Author Topic: NEW ICE RUNNER SHELTERS.  (Read 17561 times)

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: NEW ICE RUNNER SHELTERS.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2017, 07:53 AM »
easy to load when empty lol.im not a fan of sleds with low sides and don't like the rear door only to have to step over all my gear to get inside ,dont really like the sunroof either.cool idea but sunroof could crack and when  snowing its useless and a good spot for a leak to form.weight wise I like tho.just my worthless opinion.

Offline joemx1825

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2017, 08:12 AM »
obviously to get to that low weight they did considerable trade-offs, watch the first video when he steps into the house, look at how flimsy that floor is!  Probably not a big deal if all you do is pull the house out of a truck bed and place it on the ice, but when they show it being towed across the ice, I suspect you'll see the floor wear through pretty quickly..then what do you do?

Another thing is when somebody says it's "Thermal" you really need to pay attention to the Denier count, this is only 600, so it's on par with the cheapest thermal models of the other brands.

Kudos for these guys trying to reduce weight, but i'm sure Otter, Clam and Frabill all want to reduce weight as well, but they won't sacrifice the sled durability to do it...

Offline Firefightertom32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2017, 08:28 AM »
That thing is a joke in that price range
Some people want light weight and its nice to see someone offering it, but to put it at the range of other name brand that are much better quality i see it being a dud. Now drop it in price a couple hundred and i think it could do well.
Hug a firefighter and feel warm all over.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2017, 08:58 AM »
It's pretty easy to cut weight with a flimsy, low profile sled and no integrated seating.  ::)
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2017, 09:23 AM »
Yea its a nice nitch, but then you have to carry chairs and the low sides is a real bummer since i think its how most of us carry our gear out. For the guys with the sled mounted on the actual snowmobile is a great option probably. Its a cool house, just not for me. 

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 13, 2017, 01:42 PM »
too expensive for the quality/features and I would likely slip and die once stepping on that sled lol

The big/tall windows are a nice feature however

Catchin' Fish

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 14, 2017, 01:16 AM »
Holy jaw drop on the price!  Cool though.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Tackle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2017, 09:24 AM »
Rear door only sucks. I have a sled full of gear when I go out, so I'd have to unload it all or most of it when getting set up. And then drag snow in the sled to make it slippery.
See you on the ice!

Offline spam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2017, 09:52 AM »
I am with everyone else crazy price you could get a nice otter for a little bit more money!
Looks like chuck is taking old one eye to the optometrist!

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2017, 09:54 AM »
Never, ever...ever make a major purchase from a small start up. Just don't do it. Let the schmucks make the first purchases and see if the product sticks.

90% of all start-ups fail. I sure as hell wouldn't want to drop $500-700 on a shelter only to have the company be gone when I needed replacement parts or some sort of service. And this thing doesn't set itself apart from anyone else, is priced higher than equivalents, and by the look of it is el cheapo build quality when the guy stepped in the sled.

Ice Gator is a perfect example. They built what a lot of people thought was a well made and dependable auger. Now look at all the people trying to find parts, get service help, etc. and they can't.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2017, 09:56 AM »
Like the idea and the tubular construction they've used looks sturdy, but I'm not one for shallow sleds. I get it, they cut weight, but I want to get all my gear in there without the threat of slush getting into the sled.

Offline mkrmpotich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2017, 03:26 PM »
Just wanted to comment back on some of the opinions that have been posted since I have been involved in the development of Ice Runner over the past 2 years and have actually used them the past 2 winters in Minnesota.

Ice Runner is a new brand of fish house under KMDA, Inc. You may own some of our other products better known in the industry as Baker Tools, Baker Lures, Inhaler, Opti Tackle, Lakco, Croxton Ice, or Angler's Choice. I just wanted to be clear that we aren't a start up company and plan on expanding on the Ice Runner Line in upcoming years.

First off, we understand that there is no perfect fish house that fits every person for every situation but what we have tried to do here is offer you a quality product at a fair price that is user friendly.

Upfront we expected push back because we have broken the mold on what a traditional sled house looks like,  but felt it had to be done.  Here are the big changes.

Back Door Entry - Why step over your holes, slippery ice and your vexilar? I have found that entering out the back is much easier. I leave my auger outside along with anything I don't need in the house. In fact, the only thing in the sled is my rod bag.  The minnows, rod holders, vexilar, heater and beer, all sit on the ice and never have to be moved. Others have offered a back door, but it is very difficult to exit with fixed seating, a small door and high profile sled. We fixed all that.

Low Profile Sled - We wanted something light that one person could handle. The 2 man house only weighs 48 lbs. It will fit in just about any vehicle.  The 3 man weighs 68 lbs and can fit in a van.  Both sleds still store all your equipment, since we didn't install fixed seating you have much more available surface space on the sled. The sleds are lighter so they don't have the drag of the deep sleds. They are much better in slush. FYI- thickness of the sled is equal to the competitors sled. We didn't want you to have issues, because then we have issues. I would still install hyfax if you are going to tow behind a sled or 4 wheeler, because over time any sled will wear out.

Weight - I have watch a ton of people struggle with larger sled houses at the lake. From slush, to loading. There are many elderly or families that would own a sled house if they were lighter but instead have purchased a pop up. Now they have another option of a light, workable sled house.

Vertical Windows/Sunroof - We felt that letting more light in for a longer period of time was an advantage. I fish daylight to dusk on LOTW and the windows were great for that. If you like to tip up fish out of your house, they are awesome for that as well. We also give free replacement windows. If they crack, send them back and we will send you new ones.

Sled Cover - We included it with the house for free, to keep any slush out, and put a middle zipper on it so you have access to all your gear when scouting for fish.

Cost - The 2 man Explorer sells at most locations at $449. It has 72" of height due to our patented 3 pole system. Nobody does that at that price. 600 Denier kept me warm on LOTW at minus 18 last year with a small Cabelas heater. I had to remove my jacket. The Expedition is a 3 man that offers 33.83 sq feet of fishing space and sells for $549. The largest Clam offers 34 sq feet and the largest Otter offers 35 sq feet, both at $999. So we feel we have a value for the guy looking for a 3 man house that doesn't mind grabbing a couple of folding chairs or 5 gallon buckets for a short sit.

Again, these houses are just hitting market now, so very few angler's own them. We feel we have something special and if any of these new features or price points, meet your needs, please purchase one and happy fishing to all !!!!

Runnings Fleet Farm - Sportsman's Guide and many small retailers have these houses available for sale.

For more information go to   www.icerunnerhouses.co m

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2017, 04:11 PM »
Thank you for the information.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

sunniewally

« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2017, 04:58 PM »
I like the idea of the back door. chair is much better and lighter then most that come with a fish house. need to go outside makes it easier than having to climb over the depthfinder line minnows stove lantern ect. Haven seen any light weight houses that have a heavy tub. the idea is weight. looks like the poles are alot better then the old houses we used but still worked. the light weight and the insulated cover is better then the light canvass used on many houses. Should be a nice house imo. would like one like that.
I do like my bayrunner! that is a pretty decent house for me. plenty room for me but the bench seat does need a stadium seat for back support. nice you're totally enclosed and if you move just roll up your line get out and move. nothing to mess with. but they are more then 50 lbs.

Offline quackpot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 29, 2017, 05:04 PM »
I bought one with low sides a few years back. It was such a big mistake for me I sold it the same day and took a loss. I was never so happy to loose money.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2017, 05:48 PM »
I bought one with low sides a few years back. It was such a big mistake for me I sold it the same day and took a loss. I was never so happy to loose money.

If you’re going to make a comment like that, please explain yourself.  I read your comment and was left wondering “Why was it such a big mistake?” 

Thanks

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2017, 06:01 PM »
Just wanted to comment back on some of the opinions that have been posted since I have been involved in the development of Ice Runner over the past 2 years and have actually used them the past 2 winters in Minnesota.

Thank you for taking the time to reply back.

Looking at the video that was posted, the sled looks very thin. How well does that hold up over a season of being dragged?
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2017, 08:28 PM »
IMO...these shelters look pretty sweet. I like the hieght and especially the weight. They look like there durable for the weight and the insulted tent is huge.The rear entry full size door to me makes more sense. I have seen other shelters with rear and front doors but the rear doors were small or seating placement made the rear doors cumbersome to use.Last year I bought a frabil 2 man that weighs 50lbs but has an unisulated tent.mostly bought that particular shack because of the size and weight.....wished I had seen these shacks last year

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2017, 09:13 PM »
interesting

I wonder how will these fair in windy situations? 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline mkrmpotich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 30, 2017, 09:56 AM »
Thank you for taking the time to reply back.

Looking at the video that was posted, the sled looks very thin. How well does that hold up over a season of being dragged?

The sled held up well. The "runners" on it are very good and the thickness was equal to the competitors sleds. I had it 13 miles out on LOTW last year and also sight fished quite a bit out of it behind a sled. Really nice in slush, much less drag. Beat it up quite a bit. We don't expect to have any issues at all with the sled. However, I would suggest a hyfax kit on any sled that will be towed behind a wheeler or snowmobile.

Offline The_Pike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 01, 2017, 10:25 AM »
I picked up one of the houses last week after seeing them on display. I didn't know anything about the brand before the purchase but was sold pretty quickly on a few features, plus the price was right. I decided to look online to see what else I could find for info/reviews on them, and ended up here as there isn't too much out there about them other than the obvious promotional media. Figured I would add a few comments so others can find a little more too.

First, assembly took 30 minutes if not less and no additional tools needed! If you've ever put together a sled house you know the frustration, this was unbelievably easy. That earned them some positive comments.

Second, The weight is fantastic. I had an older Clam previously and dragging around or loading a 150lb "portable" kind of defeats the purpose to me. I'll be able to get this into a lot of little lakes I wouldn't dream of going with the old house. Sled seems thick and durable as well despite the weight savings of the lower profile. I think they chose the right type of plastic, other sleds have a hard plastic which is more susceptible to abrasion, this is more flexible so it can give a little rather than just scratch or gouge. Reminds me a bit of UHMW plastic which also self lubricates and is used in high wear parts for longevity.

I also really liked the true back door. I can hop in and out without tripping over gear, seats, or a high sled. Simple design and a perfect solution.

Not much negative to say at this time. Once I get some more time in we'll see, but they seem pretty quality- the fabric especially. It is nice to see another brand on the market that looks to be a competitor, good for us as consumers.

Offline Munuscongmark

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 02, 2017, 06:15 PM »
I'm from the upper peninsula of Michigan and fish munuscong bay a lot.
Personally I really like the idea of a lighter flip for the wife and I were not as young and strong as we used to be lol.
It will be so much easier for us to handle.
Even though I'm not as strong as I used to be , my love of ice fishing will never fade.
 So with that said , I'm going to get one and a set of hyfax runners and they offer a tow bar for them too ,see ya on the hardwater if ya come to the yoop.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #24 on: Dec 02, 2017, 08:03 PM »
I have been using a Frabill XL Twin for about 15 years now. It is roomy, has padded swivel seats and has enough room to stand for a stretch. It weighs 73 lbs and can be tough for an older guy to load into a pickup since it's pretty bulky to handle. These new units look good for someone like me. I think I would cover the bottom of the tub with a rubber backed piece of carpet. I have had a flipover without a front door and stepping into the bare plastic tub would be a great way to fall. For me it worked better to flip it for entering and exiting rather than using the back door which was small. My son who is much more limber than I preferred using the door. Considering the price and the fact that these units are insulated makes them attractive to me. I'm glad to see something new on the scene with a reasonable price.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline mkrmpotich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 06, 2017, 11:21 AM »
interesting

I wonder how will these fair in windy situations?

It holds up in windy situations just like any other sled house. It comes with 3 support poles that run through the middle of the house. With the sled being a little lighter we did put the "skirt" around the entire house, which allows you to bank the back if you would like. I would suggest this on windy days. We also have 4 eyes sewn onto the corners of the house so you can use ice anchors if you don't have enough snow to bank it in your area.

I had both houses at the Minneapolis Ice show last weekend for 3 days. I have to say the response was outstanding. Guys loved the weight of it and the back door entry. I also had a Explorer at the show that was folded down and full of gear. That was beneficial for customers to see because the small sled is misleading on what it will hold. Since I had it loaded down with an auger, rod bag, heater, 5 gallon bucket , vexilar and still had room for a propane tank and extra gear, it comforted some customers. It is amazing how much space you have when you eliminate the permanent seats along with the hardware necessary to mount them.  Just thought I would pass on some comments from the show.

Offline huntneiowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 15, 2018, 12:37 AM »
Was wondering if anyone else has purchased one and have any more input on it. I like the idea of the back only door and the no seats. I’d rather sit in a nice comfy camping {bag} chair with armrests and a drink holder! Anyone know where I could look at one out of the box and check it all out?

Offline Fishermanmn

• IceShanty Rookie
New ice Runner shelter by kmda
« Reply #27 on: Oct 09, 2018, 07:01 PM »
So I know alot of people are wondering about the ice Runner portables by KMDA. Here's what I've been doing to mine. I did sub out the sled it came with, because it seemed cheap in my opinion. And I really couldn't build my own fixed seating.

Hook em
      &
Cook em

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Oct 10, 2018, 07:34 AM »
Very nice job.  What sled did you use?
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Fishermanmn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Oct 10, 2018, 09:10 AM »
One of clams sleds for one of their flipovers got it for free awhile back because they drilled holes in the wrong spot. I've used it the past couple years to haul my hub and gear and it's still in awesome shape. And it just so happened to be perfect dimensions for the ice Runner shack.
Added 12v light system
360 swivel hunting chair
Mounted seat on plywood which is hinged on a milk crate to flip open.
Ingenuity at it's finest.
I will pull it out to take more pictures after whenever the rain stops here.
Hook em
      &
Cook em

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.