Author Topic: Ice fishing in Maryland Regional area  (Read 6592 times)

Offline bobby11vd

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice fishing in Maryland Regional area
« on: Dec 08, 2010, 03:38 PM »
Avid fisherman here...just relocated to Maryland area and as the weather begins to turn, I'm looking for anyone who does hardwater. Love to ice fish and just trying to find any other fisherman/or woman who knows the lay of the land for the winter. Hope to hear something from someone...til then i'll watch the thermometer.   :tipup:

Offline Scott Beitzel

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice fishing in Maryland Regional area
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2010, 09:08 PM »
what part of md are you looking at i live in western md.

Offline Getthenet

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It's all a part o' fishin, son.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2010, 02:30 PM »
bobby,

Welcome to Maryland.  Not much ice east of Greenbriar Lake in Washington Co. east of Hagerstown.  Deep Creek Lake gets the early ice, should be good around Christmas.  Rocky Gap Lake near Cumberland gets ice usually in January same with Blairs Valley and Greenbriar in Washington Co.

Most lakes have blue gill, Crappie and some hold over trout.  Deep Creek has it all, perch, wally, big pike, big bluegill, some trout and an occasional small mouth and large mouth.  Good Luck Happy Fishing
Got any Maggots?

Offline shanedoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2010, 05:54 PM »
Good to hear from you GTN!!

Offline Scott Beitzel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2010, 07:25 PM »
hello there gethenet i just got into ice fishing last year with an older fella up the road from me we spent alot of time up around green glade and turkeyneck areas .
i very much enjoyed myself and am waiting for the ice to get thick lol.
are you from the lake area.

Scott

Offline Polar Bear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2010, 02:31 PM »
Good to hear from you Boyd .....see you soon

Offline Getthenet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2010, 05:09 PM »
Scott,
Grew up in Frostburg, went to GCC and WVU long time ago.  Now, my wife has a house with lake access in Swanton.  She lets me stay there to make sure the pipes don't freeze, take out the trash and do her laundry.  It's worked out pretty well for the last 26 yrs.  I am chompin' at the bit.  Temps should have safe ice this weekend.

Shanedo,
Been workin' my arse off at my rental house in Columbia, MD.  No internet access, there.  Finally came to Boonsboro tonight with some.  Went to see Lilmat over Thanksgiving.  He gave me a great deal on some gear.  If you and him wanna fish a weekend let me know.  (You'll have to leave Icematt at home ;D, nah, he is welcome.)  If he feels bad he can chill at the house.

Polarbear,
I will be up this weekend.  Then over Christmas, so just let me know.
Got any Maggots?

Offline Scott Beitzel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:29 PM »
sounds like a good trade gtn my buddie told me there was a fella already out on the ice there in mchenery cove that would have been friday.
i don't think the ice is thick enuff for me yet lol.
but have been sorting through gear seeing what else i need to get or what the wife will let me have lol.
maybe we will run into each other sometime on the ice .
i'm building me a sled shack right now if it all comes together i should have it done in a week or so.

Scott

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:00 AM »
Glad to see you back on here Boyd. When you see Garrett, tell him Mr. Ken said Hi.
Ken                                          

Offline Getthenet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2010, 11:26 AM »
Ken,
Yea, thanks.  Hope to see him this weekend.  He should have the freezer full of venison by now so I'm sure he's itchin' like the rest of us.
Tight lines.
Boyd
Got any Maggots?

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2010, 12:44 PM »
Bobby, sometimes areas East of the ones mentioned above freeze for awhile in January.  I remember people icefishing on the Eastern Shore years ago.  Best bet is to go west or North into PA, so make sure you save enough money for both licenses  ;)

Now, my wife has a house with lake access in Swanton.  She lets me stay there to make sure the pipes don't freeze, take out the trash and do her laundry.  It's worked out pretty well for the last 26 yrs.

Hey, does she have a sister?  LOL  (don't tell the wife that I said that  :whistle: )

How ya doin' Boyd???

Wow guys, the ponds around my house are locking in, so it won't be long now.  I'm optimistic for a cold dry winter :thumbsup:

Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline Getthenet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2010, 01:12 PM »
Hey FatBoy,

I hate ya but I love ya, ever since you got me started on ice fishin.  Reports today say 6 inches on the back coves of Deep Creek and making more.  Hope to see you sometime.

Boyd
Got any Maggots?

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2010, 03:34 PM »
Hey FatBoy,

I hate ya but I love ya, ever since you got me started on ice fishin.  Reports today say 6 inches on the back coves of Deep Creek and making more.  Hope to see you sometime.

Boyd

It's perty darned addicting, ain't it???   :woot:  Yeah, I'll be up this year.  I might be doing a few longgggg day trips too if the weather is right.  Heck, if I can get up to the Pack in PA for a day trip, then I sure as heck can hit Deep Creek!
Kevin Wilson

Offline icematt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2010, 03:56 PM »
Ice fishing house party at GTN's this winter. We'll get drunk and sleep on the floor.

Offline Polar Bear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2010, 07:30 PM »
Ice fishing house party at GTN's this winter. We'll get drunk and sleep on the floor.

NICE

Offline Scott Beitzel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2010, 09:52 PM »
i'll bring the homemade wine.   lol

Scott

Offline Getthenet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2010, 06:22 AM »
Icematt,

Spoken like a true Mountaineer!!  Let's GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  MOUNTAINEEEEEEEEEEEERR RRRRSSSSS!!

Scott,
Love me some Homemade Wine!!
Got any Maggots?

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2010, 08:22 AM »
...an' a Country Boy can survive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kevin Wilson

Offline Scott Beitzel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2010, 09:31 PM »
would ya's prefer grape or dandyline .
wondeerrful stuff . even if i do say so myself lol.

Scott

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2010, 07:43 PM »
Same here, Just moved here not long ago. If you're looking for someone to go with on a weekend let me know. I live near Baltimore but willing to drive where ever. I wont be open to go will probably mid January. But let me know.
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Offline Floater

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep your pole off the ice
« Reply #20 on: Dec 20, 2010, 06:49 AM »
Not sure about the legality of it, but the C & O Canal had 3" of ice on it in the Dickerson area.

In two hours we tried, the fish didn't cooperate though. Good luck if you get out.

Offline Scott Beitzel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 20, 2010, 01:15 PM »
now you guys got me wanting to go will have to amke a couple phone calls and see if i can get a pal rounded up to go .
then make a trip to get some minnows and spikes for the trip .

will let ya know whats happening if i get  to go .

Scott

Offline treeguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 20, 2010, 10:44 PM »
that is just to funny   ;D  the C&O

Hope this season is a long one..I will be hitting the ice often in search of the tug
A slip of the foot you may soon recover, but a slip of the tongue you may never get over..Ben  Franklin

Offline orange pants

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 20, 2010, 11:51 PM »
Just found this forum today.I live in Washington County and have been ice fishing this area for many years.I usually fished the Washington  County lakes and nearby lakes in Pa.I'll probally start fishing when the ice gets thick enough at Rocky Gap state park.I mostly tip up fish for bass and pickeral and fish for trout when they are stocked for ice fishing.

Offline Scott Beitzel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 21, 2010, 09:11 AM »
welcome to the shanty orange pants.
great fun and tons of info here .

Scott

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 21, 2010, 11:42 AM »
Hey you guys that just moved here, check out the reports and conditions pages for both MD and PA.  Usually there's directions or something that will help you out on the first post of each thread.  If you have any questions feel free to post them or shoot me a PM.
Kevin Wilson

Offline bobby11vd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 25, 2010, 05:28 PM »
To all that responded to my initial post, thanks alot for the info and knowledge. Got up to NY this past week and got on some hardwater. Got a few lmb, gills, and crappie...nothin to brag about though. Back in MD now and the itch to get back out is unbearable.

Hope to hear from anybody that is on the ice now...I saw some of the reports and ice conditions, looks like conditions are starting to get solid and people are getting out. Any info of when guys are going will be much appreciated, I hope to get out with some of you and learn the ropes in the MD, PA, and WV areas.

I have heard great things about Deep Creek Lake...I hope to get out there more than a few times this year...

SROBOCOP...I don't live to far from the baltimore area so stay in touch and I am willing to travel in any direction to catch fish anytime of year.

Thanks again for the info everyone look forward to this season and everyone's stories! MERRY CHRISTMAS...hope everyone got some new gear under that tree.  :tipup:

Offline Sikaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's all about the angle of the dangle!!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 27, 2010, 08:50 AM »
There are plenty of good places to fish hard water in MD   Around the baltimore area. I am going to martins lagoon today I heard they started there. Anywhere on the west side of conowingo resivore is also good those big hills keep the sun off. That will be where I go next week slab heaven!!!

Offline bobby11vd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 31, 2010, 01:16 PM »
SIKAMAN,

When you are reffering to Martin's Lagoon...are you referring to the Martin's Airport off of Wilson Point Rd/Martin Blvd across from Kingston Point Park?

Offline bobby11vd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 07, 2011, 05:30 PM »
Any news or reports from anybody? Trying to get out in the southern PA area or anywhere East of Hagerstown within the next week...anyone been on the hardwater recently? If so where at and how goes it?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.