Author Topic: Tell me why I would need a clam auger plate  (Read 10746 times)

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tell me why I would need a clam auger plate
« on: Aug 17, 2018, 07:07 PM »
Could you please tell me why I would I need a Clam’s ice auger conversion kit for my Milwaukee drill motor and a Nils 8" auger?  Would it make it easier to drill or hold?  Does the gearing somehow protect the drill?  What are the benefits?

This past season, I used Nils auger adapter and the drill without the additional Clam product.  If the Clam conversion kit it beneficial, I would add it before the season starts.

Thanks!

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tell me why I would need a clam auger plate
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2018, 07:16 PM »
I believe the Clam plate that is for 8 inch augers has a gear reduction in it causing less wear and tear on the Drill. In my opinion the 8 inch augers are very hard on the drills not saying you cannot do it but it is tough on them. Also even with my 6 inch K -Drill the Plate is nice because you can hang on to it. I did not want to get one at first but the handle can rip off of the drill Milwaukee's a great drill but the handle is something to be desired. I used the 8 K drill and a lazer and with the 8 inch my wrists were so sore from torque that I had to get the plate I love it with the 6 inch Kdrill but plan on getting the Mora in a 6 for more battery life. Less torque. There should be a lot of info from others on here for you also. Hope you find the info you need.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 17, 2018, 07:23 PM »
I think? you’re referring to the Clam Plate.  While you don’t NEED it to use any auger with a drill, especially a Nils, some people are more comfortable using the Clam Plate.  It will also keep your drill off of the ice surface, and does make for a more comfortable, controlled hole drill imho.  You will need a separate adapter to connect the Nils Auger to the Clam Plate.  I use my Nils Auger attached directly to my Milwaukee Mud Mixer fwiw.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 17, 2018, 08:44 PM »
It’s overall more comfortable and ergonomic, which can equal being safer. You can get a nice grip with the plate handles, it’s better balanced, and takes the weight of the auger off the drill itself. Plus it makes it feel like your useing a regular power auger with the trigger lol.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #4 on: Aug 18, 2018, 04:05 AM »
I use my 8' Nils and 6" Finbore augers directly attached to my Milwaukee Drill.  Never felt the need to use any clam plate adapter.  Hang onto the drill is all.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Aug 18, 2018, 05:18 AM »
In the past few years there have been guys on this site injured when their augers catch at the bottom of a hole. This is one major reason why I am a big fan of the Clam auger plate. The new brushless drill technology is producing products that are capable of 1200+ in/lbs of torque and soon I believe they will produce 2000+ in/lbs of torque. This is easily enough power to break a wrist, tweak a shoulder or wrench your back, especially when it's cold out. While I personally love the light weight and power of the drill auger set ups I do respect the 1200 in/lbs of torque my Milwaukee makes.  I also think the plate takes stress off the drill motor by having it mounted down solidly and transferring the power through the bearing on the plate. It gives more control while drilling and also helps keep your investment of drill and batteries out of the slush, water, snow and ice when you set it down. A hundred other guys will comment about how the plate is not needed, but I won't use a drill on a ice auger without one... Just not worth it, my 2c worth.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Aug 18, 2018, 05:28 AM »
The Clam Plate is not a gear reduction at all. There are some gear reduction plate made by someone on Ebay though.   It is called the Ice Kicker II I believe.
<===Lefty===

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Aug 18, 2018, 07:59 AM »
I didn’t see the benefit of the Clam Plate at first either but now that I’ve had one for a season I really like it for all the reasons mentioned.  It’s perfect for my 6” Nils when walking out.  I still have my 8” on the Tanaka.  I’m a big fan of that setup when pulling with the snow machine but the 6”/Clam Plate/Milwaukeeis a great combination.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Aug 18, 2018, 08:05 AM »
Full disclosure, i have never drilled a whole with a drill alone.

With that said, the plate had 2 key benefits for me. First, I have confidence that I can handle any kickback when the auger breaks through.

Second, the plate handle acts as a kickstand, keeping the drill off the ice/snow without having to send the auger unnecessarily into the ice to stand straight up

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Aug 18, 2018, 08:07 AM »
With my Milwaukee, I didn't use the drill's T-handle last year after my second time out since the casting broke where the handle screwed into the drill.  I replaced the drill, but I braced the motor against my jacket when I drilled holes for the rest of the season and didn't use the handle.

I know that I can use the auger without the plate.  I did that many, many times last year.  I do like the thought of keeping the auger safely out in front of me, away from my legs and feet, and I like the thought of not having to brace it so tightly.  Holiding two handles makes sense.  For me, it seems like the Clam plate is the way to go.  I just need to figure out how to connect the plate to my blue Nils 8".

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Aug 18, 2018, 10:29 AM »
In two words: you don’t.

However, it is a huge convienince. I bought my Clam plate after the casing broke where the auxilary handle attaches to the Milwaukee. I use an 8” lazer. I used just the drill for about 2 weeks (no handle and no plate) and found it to be easy to use still but I wanted some reassurance when drilling. The Clam plate, above all else for me, stabilizes the auger so there’s minimal chance of it jumping around. It also makes it much easier to handle (being you can use two side handles like a power auger). It also keeps your drill out of the snow and ice.

Another good thing about the plate is that I have zero worries of the auger detaching from the drill. No bolts flying around to catch on clothes. No frisbee disks taking up unnecessary space (I try to be as minimalist as possible while on the ice). It’s an all around safer way to use a drill for punching holes. I believe it to be Clams best product and I love mine. I also find that the plate helps with the learning curve of using a cordless drill for punching holes.

Is it 100% necessary? Not at all. Will it make drilling holes with a drill more comfortable and safer? Absolutely.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Aug 18, 2018, 12:21 PM »
The biggest reason I'll be buying one this season is so I can keep my drill out of the snow.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Aug 18, 2018, 12:48 PM »
Big fan of the Clam Plate here....I consider it like my Kahtoola Micro spikes ...don't really need them ...but if I did stumble/slip on the ice...the rest of my season would be not as smooth sailing...I have slipped on the ice... on one bare spot last season ...pulled some thigh muscles that I shouldn't have..little bit of a split action  ….twist your wrist w/o the Plate could be  painful jigging/healing process. Bumbles bounce I do not anymore .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Aug 18, 2018, 02:49 PM »
The Clam Plate is not a gear reduction at all. There are some gear reduction plate made by someone on Ebay though.   It is called the Ice Kicker II I believe.

On Clam's webpage, they recommend adding their "Conversion Kit Gear Box" to the plate if you're using 8" or 9" augers.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Aug 18, 2018, 03:29 PM »
I thought they did away with the gear reduction. Guess they figured it out now and are selling it again.
<===Lefty===

Offline ejdelvo28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Aug 19, 2018, 02:30 PM »
I find that it's so much nicer to have the plate.  It gives you the feel of a traditional ice auger, keeps the drill off the ice, and distributes the torque more evenly, thus allowing more holes to be drilled.  If you have the money, it's well worth the investment.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #16 on: Aug 19, 2018, 05:33 PM »
Could you please tell me why I would I need a Clam’s ice auger conversion kit for my Milwaukee drill motor and a Nils 8" auger?  Would it make it easier to drill or hold?  Does the gearing somehow protect the drill?  What are the benefits?

This past season, I used Nils auger adapter and the drill without the additional Clam product.  If the Clam conversion kit it beneficial, I would add it before the season starts.

Thanks!

1. Turns a drill setup into a power auger setup
2. Plate bolts to auger-no need to worry about drill chuck coming lose and auger going down hole.
3. Easier to hold/operate with hands. Helps keep wrist from getting hurt
4. Handle bars will keep drill off ice/snow/water when setting it down
5. A gear box can be on the clam plate which will give the drill 2x the tourque
6. The bearing helps keep the side tourque off the drill
7. No need to worry about the side arm breaking off the drill or slipping
8. Makes an easy change power head to run different size augers
9. Your in the clam plate club
10. The resell value if you ever want to sell it will be close to what you paid for it.

I use my clam plate for my 8in nils & 10in mora. One thing to check with your nils is how wide a hole it actually drills. My original nils red cutting head cuts an 8in hole. A used nils power point 8in cutting head I bought from a guy that was sharpened by Frank.....well it cuts an 8 1/2in hole. Not sure why but it does. So I don't use the nils drill adaptor plate with it because the stopper saucer is 8 1/2 in wide. With the power point head...it could go down the hole if I use the nils drill attachment. With it on the clam plate I have no worries.

When I'm fishing out of my one man Eskimo wide one inferno, I usually just take my old 725in lb Milwaukee drill & 6in lazer. I just have a drill plate adaptor on it. It allows me to fit more holes in the one man shack. Plus without an extention it fits in the tub of my one man shack. While drilling holes works fine with it, I tend to have to be a bit careful because it will catch and twist a guy's wrist. I don't use the side bar with it though.

I'm looking for a new clam plate with the gear reduction on it so turning the 10in mora is easier on my Milwaukee 1200in/lb drill. If I find one, the old clam plate with go on the 725in lb Milwaukee and 6in lazer.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #17 on: Aug 20, 2018, 09:05 AM »
If you run an extension, which up here in NE WI we needed to by last April, it's a great tool for gaining leverage on your auger.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #18 on: Aug 20, 2018, 11:28 AM »
I'm just going to toss my 2 cents worth in and say that there are those of us with physical problems that the Clam auger plate can help with. I have arthritis in both shoulders and if I were to go to a drill setup, I would go with the Clam plate. Just my $.02 worth.😉
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Aug 20, 2018, 12:31 PM »
I thought they did away with the gear reduction. Guess they figured it out now and are selling it again.

I just want to comment that the gear conversion box is not something available.  It's on their website but they won't have it unless they changed their minds since Friday.  I have physically talked to their fabricator and they won't be selling it anytime soon.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Aug 20, 2018, 01:19 PM »
If I was using anything larger than a 6" auger it would be on a clam plate with gear reduction - no way would I go without

Catchin' Fish

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Aug 20, 2018, 01:25 PM »
^^ +1
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #22 on: Aug 20, 2018, 07:28 PM »
I just want to comment that the gear conversion box is not something available.  It's on their website but they won't have it unless they changed their minds since Friday.  I have physically talked to their fabricator and they won't be selling it anytime soon.

I had emailed them asking about in inquiry about the gear box. They had replied saying non were in stock, but that they hoped to have a supply by fall/winter. Did this change?

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Aug 21, 2018, 07:13 AM »
no one has removed the gear box from their websites - basspro, cabelas, sportmans, etc.

Catchin' Fish

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Aug 21, 2018, 08:25 AM »
Dont need a gear reduction, just the normal clam plate works fine with a 8".  I have a 6" and 8" Mora for my setup.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Aug 21, 2018, 08:47 AM »
Never knew there was a gear reduction option. 1200"/lb Fuel and clam plate had no issues spinning 8" Mora last year

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Aug 21, 2018, 09:24 AM »
Never knew there was a gear reduction option. 1200"/lb Fuel and clam plate had no issues spinning 8" Mora last year
This topic always seems to amaze me. Some people don't realize that the clam plate and clam plate gear reduction setup are two different things. The original gear reduction setups were junk and they recalled them. Regardless, a reduction setup is not needed if you use an adequate drill even if you are using an 8in auger. Been using my 2704 with an 8in lazer for 3 years with no issues. Now, the clam plate is just the plate, no gear reduction and in my experience is very handy and worth the $60. For those that say they don't need, waste of money, etc just think they have bigger balls than the rest of us :) There are plenty of good things about the clam plate that make it well worth $60.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Aug 21, 2018, 09:45 AM »
This topic always seems to amaze me. Some people don't realize that the clam plate and clam plate gear reduction setup are two different things. The original gear reduction setups were junk and they recalled them. Regardless, a reduction setup is not needed if you use an adequate drill even if you are using an 8in auger. Been using my 2704 with an 8in lazer for 3 years with no issues. Now, the clam plate is just the plate, no gear reduction and in my experience is very handy and worth the $60. For those that say they don't need, waste of money, etc just think they have bigger balls than the rest of us :) There are plenty of good things about the clam plate that make it well worth $60.

Perfect, thanks for the history (and the good news)

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Aug 21, 2018, 09:53 AM »
I copied this from the Clam website, another good reason to use the plate:

"Recommend using high torque 18 volt lithium battery powered drills. Ball bearing absorbs the load from the auger so the drill is only used to spin the auger and not to support the auger torque, greatly extending the life of your drill. Attach your auger bit just like you normally would on a power auger.  No hassle, no worry setup, no loose bit falling out of the drill.  Just pull the trigger, drill and start fishing!"

I started using the drill setup without a Clam plate. I would brace the drill against my hip for when the blades would catch at the bottom of the hole so I wouldn't hurt my wrist or shoulder.
I now own a plate and use an 8" Fin Bore auger (same blades as the Strike Master Laser). I find it easier to drill the hole, way more comfortable and the blades do not get hung up at the bottom of the hole.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Aug 21, 2018, 10:08 AM »
Perfect, thanks for the history (and the good news)
Sorry Active Trapper, i didn't mean to quote your comment above. Just meant to respond to the thread. ha. sorry

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.