Author Topic: Shanty mods  (Read 3239 times)

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
Shanty mods
« on: Oct 20, 2020, 07:43 PM »
Anyone else tweaking your shantys for the upcoming ice season?  Let's see those mods!
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Shanty mods
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2020, 02:32 PM »
Does grassing out my sled to tow duck decoys into the marsh count?
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline Walted

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2020, 11:07 PM »
It does if it has catch covers in the bottom of the sled.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2020, 06:59 PM »
I'll just go ahead and chalk this up to too much social distancing and losing my mind .......      I decided to put an electric trailer jack on my wheelhouse.  In all honesty, I justified this by thinking about how much faster I will be able to block her up and get to fishing........

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2020, 11:30 AM »
I haven't doe this yet. But I am thinking about using fiberglass driveway markers on my flip-over instead of the poles that came with my two-man Eskimo shelter. I have broken a couple plastic clips trying to get them over the poles. I was thinking of drilling a small hole in one side of the tent poles, then using a tapered punch to open and roll the hole larger and then inserting the driveway markers in the holes to keep the poles apart. Driveway markers come in 4 ft lengths and I would most likely need to cut them to the length I need and taper the end that is square so it will fit in the hole. These might even reduce some weight of the original metal poles.   
jbird68

Offline English

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2020, 01:05 PM »
I thought I had pics but I haven't taken any. Currently installing a Chinese Diesel cab heater in my angling shack. Just finished one in my Dark House and I think I'm going to love them!  Oh also putting catch covers in the Angling shack. Got it far enough done to fish out of last year and am still working on her!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2020, 02:58 PM »
I haven't doe this yet. But I am thinking about using fiberglass driveway markers on my flip-over instead of the poles that came with my two-man Eskimo shelter. I have broken a couple plastic clips trying to get them over the poles. I was thinking of drilling a small hole in one side of the tent poles, then using a tapered punch to open and roll the hole larger and then inserting the driveway markers in the holes to keep the poles apart. Driveway markers come in 4 ft lengths and I would most likely need to cut them to the length I need and taper the end that is square so it will fit in the hole. These might even reduce some weight of the original metal poles.

I'm not finding it on the web right now, but I was at Home Depot the other day and they had flexible... PVC?... pipe that was in 1/2" and possibly 1/4". Might be worth looking into.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2020, 03:08 PM »
Not the shanty per say...but a better way to haul it.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2020, 04:02 PM »
ice,
Can you show a closeup of the end of your auger?  the disc you have is unique.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2020, 04:11 PM »
ice,
Can you show a closeup of the end of your auger?  the disc you have is unique.

Well, it's just a piece of round wood stock I got at a hobby/craft shop that I painted black. I attached
 hose clamps over some plastic tubing, above and below, to hold in place. Lot cheaper than those "gadgets" out there as auger savers.

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2020, 08:30 PM »
I’m at the shallow end of the dream pool guys but working on my next up and coming sled for this season. I would like to have a castle at some point but right now just wiring my little heart away and making it happen. I’m super close.

Be well and DO Good Work!

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2020, 08:59 PM »
Looks great Drew.  Nice cup holders.  I'm getting ready to mod my sled soon so thanks for the ideas. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.