The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Waxing ski's on homemade smitty sled  (Read 812 times)

Offline Mknott

• Team IceShanty Regular
Waxing ski's on homemade smitty sled
« on: Jan 21, 2019, 10:04 PM »
So I went to Willis Ski shop the other day and bought some puck wax for my smitty skis...how the heck do u apply this stuff??? It's so awkward. I melted it a bit, and when I apply it to the skis..the wax rolls into little balls and falls off. help
: )

Offline Ice.rat

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Waxing ski's on homemade smitty sled
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2019, 03:28 AM »
MKNOTT HAV'NT WAXED SKIS SINCE THE 70'S SINCE I DID SNOW SKI'S WITH MY BUDDIES BUT WE USED AN OLD IRON RAN IT OVER THE COMPLETE SKI TO SMOOTH IT OUT FIRST. THEN USED WAX FROM A SKI SHOP BY RUBBING IT ON WITHOUT TRYING TO MELT IT USING A GOOD AMOUNT OF PRESSURE . THEN IF NEEDED WE RAN THE IRON OVER AGAIN TO FILL IN THE GOUGES AND SCRATCHES UNTIL SMOOTH. YOU MAY HAVE TO REPEAT THIS SEVERAL TIMES.I DON'T KNOW WHAT KIND OF WAX IS OUT THERE NOW ,BUT IF IT WAS ME FOR JUST A SLED YOU MIGHT BE BETTER USING PARAFIN WAX YOU USE FOR CANNING I HAVE USED THIS FOR THE KIDS TOBOGGINS AND IT WORKS GREAT. ITS CHEAP AND EASY TO APPLY REMEMBER PUT SOME ELBOW GREASE WHEN APPLYING. YOU CAN USE A PIECE OF SUEDE OR SOFT LEATHER TO BUFF IT SMOOTH TO FINISH IT OFF.WE USED A THING THEY SOLD BACK IN THE DAY THAT BASICALLY DID THE SAME THING.

Offline Freytown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2019, 05:20 AM »
Ditto on the old iron and paraffin wax. I used old nylons to buff, just make sure your wife agrees there old before you use them, lol.  FT

Offline jlbrownie_1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2019, 05:47 AM »
I use a heat gun, after you pull your gear across roads, parking areas, beach areas, etc without snow that perfect wax job gets old.

Offline hard water jim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2019, 07:32 AM »
I use an old iron to melt the wax on and spread around. Once it sets up use a 4" spackle knife to scrape the excess off then lightly smooth with a Scotch bright pad. Sometimes I also just use car wax but that doesn't work as well.
If you think your going to have a bad day you will seldom disappoint yourself!

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2019, 04:35 AM »
You can also use spray furniture wax for a quick fix, it just doesn’t last more than a trip.
Keep yer worms warm!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.