Author Topic: FLX-28 help!!  (Read 4357 times)

Offline tweekinburrito

• IceShanty Rookie
FLX-28 help!!
« on: Mar 20, 2016, 07:17 PM »
Finally decided to get myself a Vexilar FLX-28 last month. After trying it out a few times, I'm not too sure if I'm totally impressed yet. I haven't been able to try it out in deep water yet. Deepest water I have fished with it has been about 20 feet. Anyway I've noticed when fishing in shallow water, I'll be using a 1/16oz tungsten jig and it appears very big on my display no matter how much my gain is turned down or if I have it on low power mode. I know they say you're supposed to have it so your lure appears as a "thin green line" but I can't do it with this thing. Is it just because the proview transducer is extremely sensitive? I've been doing a bunch of research past few weeks and not a lot of info is really answering my question. Can someone give me some tips or let me know what I'm doing wrong?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: FLX-28 help!!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2016, 08:02 PM »
 fishing 10 ft with no problems in lp mode and use manual depth set at 20 range if I remember right using auto depth range my jig was huge.but under 10 a 3mm jig is pretty big.anything over 10 is a nice thin line though.the proview is great for 20 and over depths.

Offline tweekinburrito

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2016, 08:26 PM »
fishing 10 ft with no problems in lp mode and use manual depth set at 20 range if I remember right using auto depth range my jig was huge.but under 10 a 3mm jig is pretty big.anything over 10 is a nice thin line though.the proview is great for 20 and over depths.

Thanks for the tip and reply! I haven't tried that option yet. Most the time when I'm fishing under 10 feet, I will either leave it in auto or switch to manual 10 foot range. Haven't tried the 20 foot range in under 10 feet of water. Definitely going to give that a go next time! Thanks again.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2016, 08:14 AM »
im pretty sure thats the setting I was using in 10ft.i know in the 10 ft setting the jig is about a half inch long and the fish marks looked like whales.lol.also in lp mode my gain needed to be around 1/4 turn to mark my jig.ive been off the ice for months now and forgot the exact setting I was on but was in 10ft for sure my last time out.in real shallow water ive heard guys running lp and weed mode together too.i think once you get familiar with everything the flx28 can do it will  be alright but if your in shallow  water all the time the proview might not be a ideal set up.tri beam or 12 are good all around ducers.i fish 10 to 40 ft around here and the proview works good in those depths but really shines 20 ft and over .

Offline MochaMay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2016, 09:35 AM »
I agree with Dr.

Playing with the range, LP mode & weed mode will help considerably. But I still was not happy and picked up the new Tri-Beam transducer and I like it much more than the Pro-View. I fish from 5-35' of water with my FLX28 and now that I have it dialed in, I love it!

Offline tweekinburrito

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2016, 06:04 PM »
I agree with Dr.

Playing with the range, LP mode & weed mode will help considerably. But I still was not happy and picked up the new Tri-Beam transducer and I like it much more than the Pro-View. I fish from 5-35' of water with my FLX28 and now that I have it dialed in, I love it!

I'm thinking if I still don't like it then yes, I will try another transducer. I hear the tri-bean is no longer made due to a lot of issues with it? Where I live it's quite hard to come across a tri-beam ducer. Although some places have the 12 degree ducer. Is the 12 degree the next best option?

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2016, 06:38 PM »
I'm thinking if I still don't like it then yes, I will try another transducer. I hear the tri-bean is no longer made due to a lot of issues with it? Where I live it's quite hard to come across a tri-beam ducer. Although some places have the 12 degree ducer. Is the 12 degree the next best option?

The tri-beam was redesigned a couple years ago and is usually readily available for sale on Vexilar's own direct website.  The new ones have the red bottom.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Mar 21, 2016, 09:13 PM »

The Tri Beam is available via Vexilar ...kinda mixed reviews on the Pro View ...I have the Tri Beam and love it .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline MochaMay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2016, 09:36 AM »

The Tri Beam is available via Vexilar ...kinda mixed reviews on the Pro View ...I have the Tri Beam and love it .

The video link explains the differences between the two but I still like my ti-beam much better.

Also in the Video they are showing the old ti-beam (Red Bottom and collar around the bottom)  of which they had problems. Since then they have switched back to the same manufacture of all their other transducers and it no longer has the red on sides (collar) but only on the bottom. I purchased mine directly from Vexilar in January of 2016 this year and ever since the ProView sits on the shelf.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2016, 11:41 AM »
I also have the new  model tri beam and run that on my fl20.still running the proview on my flx28.i like both ducers but the proview get used  more as im always switching cone angles and gain with the tribeam getting my screen display like I want it.less fiddling with settings with the proview.jmo

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.