The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: desperation  (Read 1542 times)

Offline 187fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
desperation
« on: Feb 13, 2008, 07:01 PM »
i have read about 15 threads about what baits work the best for bluegills, you guys should try fishin a little bit no bait is going to make fish jump out of the ice so i think whatever your using is the best.  i have caught fish on all types of bait even no bait at all..  try using a small black fly and tie it on your line where you would use a split shot also use a small jig or teardrop as you would normally and you will be amazed at the number of  fish you catch on the fly rather than the waxie or hotdogs whatever you use ive also tried different color flies and nothing will perform as well i will tie up a couple and post the pic tommorow good luck

Offline Bgreen02

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: desperation
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2008, 07:44 PM »
Have you ever tried the rig where you have a tear drop on bottom and a fly a few inches up? Looking to try it next time I head out.

Team M.I.R.C Rock bass. It's whats for dinner.

Offline jjmoser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • give me cold temps and I'll keep em comming
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2008, 07:56 AM »
I believe that those hook ups in all variations are called a Michigan rig.  I use them quite often too.  I tie a tear drop on bottom with the fly up from it or a horizontal jig and a fly trailer at the bottom.  I have actually had fish bite my jig spit it out and as I went to set the hook caught the fish in the back with the fly.  Very useful tool as for bait I don't have a go to bait either usually what ever I have in my pocket at the time,..... waxies.

Offline fishybill

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • insidious
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2008, 09:33 AM »
yes that little black fly is awesome.  sometimes the bigger gills will hit that instead of the waxie.

I tie about 18" above my main jig/teardrop
"Put duct tape on that, if it don't fix it atleast we'll know its ...... up"

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2008, 09:50 AM »
i have read about 15 threads about what baits work the best for bluegills, you guys should try fishin a little bit no bait is going to make fish jump out of the ice so i think whatever your using is the best...... 

Good point but then what would we talk aboout?  ???  ::)  ::)

I could probably go out and catch fish on the old little russian hooks my dad used to make 50 years ago (if I dug 'em out of the retired fishin' stuff) but who wants ta fish with lures with just a little white and red paint on 'em when the jigs now-a-days come in a rainbow of colors and  then I wouldn't have the fun of walkin' the aisles at Gander Mt. and buyin' all that new stuff designed to catch fishermen.  :laugh:  :laugh:

Just lookin' at the paint jobs on on the Fiskas makes me giddy.  :laugh:  :laugh:

"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

Offline Mondo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2008, 11:05 AM »
Are you tying the fly directly to the main line or a dropper?
He who hesitates is lost!

Offline jjmoser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • give me cold temps and I'll keep em comming
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2008, 11:26 AM »
Are you tying the fly directly to the main line or a dropper?
I tie mine directly to the line with the fly on the bottom like a dropper or the fly on top of a teardrop.  In both cases I use a loop knot to finish the deal weather it be the fly or drop.  I suppose you could use a dropper too might give it more action.

Offline Icer for life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2008, 11:43 AM »
Hey 187

When you get a chance, post that picture, I think I got it, but sometimes when I think............well, you know.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2008, 01:09 PM »

this in a #16 wks but under a larger fly as a dropper.  been do'in it for years 8" under a "bright" fly.  black and red for me
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline Mondo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2008, 02:50 PM »
 No bait on fly?
He who hesitates is lost!

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2008, 07:01 PM »
no bait 90% of the time..killer!
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2008, 07:12 PM »
1/100oz jig with a Pheasant Tail Nymph tied on it is hard to resist. Wooly Worm, Hares Ear and Scuds don't do bad either.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.