Author Topic: Tip up troubles  (Read 1323 times)

Offline nixstyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tip up troubles
« on: Jan 05, 2013, 08:37 PM »
So, I've been having troubles with my tip-ups for crappies and I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or any ideas to help improve my catch rate. First, let me say that you don't have to feel bad for me. I certainly didn't go fishless. In fact, between me and my father, we caught 30+ nice size crappies today. Funny thing is, only three or four were on tip-ups (we are allowed 5 tip ups each). The rest were all jigging (one rod each).

So why such a disparity? We even used the same bait. When a shiner died on a tip-up we replaced it with a fresh one and tipped a jig with the dead one -- and then pulled one up. I even drilled a hole right next to a tip-up that wasn't producing and pulled out 5 fish while jigging the same dead shiner. What's wrong with the tip-ups!!!???

Offline ckfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tip up troubles
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2013, 08:41 PM »
Do you have leaders tied on? If so, what size line? What hook are you using for your tip up rig? Also I've noticed that if the minnows are too close to the bottom they will bury themselves in whatever cover is down there in an attempt to hide.

Offline nixstyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2013, 08:48 PM »
Using about 4 feet of 4 lb. fluro leader. I have a portable fishfinder and make sure the bait is at least a couple feet off the bottom. I use the same fishfinder to drop my jigs to the right depth, and then watch the crappies come in. Using a few different sizes; #4 #6 and #8 Gamakatsu octopus hooks. I should also mention I was using 2 to 3 inch shiners, so they're not too big to swallow or anything.

Offline tjkpopup

• IceShanty Rookie
  • TjK
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2013, 09:55 PM »
its gotta be the action... has anyone ever tried the wind tip up??? where it jigs your bait???   ive had little luck with these and pike but theyll bite on whatever
Ice Fishin Computer Tech

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.