The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Extending the ice fishing season  (Read 2080 times)

Offline nativetrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Best time of the year!
Extending the ice fishing season
« on: Mar 29, 2018, 08:28 AM »
Has anyone heard if the ice fishing season in Northern Maine is going to get extended like last year?

Offline teampar

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Extending the ice fishing season
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2018, 08:41 AM »
I heard from a warden this week that they will not be extending this season. Apparently there is going to be a bill proposed this year to make that possible when conditions arise beginning next season. Apparently they were not supposed to do it last year without it being voted upon.

Offline Trout4evah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2018, 08:58 AM »
I heard from a warden this week that they will not be extending this season. Apparently there is going to be a bill proposed this year to make that possible when conditions arise beginning next season. Apparently they were not supposed to do it last year without it being voted upon.

bangor daily just posted an article online confirming what the warden had told you. I know one person who will be happy about this. My wife.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2018, 12:15 PM »
My take. Have ice fish it. Have open water fish it.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2018, 12:59 PM »
My take. Have ice fish it. Have open water fish it.

There is 3 feet of ice on the lakes here and we'll, if lucky, be trolling in mid-May. 

The concern is the protection of wild and native fisheries.  Whether you agree with that or not. 

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline TwoLightsKid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2018, 01:37 PM »
Seems to me they could mostly eliminate the concerns about protecting wild and native fish if they allowed fishing but made it artificial lure only and catch and release for the desired species, similar to what they do in the fall in Southern Maine. 

Offline btcandj2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2018, 04:06 PM »
Catch and release has a higher mortality rate than just shutting it down.  We can wait.

Offline Fish2kill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 30, 2018, 10:11 PM »
Catch and release has a higher mortality rate than just shutting it down.  We can wait.

I do believe the methodical destruction of natural waterways causes a much higher mortality rate than either. Dams have destroyed a lot of maines fisheries and in some cases entire species. They're restricting the wrong folks. As usual.
A skeleton walks into a bar and asks for a beer and a mop

I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.

The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall.

Happy fishing!

Offline Steamingholes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 31, 2018, 05:15 AM »
Everything should be regulated as artificial or sewn on bait. A study on Winni showed 75% mortality rate on salmon released caught with live bait

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 31, 2018, 06:03 AM »
Everything should be regulated as artificial or sewn on bait. A study on Winni showed 75% mortality rate on salmon released caught with live bait

How would they know that 75% died if they were released... assuming they aren't doing the float once released. I've caught many fish trolling shiners and released them successfully. One thing that I noticed are the numbers of fished that survived! (it was obvious they had been caught before) There is NO way trolling live bait versus a lure with multiple treble hooks is any different, the fish are all predominately hooked in the mouth and not in the gullet. The real problem was catch and release and people seeing the injuries of previously caught fish.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 31, 2018, 06:06 AM »
Heard we will be able to fish all year with NO HOOKS

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 31, 2018, 06:10 AM »
Heard we will be able to fish all year with NO HOOKS

That's the plan... hunting with no bullets and fishing with no hooks... no one gets hurt!

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 31, 2018, 07:56 AM »

I would love to see that article if you still have it, or know where you read that.

I know a few years ago a very high percentage of the salmon in winni were found to have hook wounds when they netted the fish at the end of the year.

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 31, 2018, 08:34 AM »
I would love to see that article if you still have it, or know where you read that.

I know a few years ago a very high percentage of the salmon in winni were found to have hook wounds when they netted the fish at the end of the year.

What would one expect when more people are practicing catch and release??? There is no article that I can find. What is a fact is that many people fished Winni successfully using live bait, but made the mistake of releasing their fish to be used against them! Soon we'll be fishing with hookless lines... don't want to hurt the fishys!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 31, 2018, 10:01 AM »
Or we can go the other way like Germany, must keep all legal fish caught, catch your limit and go home for everyone!  We have enough of PETAs bs. As an animal lover I do stand behind what they do most of the time, but they extend their reach too far.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.