Author Topic: suspending husky jerks  (Read 3796 times)

grumpymoe

suspending husky jerks
« on: Jan 13, 2004, 03:44 PM »
i know i've mentioned this in some posts, but has anyone tried suspending large husky jerks on either rods, or tipups??? i use at least an 18" leader when i try this.  grumpy

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
Re:suspending husky jerks
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2004, 11:35 PM »
Funny you mention that ;D I have also posted a few things about using suspending/floating baits through the ice and I think that it would work very well if set up right. I actually tried this idea fishing for salmon and trout on lake champlain. I used a yo-zuri pins minnow which is floating and set it up like a drop shot style rig which you could use a large pimple or a weight. And guess what, landed my first salmon through the ice that way in less than 5 min of using it. Most of these style lures are more realistic than most vertical jigging lures and they produce very nice flash. You just have to be careful so as not to hang up your line on the front treble while jigging. Why not try a suspending on a tip-up? I might do that :'(
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

grumpymoe

« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2004, 07:21 AM »
wvboy  i have actually used this last winter while trying to relocate some large northerns while perch fishing. they suspend very realistically, but what i've noticed is they are very wary and will make several slow passes before whacking it. watched one large one hit, and actually spit out the treble hooks. oooops--gave out my secret for the tournament  ::) ::) ::) ::)

maple

« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2004, 08:34 AM »
Do you modify the lure to put the eye on the back like in a jigging rapala ? This might help prevent getting the hooks caught in the line .......... I'll have to try it ...... the rattle and flash might entice a bruiser to bite .......

grumpymoe

« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2004, 08:39 AM »
maple--no modifications whatsoever. they suspend perfectly level. grump

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2004, 09:51 PM »
This may sound dumb, but I've never even thought about trying suspending baits  :-[ Great idea!!!! :D
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

grumpymoe

« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2004, 07:20 AM »
like i said. BLEW MY LUNKER SECRET BEFORE THE TOURNEY!!! good luck everyone. grumpy

iceman0002

« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2004, 12:57 PM »
what about rapala countdowns has anyone tried those they sink at a rate of 1 foot a second and are great for determining the depth at which you are fishing i used to jig the 1/8 of an ounce one in the summer and crappies and bream would attack it

Offline wormwigglr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: suspending husky jerks
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2005, 11:52 AM »
i know this is an old post but did anydody find this to work?

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2005, 08:35 AM »
I did try this yeaterday, But I guess the 18" leader must be the trick, I found it didn't put enough weight on to even pull the line tight. But it did suspend very nice in the water.

grumpymoe

« Reply #10 on: Mar 30, 2005, 08:29 PM »
they do work...and here's a pic of a suspending husky jerk in the package...deadly...don t worry about getting extra weight...just a few seconds and they kill the pike....Grump

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.