Author Topic: 257-4-oreio ice and peeing dogs  (Read 2105 times)

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
257-4-oreio ice and peeing dogs
« on: Jan 29, 2023, 04:44 PM »
Alarm went off at 3 AM yesterday,  I was on the road 30 minutes  latter, 257 was the round trip miles,4 was the stops before finding conditions that suited my mood, oreo ice was the conditions we all found this weekend, and I'll get to the peeing dogs latter..
Made the drive to my favorite lakes region lake, plenty of ice, but the walking  to productive area would have been a death sentence, my next stop was just not something I was willing to chance alone, spot 3 looked like derby day,and honk Kong cityI dont do crowds  so I drive, spot 4 was quiet,  only one other set of anglers, oreo ice was sparce enough for decent walking, using my hand held GPS I picked  a bowl that had an average  depth of 22'.. I only jig when it's the best option, when I'm searching, traps rule,  white perch were my quarry so I set from 2 to 6'  off the bottom,with medium shiners, before I had the third trap in I had a flag, in short order I had a 3lb plus smallie on the ice, before I could reset, the second trap went off, another smallie, and so it went for about an hour, so I made a move to avoid these bait stealing scourges,I relocated on a point that had a sharp drop to 35 fow,in a short distance, I still caught few smallies, but I found the whites and yellows..I ran out of shiners at noon and baited with crawlers, until I limited out ,sometimes, location is more important than bait..I had a few guys move in on me  and jig on top of me,they went fishless I iced fish, they went home fishless, there is a time and place for everything,when they want meat, give it to them, you cant fake steak!..as for the peeing dog.. well I got visited by a couple on snow shoes walking  their dogs, a pair of catahoola leopard hounds, one lifted his leg on my trap,the guy was so embarrased, I told him he was just a dog being a dog.no harm, no foul.

Plenty of fish in the freezer now, we had baked small.mouth ( massive blood loss from a pierced gill raker)stuffed with crab meat for dinner.. we killed a bottle of Merlot.. we dont  do white wine in this house..

"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: 257-4-oreio ice and peeing dogs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2023, 04:54 PM »
Nice work my friend and great showing!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2023, 05:33 PM »
Well done Joe... way to hunt down a good location and find fish.

Glad those that crowded you went fishless... I am sure it was superior skill on your part, but I'd like to think karma helped too.

Nice Smallie too... much to your disdain...

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2023, 05:42 PM »
Well done Joe... way to hunt down a good location and find fish.

Glad those that crowded you went fishless... I am sure it was superior skill on your part, but I'd like to think karma helped too.
Nice Smallie too... much to your disdain...

I was annoyed  but sometimes jigging near bye makes them  horney. Even if they don't want to eat a hunk of plastic.. I'm too old to get ticked off anymore, now a days there is no more fishing educate, its hooray for me and screw you.
.I had 3 dozen shiners, boss lady  wanted white perch ' who am I to argue . feeding them to the mud lizards wasnt part of the plan.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2023, 05:49 PM »
Way to go Joe. Some nice fish there.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2023, 05:59 PM »
I was annoyed  but sometimes jigging near bye makes them  horney. Even if they don't want to eat a hunk of plastic.. I'm too old to get ticked off anymore, now a days there is no more fishing educate, its hooray for me and screw you.
.I had 3 dozen shiners, boss lady  wanted white perch ' who am I to argue . feeding them to the mud lizards wasnt part of the plan.
Can't argue with that - usually getting pissed only effects you and those you are pissed at move on oblivious. Not worth the rise in blood pressure.  Not limited to fishing either - it is everywhere.

Glad you could supply the boss with the catch of choice...

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2023, 06:04 PM »
Can't argue with that - usually getting pissed only effects you and those you are pissed at move on oblivious. Not worth the rise in blood pressure.  Not limited to fishing either - it is everywhere.

Glad you could supply the boss with the catch of choice...

Boss lady brines them in sea salt,check for pins, Pat's them dry and vacume seals them in meal portions..

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2023, 06:09 PM »
Well done Joe glad it worked out well for you. That's gold in my book
Salmonemia

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2023, 06:10 PM »
The crab stuffed Smallie sounds amazing.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2023, 06:16 PM »
Great report..congrats
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2023, 06:17 PM »
The crab stuffed Smallie sounds amazing.

I gut and gill and scale the fish, rinse  and pat dry, she makes a lump crab stuffing using stove top stuffing and mixes the crab in  body and head are salted and black  pepper sprinkle, the fish is then crusted in salt and baked at 350 fro about an hour...

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2023, 06:23 PM »
I gut and gill and scale the fish, rinse  and pat dry, she makes a lump crab stuffing using stove top stuffing and mixes the crab in  body and head are salted and black  pepper sprinkle, the fish is then crusted in salt and baked at 350 fro about an hour...

Mmmm! Hopefully it was a Smallie that wasn’t to loaded with pepper flakes of its own haha.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2023, 06:31 PM »
Mmmm! Hopefully it was a Smallie that wasn’t to loaded with pepper flakes of its own haha.

Clean.. not like those  inshore coffee used to get.

Offline Fishin_603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2023, 06:33 PM »
Good pile and way to show them up 😉

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2023, 06:52 PM »
Nice job getting them Joe looks like you'll be eating good for a few days! I heard if a dog pees on your trap it's good luck
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Rando5512

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather go fishin'!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2023, 03:19 AM »
Way to put the work in to
Find the right spot! Good day

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2023, 04:41 AM »
Fat yellow Joe. Nice work
Salmonemia

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2023, 06:42 AM »
Nice work Joe!
Fat yellow Joe. Nice work

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2023, 06:58 AM »
Always an adventure!  Nice haul despite ending up at your 4th choice.  ;D

I had to look up what a Catahoula Leopard hound was...for some reason the picture in my head was different than google....I can still see them peeing on your traps, tho.   ::)

Do SM bass = mud lizards?  I'd catch those bait stealing *****s all day over white perch, lol!   :o

I wonder if the guys jigging who encroached on the area you were fishing were inexperienced?  (1. b/c they would think that's OK, and 2. b/c they couldn't catch anything). Who knows?

Oh, and that's a nice yellow to top off the pile, too!   ;D

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2023, 07:06 AM »
Glad to hear all the effort paid off for you Joe, the big pile is no surprise from you...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2023, 08:56 AM »
Always an adventure!  Nice haul despite ending up at your 4th choice.  ;D

I had to look up what a Catahoula Leopard hound was...for some reason the picture in my head was different than google....I can still see them peeing on your traps, tho.   ::)

Do SM bass = mud lizards?  I'd catch those bait stealing *****s all day over white perch, lol!   :o

I wonder if the guys jigging who encroached on the area you were fishing were inexperienced?  (1. b/c they would think that's OK, and 2. b/c they couldn't catch anything). Who knows?

Oh, and that's a nice yellow to top off the pile, too!   ;D

More like rock lizards, but mud lizards sounds more degrading.. :-\

Those guys spent more time screwing  around  with their electronics than fishing.. the jig bites been off, I know a VERY GOOD jig man that's done better with traps lately, I picked a few up  blind jigging with pimple and worm by dropping it down on their heads right after catching one on a trap, the jig bite will get better as  we approach spring.

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2023, 10:04 AM »
Nice report.  Glad to see you got up there. 

Offline benny8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2023, 10:47 AM »
Nice work Rocco! That's a great day!

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 30, 2023, 07:06 PM »
Nice pile of fish right there. Way to Put the smack down on em!
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline Steamtrain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 31, 2023, 06:39 AM »
Nice bunch of perch.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 31, 2023, 09:03 PM »
Way to get at em Joe. I'm sure Nancy was happy with that pile.  Bet your itchin to get out to your spot. Sounds like it's been tough conditions out there.  Hope that happens for ya soon.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 01, 2023, 07:41 AM »
Way to get at em Joe. I'm sure Nancy was happy with that pile.  Bet your itchin to get out to your spot. Sounds like it's been tough conditions out there.  Hope that happens for ya soon.

Thanks, she definitely  was smiling , I dont thing she cursed at the vacume sealer a single time..
"My" spot or one of them should be doable now, it will be even better once I can drive the wheeler on it.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 01, 2023, 07:47 AM »
Thanks, she definitely  was smiling , I dont thing she cursed at the vacume sealer a single time..
"My" spot or one of them should be doable now, it will be even better once I can drive the wheeler on it.

It's a b***h of a walk with the current conditions, hell it's a b***h of a walk in the glare lol... Haven't registered the wheeler yet, if we reach the machine ready point this year I'll probably just use the sled...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 01, 2023, 07:53 AM »
It's a b***h of a walk with the current conditions, hell it's a b***h of a walk in the glare lol... Haven't registered the wheeler yet, if we reach the machine ready point this year I'll probably just use the sled...

I already donated my 100 for the registration and club membership even though I dont use their trails..

Offline Steve01987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 02, 2023, 06:42 AM »
nice work Roccus, glad to hear your enjoyed some wine after your successful day.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.