past 5-7 years as far as I know. Stay safe

Offline compli123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish whispering since 1962
« Reply #467 on: Jan 08, 2021, 10:02 AM »
Thanks RB, I'm confirming that and adding that I checked Vineyard Wednesday and tracks were visible going halfway across the lake. And coming back!
I like to sit around on the ice doing nothing because my wife won't let me do it at home.

Offline bmyrkle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #468 on: Jan 09, 2021, 04:16 PM »
I checked a half dozen lakes in Barry and Eaton Counties today and they were all being fished by multiple people. 3 to 5 good inches consistently checked by drilling a few holes and talking to people.
"I get asked, 'what's your favorite fish to catch?' Well, it's red lines on my Vexilar. I don't care what's down there. I just want to go out and catch something." -- Dave Genz

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #469 on: Jan 10, 2021, 11:28 AM »
Yesterday at Crego there was 4 inches of ice.  No bites.  One other fisherman there that wasn't doing anything either.  Total Firearms pit had about 1.5 inches at the ends.  The middle looked open and covered with geese.   This morning I went to Morrison.  4" of ice.  Lots of guys fishing.  I got no bites again :(  One guy that had 5 fish said they shut down right when I walked out at 8:30.  3-5 fish was the most I saw anyone with.  I didn't see any caught after I got out there.  I might try Motz/Clinton Lakes park this afternoon.  Or maybe check to see if the little pit off Davis Hwy is iced over.  If not, Lake Interstate might be worth a try.
- Joe

Offline compli123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #470 on: Jan 11, 2021, 12:52 PM »
I heard all good news for areas west of Lansing too. Now we need to keep that snow away for 1 week until those single digits.
I like to sit around on the ice doing nothing because my wife won't let me do it at home.

Offline compli123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #471 on: Jan 13, 2021, 06:39 PM »
I heard all good news for areas west of Lansing too. Now we need to keep that snow away for 1 week until those single digits.

... and just like that the single digits disappear from the forecast.

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #472 on: Jan 15, 2021, 06:48 PM »
... and just like that the single digits disappear from the forecast.
It's my fault.  I just upgraded from a 5" Lazer with 5X Ridgid 780 lbs drill, to a 7" Lazer and 1200 lb Kobalt drill.  Now I might have to drive north to try it out.  The Kobalts are $149 at Lowes with charger and 4.0 Ah battery.   Anyone know of any good lakes near Ithaca?  I've got a 3 day weekend.  Need to bring the Baffin Eiger boots I bought my brother up to him in Sumner, so I want to try something around there if there's ice.
- Joe

Offline wormdunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #473 on: Jan 17, 2021, 02:32 PM »
Does anyone know if the ponds on Dell road are private or not. Was told they are not but I have never seen anyone fish them
Retired Great Lakes Charter Captain now want to learn Ice Fishing

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #474 on: Jan 17, 2021, 08:32 PM »
Does anyone know if the ponds on Dell road are private or not. Was told they are not but I have never seen anyone fish them
  It isn't a private lake.  But you do need to find a way to get out on the ice without trespassing, or have permission from one of the landowners.  It looks like there is parking for the Sycamore Trail pathway, right at Dell Rd that might entail walking a bit, but would provide access going south.  To be a true Private Lake, it requires one owner of the entire perimeter, then it is private, and no DNR rules apply.  Dell Rd pits are not private.  The chain of these gravel pits goes from Hawk Island to south of Total Firearms.  I'm looking to find access to the pit just south of Jolly Rd myself.  As soon as the Total Firearms pit ices over I'll be out there via Esker Landing park.
- Joe

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #475 on: Jan 18, 2021, 07:35 PM »
Today I checked out a couple of local spots. 

Davis Highway pit:  It has ice, but very bad near shore.  Less than 1" 3-4 feet out.  No signs of anyone on it recently.

Lake Interstate.  A couple paths going out, and someone was out in the middle with a Shappell DX3000 shanty.  Probably good to go, but still be careful.

Motz Park: Lots fishing on the smaller east side.  Lots of shanties there.  A few on the west side where the rainbow trout are.  It's good to go.  I see signs saying the east side closes at dusk & $100 fine. No signs at the west side.  Is the west side ok for night fishing? 

I have to work 9-5 during weekdays, so a lot of the local park spots are closed for me.  Tomorrow when I take my kids to KSA Martial Arts at Jolly/Aurelius I'll try and find a way to access the pit there :)
- Joe

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #476 on: Feb 01, 2021, 06:18 PM »
I'm up for going out any night but Tuesday or Thursday if anyone wants to go with me, and I don't mind driving a ways if the fishing is better.  I'm thinking Total Firearms pit, Saubee/Tamarack, Tupper or wherever.  I've got multiple size shantys and all the toys.  I was on-call the last 10 days at work and haven't been able to go out.  I'm ready now! 

I've also got a free pair of skis if someone wants to build a smitty sled.  I saw them today at Goodwill for $2.09 and couldn't pass them up :)
- Joe

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #477 on: Feb 06, 2021, 10:58 PM »
I fished the Esker Landing (the free) end of Total Firearms pit twice so far.  3-5 other guys out there also, and never saw a fish caught by anyone.  Once in the afternoon, and the next time from 5:30-8:30 at night.  All you see on the ice is dead minnows from bait.  I marked a lot of fish, some big, but nothing biting for anyone.  I bit the bullet and bought one of their $5 passes for tomorrow so I can fish where I did last year, and kept getting limits.  It's going to be a cold one.  If you see a Shappel DX3000 out there say hi, I might have coffee and a hot sausage or something :)   If I strike out there, I'll go to Davis Hwy pond later. 
- Joe

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #478 on: Feb 18, 2021, 07:15 PM »
I fished Total Firearms pit behind their store.  Lots of fish in about 12' of water near downed trees along the edge!  No bites except for a BIG smallmouth that I couldn't keep.  A couple days ago I fished Davis Hwy pit in the evening.  Lots of small gills.  A keeper every 5 or so.  I wasn't bored.  They shut down at about 7:00 PM  I dropped my cell phone down the hole when leaning over to get some brats cooking on my Hunting Buddy heater into 20' of water :(   Not my best night.  Seriously.  This is my worst year ice fishing ever, and I'm old.  But it's not over! 
- Joe

Offline compli123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #479 on: Feb 18, 2021, 07:51 PM »
I hear ya Joe. I'm not too sure I can negotiate all the snow and my 80 lbs of gear and sled so I'm waiting for those younger guys to blaze trails for me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.