The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: eating yellow perch  (Read 2617 times)

Offline oldskidoo

• IceShanty Rookie
eating yellow perch
« on: Jan 21, 2024, 06:51 PM »
It is not exactly a New Years resolution but I will be eating a yellow perch this winter if the opportunity arises. I have managed to get through 69 years without eating one but I am really trying to be open to new experiences.
There is not much chatter about grubs anymore but what should I be watching for?

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: eating yellow perch
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2024, 07:10 PM »
Perch are a great eating fish. After filleting, if you find what looks like a yellowish dot, about 1/4 to 1/3 the size of a grain of rice, just pick it out with your knife point and get ready to cook as usual. I enjoy eating them and have picked out many; they are easy to see if you hold the fillet up to the light. Don't worry about any of the black specs that look like ground pepper, either. If a fish happens to be loaded with them, then it ends up as compost rather than dinner. 2-3 in a fillet are no big deal in my opinion.
Any perch between 8 and 12 inches is a keeper for me. The smaller ones can be a pain to clean but they are super firm and fry up great with your favorite coating.
Do a search on YT for "Rogers Rigs" as he loves his perch and makes a good case for keeping the smaller ones. I think it's on his video about cleaning them by beheading them first.
Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2024, 08:21 PM »
People freak out about perch here. The really are good. Not sure why they have a bad rep up in that part of the world.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2024, 08:35 PM »
after many years of feeding the eagles i was reading  about a diner in NH and comerical fishing for them a few year back i  started to eat them and found out what a quaility fish they are  I keep them all and highly recomend all others fillet and try them .

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2024, 08:40 PM »
Perch are prime eating and you can just ignore the grubs, they are harmless and have no effect on the meat.  You probably eat thousands of other parasites and microorganisms that you just can’t see.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2024, 05:01 AM »

In many states West of Maine, yp are a sought after delicacy and restaurants serve them for upwards of $18.95 and entree. Many folks catch them as supplementary income and even as a winter occupation. Tough job!!! Some serious guys catch as many as several hundred pounds in a day. My best day, years ago was 250#. I think I got $1.10# for them. These are local Maine and virtually grub free. No safe ice there, yet

Yellow perch are, to me, on the top of the freshwater best eating fish. Happily I have found a few places where that yellow grub is not or is a rare presence. Yellows are the firmest of freshwater fish too, which lends them to excellent "poor man's shrimp". For the "shrimp", fillet and remove skin. Cut the fillets into finger food size pieces. Get some water boiling. Enough so the the water temp doesn't cool much. Like a couple quarts to a pound. You want a consistent temp. I add a rounded tablespoon of Old Bay or the like and a lemon cut in half and squeezed. Bring to boil for a few minutes then add the perch for no more than !!!45 seconds!!!. Immediately drain and chill in ice water bath. Serve with cocktail sauce, maybe as an appetizer for some deep freind fillets. You shall not be disappointed!!! And they won't last long!!!!
  [/size]
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2024, 08:24 AM »
There is not much chatter about grubs anymore but what should I be watching for?

At 69 yrs, I don't think you have much to worry about from perch. Sometimes you can tell if the perch will be loaded w/ parasites by looking around their gills or if they are loaded w/ those black parasites.

Other stuff to watch out for is mercury + PFAS, but you'd have to eat alot of perch.  Google for more info.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2024, 08:49 AM »
Yellow perch are over $25 a pound here in Wisconsin.

Offline threewack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2024, 08:57 AM »
Perch are of the Darter family of fish as are Walleye as in cousins as in great tasting fish,I'm 62 and have eaten both for most of those years.Dont miss the opportunity any longer,its a great meal.

Offline Wallace3716

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2024, 05:50 PM »
I fish a cold water lake that is infested with yellow perch and when they become too much to fish around, I pull out a jig rod to harvest as many as I can.

I try to find a use for them so as not to waste them. Most of the perch are 6-11 inches, they overpopulate in the lake, get stunted.

My question is how small of a perch would you bother to filet? When I filet small ones I get tiny bones and it makes eating them not pleasurable. Should I invest in an electric knife if I’m trying to do 40-50 at a time?

I’ll check out Roger’s rigs as another poster mentioned. Any other processing tips?

Thanks guys, stay safe.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2024, 06:19 PM »
Hey Wallace, try skinning the smaller ones whole and then fry them. You can usually flake the meat right off the spine and ribs. That’s what I do with smaller ones when I want a meal of perch and can’t find any big enough to fillet.

Offline Wallace3716

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2024, 07:14 PM »
Thank you, I’ll give that a try. That’s how I would cook a trout on the smaller side, if I kept one.

Poor mans shrimp always intrigues me every time Joe posts it, I need to give that a try with some smaller ones too.

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2024, 08:00 PM »
I’ll filet down to 7.5”.  Once the filet is off, remove the skin. Then place the filet rib cage down and make a cut along the pin bones on the rib cage side, angle the knife under the rib meat and on top of the ribs to separate the rib meat from the rib cage.  Do the same on the other side but you’re only going down and slightly away from center at the end (basically filleting off the pin bones vertically).  This removes the rib cage AND pin bones and you loose .001% of your meat.  A little extra effort for boneless filets. Just baked these.

Offline Nitz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2024, 11:45 AM »
I thought OP was joking at first.  Perch and Walleye (same family) are some of the best eating fish I have ever had - they are both highly sought after here in WI.  Now White Perch, which is a different family of fish, is a different story.

I can think of at least two people who do not typically eat fish, but who will order Perch if out on a Friday night and the restaurant/bar has some - it usually does not last long into the evening.

"...feeding the eagles...." with Perch?  Wow.  This would most definitely get a reaction of some sort from the other fisherman on the lakes I fish - perhaps not a great one.

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2024, 01:17 PM »
I like to leave my left over bait for critters (birds of prey and otters) but the State says you must dispose of bait on land. :-(

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2024, 04:40 PM »
When fishermen leave a few small perch or shinners the eagles ,crows and Ravens love them and all camp owners enjoy seeing the Birds. yesterday we left two small perch on ice and Camp owners on Little sebago were pleased to see 7 Bald eagles and Ravens out their at once

Offline tonyjackson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2024, 05:08 PM »
I'll take yellow perch over white perch, but I'll take crappie over anything I've caught in Maine.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2024, 06:22 PM »
My preference is white perch, crappie, then yellow perch. That's if I catch then through the ice or in very cold water. I won't eat yellow perch from warm water.

Offline Wallace3716

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2024, 08:01 PM »
A lot of people will drive a lot of hours this weekend to fish at a derby at a premier salmon lake in the county. They will spend a lot of money on gas, equipment, lodging, booze, premium smelts for bait, etc.

Then that first flag will go up and a 6” yellow perch will take out 20’ of line choking on their 5” smelt and they will say bad words.

I think part of the disgust and resentment of yellow perch in Maine stems from that type of situation, not their quality as a food fish.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2024, 08:12 PM »
My preference is white perch, crappie, then yellow perch.also ,I stay away from lakes of high Mercury count, Like Sabbatus.

Offline gunn308

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2024, 08:38 PM »
The problem is not the perch it's the ingrained generational mind set that anything other than Trout and Salmon are trash fish. Yellows, at the bottom of the scale like hornpout, can be a little gross lookin in the summer with the grubs and Joe next door says their wormy.

"Oats that have already been through the horse are always cheaper than oats that haven't"

Online badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2024, 08:41 PM »
Yet here in NY yellow perch are what we chase
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2024, 07:17 AM »
A lot of people will drive a lot of hours this weekend to fish at a derby at a premier salmon lake in the county. They will spend a lot of money on gas, equipment, lodging, booze, premium smelts for bait, etc.

Then that first flag will go up and a 6” yellow perch will take out 20’ of line choking on their 5” smelt and they will say bad words.

I think part of the disgust and resentment of yellow perch in Maine stems from that type of situation, not their quality as a food fish.

I agree.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2024, 07:35 AM »

Gonna be there fishing March 6-7. Targeting Yellow Perch on Long and Cross!
 I hope the darn salmonids don't become a nuisance!!!
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 24, 2024, 09:06 AM »
A friend of mine used to fry his pickeral and small perch in Vinegar and he said   it disolved the bones.

Offline kraz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 24, 2024, 09:16 AM »
caught a bunch of yellow perch yesterday
Fish tacos fro dinner tonight

Kraz
Dan Kraz

Offline Wallace3716

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 25, 2024, 07:14 PM »
Gonna be there fishing March 6-7. Targeting Yellow Perch on Long and Cross!
 I hope the darn salmonids don't become a nuisance!!!

You can always feed the eagles a 3lb salmon when it gets in the way of your perch harvest.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 25, 2024, 07:34 PM »
Ive had a Coyote we shot in Garden as  ground wAs to hard for bury process ,a Bald eagle and Ravens and crows were sharing with a turkey vulture ,a day later a Golden showed up and shared with Bald eagle  20' away i have a row of white perch filleted carcesses now crows and ravens are eating perch,  and Golden eagle and Bald eagle  working on Coyote , Ive never seen a turkey vulture around in winter until March 17th.

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 26, 2024, 08:14 AM »
You can always feed the eagles a 3lb salmon when it gets in the way of your perch harvest.

Honestly made me laugh out loud. Love it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.