Author Topic: After Snipping the Front Hook off a Jig'N Rap  (Read 2250 times)

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
After Snipping the Front Hook off a Jig'N Rap
« on: Jan 24, 2011, 09:16 PM »
After Snipping the Front Hook off a Jig'N Rap, I take a file and round it off.  I just want to prevent any possible sharp edges from rubbing against my line.  If anything else, I won't be injuring myself.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline puddlefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: After Snipping the Front Hook off a Jig'N Rap
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2011, 02:19 PM »
what does this help??? give it better action?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: After Snipping the Front Hook off a Jig'N Rap
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2011, 06:24 PM »
What does this help?  I won't be injuring myself... ;D  with that front hook or hooking into things I don't want to.

Most of all it will allow fish to inhale the lure easier, not that it truly needs to.  However the hook set is better on the trebles without the front hook to interfere.  Many times a fish is attacking the lure from the midbody and that front hoot may get in the way.  If you've ever try to give a hook set and miss, some of the miss may be because of that front hook.  Sometimes when you get a hook up and it's just the treble, look at your Jig'N Raps and see how the hook up is.  I see the front hook preventing the lure from being taken in with the hook extended outside at the edge of the mouth.  Not all your Jig'N Raps will need the front hook snipped.  If the fish are doing a head bite, that front hook is great for immediate hook up.  I only snip off the smaller ones, since they're meant to target smaller fish.

Does the lure have better action?  Not sure, but it doesn't appear to have any worse action.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.