Author Topic: Little beaver lake  (Read 3307 times)

Offline buzzr

• IceShanty Rookie
Little beaver lake
« on: Jan 20, 2010, 02:32 PM »
Well they finally stocked Little Beaver today,I watched them unload the truck in the mouth of the little creek,at the beach area,where there was an area that was not frozen. The main lake is still frozen,only a couple inches around the edges, but open in the upper end for a ways.Normal stocking for Jan. Rainbows,golds and a few larger brookies. Hopefully it will get cold enough next week to refreeze enough for icefishing.
GOD BLESS

Offline gwebb

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Little beaver lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2010, 04:47 PM »
I rode over after work and didn't have time to fish. I might check out the ice thickness Friday evening with a plank. The edges looked pretty good on past the handicap pier. Not for sure how safe it is though, looks like white ice on top but still may have 3 or more inches of clear ice underneath. If thats the case, I might risk a dunking Friday evening or Saturday.

Offline buzzr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2010, 05:10 PM »
 Dont think i will try it till we get another cold spell. If you go out be safe , them little trout aren"t worth a wet butt.
GOD BLESS

Offline buzzr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2010, 03:44 PM »
The ice at Little Beaver was in better shape than i thought. Fished  up the lake from the shelter,one spot was still frozen all the way to the bank.2 1/2 inches hard ice  with about that much or more white ice. Dont know how long the ice will last,was getting a little soft when i left. Fishing was real slow today, caught a couple trout,a crappie and a small channel cat. Might try again tomorrow after church, if it isn't raining too bad.
GOD BLESS

Offline gwebb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2010, 04:56 PM »
Haven't had a chance to get out there yet. Heopfully this cold snap coming at the end of the week with help out. Where there many other people out there on the ice??

Offline buzzr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2010, 05:03 AM »
There was  10 or 12 people fishing,but not very many fish caught.   
GOD BLESS

Offline gwebb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2010, 08:34 PM »
I rode over today after work, On the shelter side at the first picnic table past the shelter it looked to still have pretty decent ice. I was in my work clothes so I didn't venture out on the ice. Busted one place 6" away from the bank and it was only around 1.5" thick but was only another foot to the old ice which went all the way across the lake. I'm hoping with the temps near single digits the next few nights it will be safe by Sunday. I'm going to try and make it over there then and see.There is a good bit of open water on the lake though. Be safe if you do venture out.

Offline gwebb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2010, 07:28 PM »
Made it over there this afternoon, fished from 3pm to almost 6pm. Ice is right at 3" thick. Caught and released 9 crappie and 4 trout. If you do go be careful, there are some thin spots that just froze back over in the last few days. 

Offline buzzr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2010, 04:58 AM »
I fished Little Beaver yesterday,they were biting good from 8 till 1130 .Had to leave for a little while and came back 230. Not biting as good but did catch 4 or 5 more. The snow was melting some so there was some water and slush in places,but around the banks was still frozen good and solid.Going to try it again today.
GOD BLESS

Offline gwebb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2010, 04:10 PM »
I fished it from around 11:30 until 2:30, bite was pretty slow, caught 2 trout, 2 crappie and one gill. Didn't mark near as many fish on the Vex as I did Sunday afternoon. The ice was an inch thicker today compared to Sunday. The extended forecast looks good for the ice for maybe the next two weeks.

Offline buzzr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2010, 05:00 AM »
I was out there  yesterday also. Done pretty good early,then really slacked off later in the morning.Guess i saw you there, I was the one with the shack,I left around 1:30.
GOD BLESS

Offline gwebb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2010, 05:54 PM »
You didn't miss much after you left. I was pulling the black jet-sled. Just got back a few minutes ago, iced 5 decent rainbows, 1 gill and 1 crappie. With the weather forecast I believe the ice is going to keep growing, the whole lake will probably be fishable in a few weekends. Got some nice temps forecasted in the low teens next week.  ;D Tight lines and be safe.

Offline buzzr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2010, 04:02 AM »
Hope it froze up good overnite,was getting sloppy on top when i was out yesterday. I caught 4,with one nice 16 inch brook.
GOD BLESS

Offline gwebb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2010, 06:58 PM »
Made it back over there this afternoon. Around 5 or 6"" of slop on 4" of ice but it is freezing up pretty good. Just have to be careful, I stepped in one hole chopped with an axe, went in almost up to my knee, thought I was going for a swim. Missed a few, caught 5 rainbows. Hopefully the sun will forget to come up in the morning and it will stay around 10 degrees all day.  ;D Tight Lines and Be Safe. 

Offline gwebb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2010, 03:31 PM »
Anyone got any info. on the ice?? I was there Monday and it was getting soft in places, was really easy to auger through. Just wondering if it is still safe. I heard they put around 1800 lb. in today. I guess I will try it out in the morning and see. Tight Lines   

Offline buzzr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 05, 2010, 09:20 PM »
Gwebb, I was there today and helped to carry the fish to the lake. Stocked them all down at the dam. The driver told me they had around 8oo pds,and i know we didn't carry 1800 pds of fish. The ice had frozen back pretty hard the last couple days but the snow on top was getting pretty slushy when i left. Ther were lots of holes  cut around the dam area and it seemed to hold up pretty good . Good luck to ya!
GOD BLESS

Offline gwebb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2010, 09:43 PM »
LOL, I've been lied to the last few days >:(, a cousin told me they stocked Paint Creek yesterday so I rode down there after work, hooked one on the first few casts and it got off, thought I was going to have a good outing, that was the only hit I got in two hours. I talked to another buddy who had a friend over at LBSP today and he said it was around 800 lb. also. I'll be somewhere on the ice around 7 in the morning, can't decide on LBSP or James P. Bailey. Word is they put a few 7-9 lb. brooders in there and that the ice is in as good a shape as LBSP. Too bad it won't last much longer, I highly doubt it will last through next week.  :'( 

Offline buzzr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 06, 2010, 05:18 AM »
Yea I heard they put some hogs in at James P. I'm like you I doubt if the ice hangs on much longer.
 My mother is sick and in the hospital so i don't know if i will get to fish this wknd or not.
GOD BLESS

Offline gwebb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2010, 06:10 PM »
Heard last night LBSP has around 10" of ice and a few leftover trout are being caught, might take a trip out that way tomorrow.

Offline buzzr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2011, 11:04 AM »
I went out by ther friday, saw one person fishing. Didn't get to check the ice thickness
GOD BLESS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.